• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.0.6.146

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
http://gms.yoyogames.com/GameMakerStudio-Installer-2.0.6.146.exe

Release notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update 2.0.6.146 of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using http://www.yoyogames.com/bug if you do not have direct Mantis access.

You should post here if:
  • You think you have found a bug and have exhausted all other possibilities (ie: code error, incorrect setup, etc...)
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found in the ProgramData folder for GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behavior
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Note that each new version released the old topic will be locked and a new topic will be made, so that all issues reported can be tracked correctly on a per-version basis. If you think your issue has not been fixed in the subsequent update, then please add a comment in the thread and ensure you file a bug report. (Please don’t continue doing this for every future release until your bug is fixed - just file the report and then you can leave off mentioning it in the thread).

Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

UPDATE: IDE 2.0.6.146 / Runtime 2.0.6.96 hotfix released to address offline mode and a few other fixes listed in the release notes

Last edited:
Is it just me, when I click on the release notes link it takes me to the previous build release notes.

Edit: Also...woohoo!, can't wait to try the new build!

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Heeyyy - Release Notes and RSS feeds are not updating currently so we are fixing this - you should still be able to get the version and new runtime as normal using the direct link above.

Edit: All good now!

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Glad to see you guys addressed the issue of 3D vertex buffers in HTML5. It works... better. I can now display static 3D images in HTML5.

Unfortunately, the room background is only drawn in the x-y plane (as in a 2D room). So any 3D animations (or camera motions) smear immediately since each frame is effectively "persistent" without the background.

But it's a step in the right direction. Anyway, I'll make a small example and file a bug report.

UPDATE: The 3D "smearing" in HTML5 disappears if you choose to use views. The "clear viewport background" option removes the last frame before a new draw. So 3D animations don't smear.

However, the background (sprite or color) is still only drawn in the X-Y plane. So the HTML5 display will have a black background. So that's an issue.

However, the HTML5 performance in 3D is FANTASTIC. Can't help showing this off (sorry):
HTML5 Demo of 3D: hairy things in 3D

Nice work guys. Super performance in HTML5, even with enormous vertex buffers.

C

Curial Lloses

My eyes are crying with this:

The format for project files on disk is to be further reworked in a future release to better support git merges

We have a new release and I amb so eager for the next! :D

chubigans

Great bug fix work y'all, eagerly waiting for pre-multiplication for images! :)

Probably a dumb question but is there a reason the insert key doesn't work in the code editor? Is that a glitch or am I likely overlooking something?

king javo

My game won't run when clicking the play or debug icons after upgrading to new version 2.0.6.136.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall with no luck. I've tried to run other previous projects with no success.

Can you please help?

I'm receiving the below error in the debug.log file...

[0509/212804:WARNING:content_browser_client.cc(622)] No browser info matching frame process id 3 and routing id 1
[0509/212804:WARNING:content_browser_client.cc(622)] No browser info matching frame process id 3 and routing id 1

Downloaded the entire GMS2 again from the main downloads page. Reinstalled and now works. The upgrade download was not working for some reason. Oh well, I'm good now... Thanks!

Last edited:
F

Feast For Worms

Posted a few bugs, but found out it was an operator error. Sorry! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chishi

Now the room background takes no more the whole room but only a part, stretch doesn't help it, now the game is unplayable.

Tried to: Downgrade and reUpgrade Result: Nothing

Hyomoto

Great bug fix work y'all, eagerly waiting for pre-multiplication for images! :)

Probably a dumb question but is there a reason the insert key doesn't work in the code editor? Is that a glitch or am I likely overlooking something?
I'm pretty sure there just isn't any support for it. I generally used the built-in editor, but there are times I have to copy paste my code into Notepad++ since it has a lot of features GM2 lacks. Glad to see the new local search and replace, that is one instance I had to do it a lot. What a time for an update, I'm hoping nothing broke!

EDIT: Looks good so far, everything running fine. I definitely had a number of issues with the older build so I'm looking forwards to seeing if this new build is 'teh awesome'!

Actually, it does seem to be running A LOT faster than before which would clean up two major gripes of missed keystrokes and unregistered double-clicks. Excitement intensifies.

Last edited:
Everything works and I want to tell everyone working on GMS2 that you are great!

Build is installed and running smoothly! Thanks for all your efforts.

Will report anything amiss as I find it. For now all is well in GMS2 Land.

Hyomoto

I already found a pretty big problem. It's workable but the horizontal scroll bars in the code editor snap all the way to the right when clicked and cannot be adjusted. Vertical bars work fine. I admit I don't use them all the time so this is a smaller issue but it's one I really hope will get fixed sooner than later. I pushed the bug report already.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Is buffer_get_surface() available for HTML5? My tests runs fine in Windows. But in HTML5 the buffer values are all 0. No errors... just all the elements are 0.

As a test, I printed the buffer contents to the screen. In Windows, the buffer values are the expected pixel color values. But in HTML5, they're all zero. (I verified the surface is OK in both cases.)

I notice the manual says buffer_SET_surface() in only available in Windows... is this also true for buffer_GET_surface() ? Or is something else wrong?

Last edited:
B

bakor

Now the room background takes no more the whole room but only a part, stretch doesn't help it, now the game is unplayable.
Same here. In addition, it makes the transition between rooms go awry. This is really a game breaking issue!!

Hyomoto

Well, at least one problem is still going strong. I just had the infamous "my project suddenly runs at 3/4 speed bug" but this time restarting the IDE did not fix it. I had to log out or WIndows and back in, and then it worked fine. I'm so glad the new IDE is so much faster, but this bug seems to be getting worse. When I went to log out I noticed Windows wants to update (of course it does, I forgot I use my computer on Microsoft's time). This hadn't been a consistent issue lately, and it was clearly worse on my Surface Pro (which updates ALL the time) so maybe there's something with Windows 10 and updating?

Once again this issue doesn't seem to generate any relevant logs or anything, the project just runs slower than it should for no apparent reason. But if there's something I can try I'm all ears.

EDIT: It also resized all my windows in the IDE. Maybe THAT's related because THAT is a HUGELY annoying bug. (yes I filed bug reports for all of these)

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Is buffer_get_surface() available for HTML5?
Nope, not on that yet I'm afraid. We are slowly getting it on everything, but I'm not exactly sure what it's implemented on just now.

We putting some extra effort into the HTML5 one to make it more of a seamless transition. If you spotted any of my tweets, you'll see I've exported some pretty big games seamlessly in some cases (and had a few others die a death). But my goal is to make an export to HTML5 be like all the other targets - "just work".

There will be some language issues. MyCall(a++,a++,a++) for example will probably differ across platforms as it depends on the compiler stacking etc. But... function wise, we want it all to "just work"/

This build has a major HTML5 parent collision issue fixed, which has actually been in there forever - pretty much. It was deep in the bowels of it, and a scary one to change, but it should now be identical to native. I'm also slowly adding the missing commands - like buffer stuff, and making stuff more consistent. buffer_md5() returned a different value on HTML5 to native, and we're looking to add binary file loading to HTML5 as well using buffer_load_async(). So lots more coming!

R

RATInteractive

Nope, not on that yet I'm afraid. We are slowly getting it on everything, but I'm not exactly sure what it's implemented on just now.

We putting some extra effort into the HTML5 one to make it more of a seamless transition. If you spotted any of my tweets, you'll see I've exported some pretty big games seamlessly in some cases (and had a few others die a death). But my goal is to make an export to HTML5 be like all the other targets - "just work".

There will be some language issues. MyCall(a++,a++,a++) for example will probably differ across platforms as it depends on the compiler stacking etc. But... function wise, we want it all to "just work"/

This build has a major HTML5 parent collision issue fixed, which has actually been in there forever - pretty much. It was deep in the bowels of it, and a scary one to change, but it should now be identical to native. I'm also slowly adding the missing commands - like buffer stuff, and making stuff more consistent. buffer_md5() returned a different value on HTML5 to native, and we're looking to add binary file loading to HTML5 as well using buffer_load_async(). So lots more coming!
Mike what has happened to global.vars since this update it has broken my game

Code:
Object: oReplay_Button Event: Create at line 3 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Script: scr_gameover at line 8 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oGUI_MenuScores Event: Draw at line 5 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oRed_Balloon Event: Step at line 10 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oRed_Balloon Event: Step at line 14 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oRed_Balloon Collision Event With oLazer_Perk at line 1 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oBlue_Balloon Event: Step at line 10 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oBlue_Balloon Event: Step at line 14 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oBlue_Balloon Collision Event With oLazer_Perk at line 1 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oGreen_Balloon Event: Step at line 10 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oGreen_Balloon Event: Step at line 14 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oGreen_Balloon Collision Event With oLazer_Perk at line 1 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oTNT_Balloon Event: Step at line 10 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: GUI_Ingame_Scores Event: Draw at line 5 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: GUI_GO_Score Event: Draw at line 3 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oReplay_Box Event: Create at line 1 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oMenu_Button Event: Left Pressed at line 1 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oMenu_Button Event: Left Pressed at line 3 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oReplay_Button Event: Create at line 1 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Object: oReplay_Button Event: Left Pressed at line 1 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Creation Code in Room: Room_Init at line 3 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable
Creation Code in Room: Game_Room at line 1 : "score" is a global built-in and cannot be used as an instance variable

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
You can no longer use "built in" variables as normal (local, or global) variables. This is because it wasn't actually using the variable you thought it was! It was using the built in one, and this was causing a fair number if bugs in peoples code.

"score" is a built in variable, so you can either remove the "global." part and just use the built in, or you can do a global rename on it.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I'm also slowly adding the missing commands - like buffer stuff, and making stuff more consistent.
<snip>
So lots more coming!
Thanks for the heads up on this. Was banging my head over buffers in HTML5. Even tried saving a buffer in Windows, and then including that file in HTML5 to reload it. No errors.. but scrambled results in HTML5.

I feel HTML5 is possibly the most important Studio export for the future. So I'm looking forward to having these buffers-related features in HTML5.

In the meantime, I'll try putting my height field data in a ds_grid and saving an ini file and reloading with ds_grid_read().

Last edited:
I'm dying for a more detailed changelog... this update broke so many parts of my game and I have no idea where to start fixing them because I don't know what all was changed/fixed behind the scenes.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Thanks for the heads up on this. Was banging my head over buffers in HTML5. Even tried saving a buffer in Windows, and then including that file in HTML5 to reload it. No errors.. but scrambled results in HTML5.

<snip>

In the meantime, I'll try putting my height field data in a ds_grid and saving an ini file and reloading with ds_grid_read().
Well, looks like data structures in general are a bit buggy (or non-existent) in HTML5.. not just buffers. Mike, you're killing me here. o_O

Just kidding. I finally just used the old-fashioned approach and saved the height values (i.e. z[i,j] ) as a basic .txt file with a Windows build. Then I "included" that data file in the HTML5 build. Works as expected. So my terrain fly-through is working fine.

Cpaz

Was the audio group issue fixed (the other one) yet? Still getting a console full of "failed to load audiogroup_1.dat" Or is it being still being investigated?

EDIT: I even made a new audio group (with a different name) and i'm still getting errors for the record

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
buffers in HTML5 must be base64 encoded currently (they will then decode and be binary again), as when it was done you couldn't load binary stuff. There are restrictions though, you MUST load binary via buffer_load_async() as web API doesn't allow for synchronous loading of it - and is in fact deprecating ALL synchronous loading, meaning at some point the current var buff=buffer_load() will just stop working.

Binary data isn't supported on IE at all, and promises (async wait) isn't widely spread either yet, so as always with HTML5 we're kinda stuck a little.

What Data structures are broken? I've not had any issues with them?

Not noticed any audio group stuff. You'll have to make a simple example and file a bug.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
buffers in HTML5... <snip> ...so as always with HTML5 we're kinda stuck a little.
I understand your dilemma. An evolving web standard, as well as differences among browsers.

What Data structures are broken? I've not had any issues with them?
When you revealed that HTML5 buffers didn't work yet, I abandoned my use of buffer_get_surface(). I then tried the old-fashioned draw_getpixel() data with ds_grid_write/get(). Worked fine in Windows, but garbled the data in HTML5. So I gave up for now.

That's when I decided to just build the data file "ahead of time" with a Windows build -- and then include that data file in my HTML5 build. That two-step process probably makes more sense anyway, so the player doesn't wait for the conversion from sprite data to height field data.

So I'm going with this approach for now.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Mmm... I've not had any issue with HTML5 grids - and I use them a lot. I'd be interested in seeing the knackered sample....

sylvain_l

Am I the only one for whom the offline (no connection) and airplane mode don't work anymore with 2.0.6.136 ? :'(

with a error popup saying that "the remote name could not be resolved : account.yoyogames.com"
(if connected, it connects direct, without login box)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Mmm... I've not had any issue with HTML5 grids - and I use them a lot. I'd be interested in seeing the knackered sample....
I tossed those failed attempts, in favor of the solution I mentioned above. But I'll go back and try to reproduce the error.

The cause may be the draw_get_pixel() call in HTML5 -- and not the grid, or the save/reload.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Well, the draw_get_pixel() function is an empty function, not sure what would have come back from it - probably undefined.

Electros

Hi - is anyone else having problems with working offline? I upgraded to 2.0.6.136, then went out and tried to work offline on a project - kept on encountering the below. Occasionally it did let me through where I could do a bit of work, but then froze when went to File > Save Project As.

Getting the same repro'ing by putting my laptop into flight mode. Is there anything else I need to look at?

ConnectionRequired.png

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Well, the draw_get_pixel() function is an empty function, not sure what would have come back from it - probably undefined.
I see that now. A list of these "non-functions" in HTML5 would be useful. But not a big deal -- I know it's evolving.

Taking another look, are there ds_grid "format differences" between Win and HTML5 builds? Like when an HTML5 game reads a ds_grid savefile previously created by a Windows game?

In my tests, I run a Windows game that converts a sprite to ds_grid data, and then saves that grid data using ds_grid_write(grid), with ini_write_string(etc).

If I reload that data in a Windows game, it is exactly the same as the original data. However, if I reload that data from inside an HTML5 game, it's not the same -- in fact, the browser hangs.

Last edited:
A

Almericus

I can't believe that no one has noticed that the stretch function is not working anymore for the tilesets/backgrounds. Every single room I have is messed up now. Most of them don't even display.

How do I get this fixed?

J

Jmannorway

There seems to be a missing entry in the manual for background_color.
In addition to this, the manual gives me different results depending on whether I type "color" or "colour" it makes things confusing.

I'm also having a problem with setting background color through code in an object. When I put "background_color = c_black" (or any other color) it doesn't work. This may be due to my inexperience with GameMaker Studio 2 but, as it stands I cannot read up on the issue as the entry for background_color doesn't exist.

edit: seems like I cannot yet include links even with the use of the 'image' button, sorry

Electros

Am I the only one for whom the offline (no connection) and airplane mode don't work anymore with 2.0.6.136 ? :'(

with a error popup saying that "the remote name could not be resolved : account.yoyogames.com"
(if connected, it connects direct, without login box)
@sylvain_l Sorry, didn't see your post - was wondering whether if it was just me or not. It's raised on the support forum also.

Traversal

On starting Game Maker Studio 2 I get: "The underlying Connection was closed: An unexpected error occured on a receive."

I can't finish my work now. Do you even TEST your updates???

WTF -.-

S

Storyteller

thank you for your hard work.
you have made mine and thousands,
if not millions of people's dreams of being game makers easier.
you deserve strawberry milkshakes.

seamless upgrade. all my projects were right there.
after a few restarts for the runtime upgrade, it hung on me once, white screen, several minutes.
it loads my html5 project just fine, a little arcade style avoider. works great.
my noise lab for desktop project loaded just fine, it makes a chart of lines and writes numbers on screen just fine.

everything looks to be working great here so far. good deal.

bluetrack

Application crashes on start. Tried reinstalling 2 times. I get the error below. After another reinstall app closes immediately after launch without any message.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: GameMakerStudio.exe
Application Version: 2.0.6.136
Application Timestamp: 591117e8
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.18666
Fault Module Timestamp: 58f33794
Exception Code: c0020001
Exception Offset: 00000000000095fc
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 9aa4
Additional Information 2: 9aa4beebfdeba9c43820f0dabbf70248
Additional Information 3: 005d
Additional Information 4: 005de053943364f5679a2c4b8e60daf1

rellmaker

I'm no longer able to create executables for Mac OSX. This was working on v2.0.5.49. After upgrading I noticed that my projects were missing and I had to go back in and set up my targets (Windows, Mac). All the configurations were gone. I am able to connect successfully according to "Test Connection" in the MacOS section of the Device Editor. When I Create Executable, I get a pop-up dialog from Igor stating "No suitable authentication method found to complete authentication (publickey.keyboard-interactive). I've clicked "Send Error Report". (see attached img).

Edit:
Host machine is running Windows 8.
Target Machine is running OSX 10.11.6.

Output window:
---------------------
C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.6.93/bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe DONE (0)
Options: C:\Users\rellmaker\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\My First G_B423F90E_55BE6ED6\PlatformOptions.json
working dir: C:\Program Files\GameMaker Studio 2
C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.6.93\bin\putty\yyputtygen.exe C:\Users\rellmaker\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\rae_1161913\yoyo.ppk -O public-openssh
Igor complete.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rick
igor-error-msg.png

Last edited:
S

Siracher

Background stretching is not working anymore correctly. It looks good in the room editor, but is messed up in the final game or preview.
Same thing with Alpha on Backgrounds. Instead of the correct Alpha all is solid now.

Bug report is sent... Hope this get fixed asap

F

FiveSprites

Sadly, I'm finding this latest version to be rather unstable.

It sometimes refuses to start up, other times attempts to start then immediately crashes out. Most of the time it's random crashes from within the editor - even when I'm not doing anything. I left it open just now, went away to make lunch and came back to find it had crashed - again. The UI.log doesn't really help either - no indication of why it crashed.

I'm going back to the previous version which was rock solid.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Can you please file a bug and include your UI.log file, along with a DXDiag.