• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion GMS2 suitable for cross platform browser based mmorpg?

H

Habeebafett

Hello community, as the title suggests I am curious if GMS2 is a suitable platform for a rather ambitious project I have been planning for a while now. I need the following

Intuitive development environment that grows with my skill levels and the projects scope

Be exportable in a format that would run the bulk of the data handling on a dedicated server (s)

Allow many users to connect concurrently in real-time as clients via a browser, thus ensure multi device compatibility with suitable account security features

Allow collaborative development by more than one than user

Allow standard mmorpg features, such as currency, trading, xp and levelling, grouping, Quests and rewards, inventory, paper doll, etc.

Obviously the above is all a long way off and I understand the complexity and scale of the work involved. I just want to get started with wire frame design and prototyping with proof of concept on the right development engine from the get go, so as to get the foundation right and not need to redo alot of work later.

I already have a lot of content written, some assets and a barebones database for records and relationships sorted just need to bring it all together. Graphicaly it will not be too demanding, somewhat reminiscent of pokemon with 2d top down exploration and interactions with players, npcs and beasties and instanced turn based combat.

I am prepared to pay for a suitable platform and have the dedication and time required. I am actually a computer science teacher and this idea has been a pet project of mine for some time. I have students willing to help with asset development, scripting and content writing as an after school club and am keen to get started as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and offering any advice or answers you may have

Regards

H

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Well, this CAN be done and one of our respected developers proves it - @True Valhalla is currently working on a browser MMORPG, Kingfall. However... this is NOT a project for the faint-hearted (Kingfall has been in production for a few years now) and you will need to have an extensive knowledge of GameMaker, JavaScript and probably a few other things to make it work. It can be done though, and more than a few people have made online games using GameMaker, although not generally browser-based.

H

Habeebafett

@Nocturne
OK thanks for the swift response. Am also experimenting with one or two other major platforms. I'll see how things go. .. Wish me luck

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
It's certainly possible, but behind a project like Kingfall is a team of expert GameMaker developers with decades of combined experience, access to distribution channels capable of reaching 70,000,000+ players, and a 6-figure production budget partially funded by a following of 30,000+ fans. Kingfall is an independent MMORPG that I have been working towards creating for well over a decade - that's how long it took for me, as an individual, to put enough pieces in place to make this attempt viable.

And in that time, there really hasn't been another significant GM MMORPG even on the limited scale of classics like Stick Online. There's a reason for that, and it's not because GameMaker itself is an obstacle, it's simply that building an MMORPG is extremely resource-intensive and plain difficult to execute in practice. My advice is to start with some basic prototyping, take small steps forward, and don't spend any money hiring people until you thoroughly understand the realities of this endeavour.

You can be confident that GameMaker will not be the deciding factor in your success/failure. It's a very capable engine.

Wish me luck
Good luck!

H

Habeebafett

@True Valhalla .

Thanks for the detailed feedback - and do not worry, I am aware of the scope and complexity of such an endeavor, this is a serious attempt at a serious project, my time scale to some form of functional prototype working, that shows all the unique elements I plan to bring, and some of the reasons that will hopefully make it attractive to players and financiers is a long way off. I figure maybe 12 - 18 months to have a proof of concept. Functional Alpha, maybe 5 years. Before that all I plan to invest is time, sweat and swear words... and maybe a couple hundred dollars on a development engine.

Hence the reluctance to get started properly unless the development environment allows such a project to be feasible - so thanks for the encouragement! :) Hope your dreams come to fruition soon.

Mert

If you think that your time and money will go waste by choosing Game Maker, from my personal experience I'd say no, It'll definitely be worth it. But, you must also know that you'll be able to continue until a point where your game will demand more than what Game Maker can provide.

H

Habeebafett

If you think that your time and money will go waste by choosing Game Maker, from my personal experience I'd say no, It'll definitely be worth it. But, you must also know that you'll be able to continue until a point where your game will demand more than what Game Maker can provide.
Thanks,
Yes I understand that, but as long at allows me to visualise and concepualise my ideas fully, and the assets and source code developed can be migrated to whatever else I move to, thanks fine.