• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion GMS2 Sprite editor - Rotate layer or selection

S

Stefano88

Hello GM community, my name is Stefano and I'm new to GM and game programming in general.

I enjoyed my trial version of GM2 for a few days now. I went through the first tutorial and now was looking up the nice sprite editor. I can't manage to rotate a selected part of a frame though (not even an entire layer). It seems that I can only rotate the entire sprite (and only by 90° or multiples).
Is there a solution without the use of another software? Am I missing something?

S

Stefano88

http://docs2.yoyogames.com/index.html?page=source/_build/2_interface/1_editors/images.html

See the section on Tools > Rotate Tool. Note you must make a selection then rotate that with the tool, or, make a BRUSH from the section (just select and CTRL + C), then rotate that.

;)
That's the problem:
I use the Rectangle select tool and select the area that I want to rotate. Then I click on the Rotate brush tool (I only have that one) wich immediately creates a copy of the area and transforms it into a brush. I want to rotate the area without creating a new brush from it.

D

Deleted member 13992

I have the same issue when I occasionally use the sprite editor. It's a baffling way for an image editor to rotate a selection if I'm completely honest (the part about it copying the selection as a brush rather than just rotating/flipping it like 99.9% of all image editors do), and I'd love to know if I was doing it wrong all along as well. Will keep an eye on the thread.

Normally I just use external graphics software.

edit: didn't realize this was such an old thread.

Karlstens

Hey I just bumped into this sprite edit work flow hang up too.

It would be great if users could rotate the copied pixels brush selection with keyboard shortcuts. Hopefully YoYo devs are listening :D Shouldn't be too hard to tap a button to rotate the brush 90°

Last edited:
Hey I just bumped into this sprite edit work flow hang up too.

It would be great if users could rotate the copied pixels brush selection with keyboard shortcuts. Hopefully YoYo devs are listening :D Shouldn't be too hard to tap a button to rotate the brush 90°
People have been complaining about GMS2's sprite editor's bizarre workflow and baffling design decisions since it was released. My first suggestion would be to submit a feature request to YoYoGames here, so that your voice is heard by the people who need to hear it; the people actually working on GM. My second suggestion would be to drop GM's built-in sprite editor entirely for an external one that has a workflow you enjoy, but I understand that's not exactly the kind of solution you'd want to hear.

Karlstens

People have been complaining about GMS2's sprite editor's bizarre workflow and baffling design decisions since it was released. My first suggestion would be to submit a feature request to YoYoGames here, so that your voice is heard by the people who need to hear it; the people actually working on GM. My second suggestion would be to drop GM's built-in sprite editor entirely for an external one that has a workflow you enjoy, but I understand that's not exactly the kind of solution you'd want to hear.
You've read my mind, writing the devs a note as I type. :D

Tyg

i use paintshop pro, but theres paint.net for free, i dont bother trying to edit sprites in the editor except for moving frames around