GMS2 Room Layers/Room Parenting

A

anomalous

I'm creating rooms in the GMS2 room editor and I have all of my now-necessary "layers" in the room, for each tile layer, instances, etc.
I plan on having a lot of rooms, and the question is, how do I set up those layers so that I don't have to manually add/rename them in every room if they change as it's being developed?

For example, you have 30 rooms, and you add a "particles" layer, and going back to every room and adding that...is that how this is done?!
I thought parenting would do this, but parenting seems to actually parent the child *data* in addition to the layers...correct?

A

Alex_Beach

Make 1 room with all features, then right click it and duplicate it. If you add features later, then there's no way around dodging adding that to all rooms. With proper planning of your game, you shouldn't have to go in and add new layers.

I've used the room parenting method and it works fine for layers. You set up one room (the parent room) with all the necessary layers, etc. and then just create child rooms in the resource tree off that one room. Then any changes you make to the parent (including adding/removing instances, tiles, etc.) will automatically be done to the child rooms.

See the section for Inheritance on this page: https://docs2.yoyogames.com/source/_build/2_interface/1_editors/rooms.html

I thought parenting would do this, but parenting seems to actually parent the child *data* in addition to the layers...correct?
Not sure what you mean by "parent the child *data*". The parent room details gets applied to all the child rooms, along with all of the details that you subsequently add to that child room. Can you explain a bit more what you think it would be doing?