• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows GMS2 quirks: IDE Hangs/Crashes, recent windows not showing, and code windows with 0 height.

jedy567

For as long as I can remember I've been experiencing these quirks with GMS2. Because they aren't really life-or-death, they're easy enough to tolerate (if annoying because they interrupt work flow), but I'd like to see if I'm not alone here. I hesitate to call them bugs because these may just be consequences of how the IDE works. Are these common issues that others have with the IDE too?

Quirks with the IDE and the IDE hanging:
  • When working in a workspace, sometimes right clicking and window and selecting "Close all but this" will cause the IDE to hang indefinitely until the Windows "Not Responding" dialogue box can be created by clicking anywhere in the IDE. I get that this is probably due to working with a lot of windows open at once and the IDE freaking out (maybe when it goes to animate all those window closes or something).
  • Sometimes, adding assets to the project or dropping files into the "included files" folder from Windows explorer will also prompt a very long (but usually recoverable after 10-30 secs) IDE hang.
  • Every time I run the debugger from scratch, the "graphics" tab always has the "render states" side fully open, and the "surfaces and textures" side completely collapsed. Why isn't this split evenly? Every time I want to check a surface I have to drag the tab divider to the left.
  • Occasionally, but especially after resuming my computer from sleep mode, the IDE window will be "always on top." No other windows may be in front of it until I close and re-open the IDE entirely.
Quirks with "recent windows" and code windows bugging out:
  • Sometimes, clicking a window from the "recent windows" list will fail to do anything at all, even if the desired window is not in focus or visible (and thus the editor should animate a transition to that open window). The window is not pulled up -- it's as if the reference to the window is no longer tied to its entry in the "recent windows" list.
  • Other times, moving back to a recent window through the "recent windows" list will reveal that window to now have automatically adopted a height of 0 -- only the frame of the window (with the window name and toolbar along the top) remains. This window cannot be enlarged normally (by grabbing a corner of the window and dragging out).
    • One way to open this window and see the code is to maximize it, which defeats the purpose of it being a window since it now takes up the entire editor.
    • The other way is to just close the window entirely. Sadly, this removes the window from the Recent Windows list, so often this means killing the code window and pulling up the object or script again through the editor, which wastes a lot of time.
I understand that some problems can stem from PC specs, but I'm running a gaming PC with more than enough CPU, GPU, and RAM (Xeon 1230v2, 1070Ti, and 16 GB, respectively), so I don't think these quirks are dependent on my setup. I've temporarily disabled IDE animations, but that visual feedback when working in a workspace is pretty important to me, so I'd rather have it on.

Last edited:

obscene

I've never seen any of the issues you describe and I've been using GM for a long time. Have you tried a fresh install?

jedy567

I've never seen any of the issues you describe and I've been using GM for a long time. Have you tried a fresh install?
I guess it's good that these things are just me then :p I haven't done a "Fresh install" since I started using GMS2. I assume that means not just upgrading to newer versions but actually completely removing all GMS2 data beforehand?

I'll try a clean install, but these issues have been present in every version of the IDE I've ever used, going on nearly 2 years now. It's good that they aren't widespread!