• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows GMS2 Project Crashes on Opening (Other Projects Don't)

BiTrunade

Hello there,

I was working on a project and when I tried to run the game a process is terminated due to stackoverflowexception. error shown up on the compiler and an Igor.exe has stopped working error as well.

I saved the project as a new file but the problem kept recurring, I then exited GMS2 and opened it again, and it crashes immediately upon opening, just the GMS2 has stopped working. error.

I have tried running other projects (even an earlier version of the project) and they run okay. What has caused this issue? GameMaker did not save backups that I can import, I have 2 backups of the new project, both of them crashing upon opening.

The last thing I did was creating and animating a sequence, and then after that, the game would not run.

I cannot include the project here as it is a project for a client, but I would happily include it in an official bug report if this issue happened to be a bug.

I am on GMS v2.3.0.529. I have not upgraded to 2.3.1 yet.

1606281867291.png

Last edited:

BiTrunade

1606281378694.png

Importing assets from that said project into a new empty one also causes this issue.

@rmanthorp @Nocturne @Mike any help would be appreciated. I am working within a deadline and a huge portion of the project's new updates is in this version and its backups, which are all not working now.

BiTrunade

The last thing I did was creating and animating a sequence, and then after that, the game would not run.
And that was the issue, I have deleted the sequence .yy file from the project folder and the game ran okay. What caused this issue? I have noticed some lagging when animating the keyframes or when playing the sequence. I am quite happy the project is working now, but I will keep an eye out for such issues. A bummer it has wasted 3 hours because of such thing...
1606287049082.png

SnoutUp

Check the UI log/crash log files in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2 they can help with sorting these kind of issues out on your own, although you'd still have to risk and manually edit project file (make backups).

BiTrunade

I'd say file a bug report. You probably want to include the problematic file as well.
Check the UI log/crash log files in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2 they can help with sorting these kind of issues out on your own, although you'd still have to risk and manually edit project file (make backups).
It is a bug. I have read the UI log and have found numerous lines of DoUndoableAction: [I]SEQUENCE PROPERTY[/I], all of them referencing said sequence. I will file a bug tonight along with the GMS project and the UI file.

Thank you all very much for your help.

torolecarte

For anyone having similar problem in 2022, I've found out another reason for this error.

If you moved your project on a external drive from another computer, or even in the same but using different user, GameMaker will complain that the folder isn't safe because the ownership of folder is different from logged user.

To solve that:
  1. Go to your Folder
  2. Open Properties
  3. Go to Security Tab > Advanced (button)
  4. Right next to the label "Owner" you'll find a link/button to change the ownership, click it
  5. In the new window opened you'll type the name of your logged user or email
  6. Click on Check Names
  7. Once found your User, click OK
  8. You'll be back to the previous window and a new option shows up "Change ownership for child folders and objects", make sure it is CHECKED
  9. Click Apply, OK (it may take a few minutes depending on number of items to update)
After that I was able to load the project again.

Slyddar

While we're talking of these random crashes, at the moment I have a bug in my Stable install which causes the same crash when I have a .git folder in the project root. If I name it to anything else it loads, and then I can name it back to .git to get my source control working again. I've reported the issue, but the word is no one else is having the same problem. Thought it worth adding the info here though, in case someone else finds the same issue.