• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GMS2 MSCVCR110.dll was not found

Vintendi

I just got a new pc with windows 11. I'm unable to run any game with shaders because I receive the error "The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCR110.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this issue". I tried reinstalling but it did not fix the issue. Most comments suggest that this is an issue with Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, specifically 2012 update 4. I tried reinstalling this and also no luck. I check that MSVCR110.dll is where it is suppose to be and it is. I'm out of ideas..

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Vintendi

Only thing I can think of is to install the DX runtimes.

Possibly sounds counterintuitive, but in the past the shader compiler component, wasn’t installed by default on a clean install of windows. As a result GM programs that used shaders would often crash.

Might be worth a try. Can’t hurt anyway. :)

Let us know how it goes.
It has a prompted asking for a location. What location is this meant to be installed in?

Nobody

It just unpacks to a temp location, so I’d just install it to a folder on the desktop. The real installation will happen after that. If it doesn’t, then run setup from the folder you chose.

Vintendi

It just unpacks to a temp location, so I’d just install it to a folder on the desktop. The real installation will happen after that. If it doesn’t, then run setup from the folder you chose.
Installing directx did not fix it

Nobody

Bummer. Was a long shot. But if you have successfully installed the VS 2012 Redist package, that’s all I had left in the old memory bank.

If it is a new install of windows, I’d verify that the graphics card drivers are installed and that it isn’t showing up as “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter” in device manager.

Vintendi

Bummer. Was a long shot. But if you have successfully installed the VS 2012 Redist package, that’s all I had left in the old memory bank.

If it is a new install of windows, I’d verify that the graphics card drivers are installed and that it isn’t showing up as “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter” in device manager.
Everything seems to be fine. I'll just send over a bug report to gm. Could just be a windows 11 thing

Vintendi

Fixed it... Apparently gms2 needs the 32bit version of the redistributable which gm did not install

8BitWarrior

Bumping this as it might be an issue for more people unable to compile shaders:
As Vintendi mentioned, you will need to download the 32bit version of the Visual C++ Redistributable.
From the official Microsoft link below, hit [Download] then select [VSU_4\vcredist_x86.exe] and then hit [Next] to download. Then run and install the file.
Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 from Official Microsoft Download Center

As @Nobody mentioned, it seems fresh installs of Windows are no longer automatically including this. (I recently installed Windows 10 and experienced this issue)

Last edited: