• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion GMS2 Licenses?

TravsVoid

I have been looking at the GameMaker Studio 2 Beta and I am interested in buying when it releases but I have a question about the licenses. I would like to get the Web license but does that also include the Desktop license? Or would I have to purchase both to get the Windows and HTML5 export modules?

S

StuffandThings85

For GMS2, modules are all seperate, so you buy what you need.

S

StuffandThings85

Yeah, but you at least get a discount if you already have the professional version.

TravsVoid

Yeah, but you at least get a discount if you already have the professional version.
It cost $250 to buy the Desktop and Web license without a discount but $150 with the discount. I'm wondering if they will even let you get a discount on multiple licenses or does the discount only cover a single license purchase.

gnysek

Not sure, but even if HTML5, you may probably have "TEST" Windows version without export, same as in current "trial" beta.

TravsVoid

Not sure, but even if HTML5, you may probably have "TEST" Windows version without export, same as in current "trial" beta.
If the current Windows trial version was included with the Web License, the resource limitations would make it pointless.

L

Lahssoo

If the current Windows trial version was included with the Web License, the resource limitations would make it pointless.
I don't think that's what @gnysek meant.
If you only buy the Web module, you might be able to run the game in a VM local with no trial limitation, but you won't be able to export it.

TravsVoid

I don't think that's what @gnysek meant.
If you only buy the Web module, you might be able to run the game in a VM local with no trial limitation, but you won't be able to export it.
If I can't export why would I use it? The HTML5 target in Studio 1.4 is tested in the Web Browser. Regardless I still think the Desktop License should be included with every other license.

GMWolf

aka fel666
My understanding is that you need the professional version before younger the export modules.
The professional version includes windows export.

I could be wrong. But it is how gms1.4 worked.

TravsVoid

My understanding is that you need the professional version before younger the export modules.
The professional version includes windows export.

I could be wrong. But it is how gms1.4 worked.
That's how the licenses worked for the first Studio but I think GMS2 has a different license setup where you have to specifically buy the Desktop license to get the Windows target option.