• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX GMS2 keeps asking for login credentials at startup

H

Homunculus

Platform: Mac OSX El Capitan
IDE Version: 2.1.4.288 (happened also on previous versions)

Since a few weeks, almost every time I open GMS2 I get a "License is invalid" prompt and I'm asked to insert my account credentials in order to open the IDE.
This does not happen if I close the program and reopen it shortly after, but in general that's what happens if a few hours pass since the IDE gets closed.

Is this a known problem? Anyone else experiencing this behaviour?

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Hey there, Can I get you to go here: ~/.config/GameMakerStudio2/
And delete the um.json file.

This should mean the next time you start GMS2, your licence file is fresh. Let me know if this corrects your issue.

H

Homunculus

Tried this soon after your post, and haven't had the problem since then. Seems fixed.

Thanks!

hogwater

Do you have multiple graphics cards, or switch between monitors separately using your integrated graphics and a graphics card?

I have that issue, which is unfortunately expected behavior that Yoyo is not planning on fixing.

Dog Slobber

In this thread, Mike, explains to a Windows user that he needs to always revalidate because he has two graphics cards and the graphics card is a key element used to identify the machine and it's login session.

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...ery-time-i-switch-monitors.41793/#post-257348

Okay, that'll be it. Many thanks for checking. The graphics card is a key component and used to help ID the machine and it's login session. Changing it means the session will be invalidated.
There are several things that go into this in order to help give users access to the correct modules etc. This isn't something most users run across, as very few have 2 graphics cards, let alone continually swap back and forth with them as the "main" card.

Have you tried just dragging the IDE onto the other monitor, rather than setting it as the primary display?
You've said you only have the integrated graphics adapter and you're on a Mac.

While possible on some Macs, to install multiple graphics cards, it's simply not done often. Because of this I can't help but believe that there might be some other unusual hardware about your machine that is triggering the verification process to invalidate the session.

Is their something unusal about your hardware?

I think your best option is to submit a Helpdesk ticket.

H

Homunculus

@TheSpydog not yet, but I’m pretty sure this doesn’t really help on a mac since there no uninstall routine, and all the preferences scattered around the machine will be kept in the process.

@Dog Slobber thank you for the detailed info. I don’t have any unusual hardware, it’s a macbook pro, untouched factory hardware. I’m always on the move though and I tend to switch from ethernet to wireless to usb phone tethering a lot, wonder if that may be a cause.

Either way I already sent a ticket, just wanted to be sure it wasn’t some trivial thing

Dog Slobber

I think the switching of network access methods could be the cause

I would delete the json file
  1. Make a point of sticking with one method for a bit ensuring your in and out of Studio.
  2. Note if the authentication issue returns
  3. Switch the see if it returns.
Judging by Mike's response, I'm not sure if there is a solution . But knowing the cause could reduce impact.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Ah, OK - you mention swapping networks a bit - we are aware of an issue with swapping networks (wired / wireless / tethered etc.) on Macs - we are working on a solution.

H

Homunculus

I can definitely check if that's the case. It's not a big problem honestly, as long as you are aware it's out there