• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GMS2 is't available on Parallels Desktop(win10 enterprise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to develop a game on IOS,so i must use the virtual machine.
it's a great pity that the GMS2 is't available on PD.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
There will be a Mac version of the IDE coming sometime in the future... and it can work on Parallels, only it isn't officially supported. There are topics on this forum discussing how to resolve some issues, and I know that some people do use it regularly.

N

NPT

There will be a Mac version of the IDE coming sometime in the future...
What I'd like to know is if we buy our exports now, what will happen when the Mac IDE is released.

Will we have to buy the Mac IDE, if we own the Desktop?
Will we have to re-buy all the exports that we've purchased?

My own thoughts are, I fully expect to have to re-buy the Mac IDE version of the Desktop, but I'm hoping I shouldn't have to re-buy any exports again.

You guys really aren't helping with the purchasing decisions.

I know that being a MC owner my discount is for a limited time only, but I don't know for how long. I want to buy the exports, but I don't want to have to buy them twice, and if the exports are platform specific I only want to buy them once, I'd rather only buy them for the Mac platform. But given, that we don't know how long the our discounts will be that's not a reasonable offer either.

Could you guys please put some thought towards how you're going to price the the Mac IDE and if the exports are universal to either platform and announce it?

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
What I'd like to know is if we buy our exports now, what will happen when the Mac IDE is released.

My own thoughts are, I fully expect to have to re-buy the Mac IDE version of the Desktop, but I'm hoping I shouldn't have to re-buy any exports again.

You guys really aren't helping with the purchasing decisions.

I know that being a MC owner my discount is for a limited time only, but I don't know for how long. I want to buy the exports, but I don't want to have to buy them twice, and if the exports are platform specific I only want to buy them once, I'd rather only buy them for the Mac platform. But given, that we don't know how long the our discounts will be that's not a reasonable offer either.

Could you guys please put some thought towards how you're going to price the the Mac IDE and if the exports are universal to either platform and announce it?

That would be a complete non-sense!
This is not how it works... you'll not have to re-buy anything.
You bought the product so you can use the IDE on Windows or Mac.
IF you buy a product and have a license key.. and that product is available in Win and Mac the same key will work on both.. you just have to login with you account!

N

NPT

This is not how it works... you'll not have to re-buy anything.
You bought the product so you can use the IDE on Windows or Mac.
IF you buy a product and have a license key.. and that product is available in Win and Mac the same key will work on both.. you just have to login with you account!
And where exactly on the YYGs site did you find this?

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
And where exactly on the YYGs site did you find this?
That's just how it works, go for me on that! :)
It would be irrational for it to be like you said but, if so, then everyone would install a virtual machine...
get windows in it and install GMS2 there...

PS: if you would have to buy the IDE again... then YoYo games should have told that to everyone already!

It works like that for every multi-platform software there is... why would YoYo do it differently?!

There will be a Mac version of the IDE coming sometime in the future... and it can work on Parallels, only it isn't officially supported. There are topics on this forum discussing how to resolve some issues, and I know that some people do use it regularly.
The problem's been solved,thank you@Nocturne

N

NPT

That's just how it works, go for me on that! :)
It would be irrational for it to be like you said but, if so, then everyone would install a virtual machine...
get windows in it and install GMS2 there...

PS: if you would have to buy the IDE again... then YoYo games should have told that to everyone already!
If you can't post a link would you mind just keeping your made up crap to your self and let somebody of authority respond.

Just because you think that's the way it should be, isn't the way it is.

And why should I trust you? Having been a Mac and PC owner since 2009 I can assure you that not all software licences transfer from one platform to the other without cost.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
If you can't post a link would you mind just keeping your made up crap to your self and let somebody of authority respond.

Just because you think that's the way it should be, isn't the way it is.

And why should I trust you? Having been a Mac and PC owner since 2009 I can assure you that not all software licences transfer from one platform to the other without cost.
You shouldn't be that harsh with your words here in the forums.
Having been a Mac and PC owner for 10 years now...
and I can assure you that that's the way it works for most reputed and serious software companies,

Adobe is like that... (Graphics Software)
Steinberg is like that (Audio Software)
Unity is like that (Game Software)
JetBrains is like that (Programming Software)

and if you are right then I'll apologize to you.... but IF SO (I really doubt it),
YYG should refund everyone who bought it already
as it omitted info from costumers (that's not how business is done).

Lets say a PC owner... who buys software for it....
one day wants to change and start using Mac,
it would no be very logical for a person to have to rebuy all the software again.

He would need a lot of thousands of dollars just to continue using software he already bough

Last edited:
N

NPT

So what? They have nothing to do with YYGs.

Microsoft Office 365 subscriptions allow co-licencing between PC and Mac, but non-Office 365 purchases don't allow it.

I am fully aware that some software companies allow it. This is why I would like YYGs or somebody of authority to repond.

As much as you like to think you're an authority, you're not and you don't know. Is there any particular reason you think you can answer on behalf of YYGs?

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
So what? They have nothing to do with YYGs.

Microsoft Office 365 subscriptions allow co-licencing between PC and Mac, but non-Office 365 purchases don't allow it.

I am fully aware that some software companies allow it. This is why I would like YYGs or somebody of authority to repond.

As much as you like to think you're an authority, you're not and you don't know. Is there any particular reason you think you can answer on behalf of YYGs?
I'm not an authority, and I'm not trying to pass as one... just said it would be a non-sense if that happened...
that happens with Office because the software is made by an OS making company...
and they do care if you change from PC to MAC... because they will lose costumers buying their OS :)
which is not the case with 3rd party companies :)

EDIT: Another thing I wanted to add... if you pay attention to what they say in the site, when you buy the desktop/mobile/html you don't buy the IDE, you're buying the export modules!
If you were buying the IDE, then that meant that if you bought 3 export modules, you would be buying the IDE 3 times!! --' Give it a second read :)

Again, don't be rude to people in the forums.

Last edited:

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
YoYo have never said that the current Desktop Module pack entitles us to Mac/Linux flavours of the IDE.
And you are paying for the full IDE with the purchase of modules. Without purchasing an export of some type, you are using a trial of GMS2.
You need to pay for a license to unlock the full features of the software.

Nowhere on the site does it say buying now gets you future IDE access.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The Mac IDE is still a bit away, but I can assure you that thought is being put into this and we will announce it before it happens. As for your other questions:

I'll enquire about this and see if I can give a reply, but I suspect that the focus right now is on getting the IDE done and working, and any sales plans will not be set in stone (and so probably best not mentioned until definite).

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Buying an export module unlocks the extra features of the IDE...
if you buy the Mobile Module (only) you also get the unlock, and buying the HTML only will also unlock the software...

There is no equivalent to Master Collection within Studio 2.

What YYGs has done is given MC owners the ability to buy every module for 50% off.

So as an MC owner you can buy:
GMS2: $50
HTML5: $75
UWP: $200
Mobile (iOS Android): $200
Presumably any other exports at 50% off.

These upgrade prices are for an unlimited time only, and the expiration hasn't been published.
When you wrote GMS2: $50... it's not "GMS2: 50$" its "Desktop: $50"...
That's NOT the price for [IDE + Desktop module] (just the export module)
if you buy just Mobile, you also get [IDE + Mobile export]

As I said if you were paying the IDE, and you bought 3 export modules you would be paying the IDE 3 times.

EDIT:

1) The word "Desktop" is not Windows related an iMac is a desktop the same!
2) You don't have to buy "GMS2 module" for other to work... just buy "Mobile" and you unlock the IDE the same.

Last edited:
P

psyke

Having to pay for the Mac IDE is just nonsensical. When you buy a game on Steam, you don't have to buy another copy for a different OS.
A lot of people who bought GMS 2 will stop using the Windows version when the Mac version comes out, so do they have to buy it again? That's not right. That's the same with the export modules, if you bought it once, you shouldn't have to buy it again.

If Mac were going to be a separated paid product, then they should have done a Pre-Order in the same day of the Windows, so people could choose the correct OS.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I think people are mixing 2 different concepts, buying the Desktop Export Module is not the same as buying GMS2 for windows...
as the name says you are buying the export module.
In other words there is no "buy IDE and then buy modules for it"... there is only "buy modules".
and what's happening is that YYG limits the IDE if you don't own any module (just as simple!!)

Imagine you just want to program to mobile:

With GMS v1.4:
1) Buy GMS Pro ($144) -- here you were "buying the IDE"
2) Buy Android and iOS modules ($299 + $299)

With GMS v2
1) Buy Mobile module ($399) -- without discount

so again, you are buying the export modules not the IDE. So it's not logical to pay more for using the Mac version...
so it would mean that Mac users would need to WAIT MORE... or PAY MORE... then windows users.. that would be a lose-lose situation.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Sorry, we are not yet ready to announce anything about the upcoming Mac IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.