1. Hey! Guest! The 36th GMC Jam will take place between February 27th, 12:00 UTC - March 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback GMS2 improvement by fd2, 03: Name of created asset

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by fireday2, Jan 26, 2020.

1. fireday2

fireday2 Member

Good life to you humans from your planet neighbor!

I come here to offer improvements to our favorite gms2
    I will post my ideas and numeric it. It's the third
    (one is already done, a second is in progress. thx devs)

03. Name of created asset by using hotkey
    When you create new asset by using hotkey (sprite, object, etc) - The first you may want to do with it - to give it a name. And it will be nice if name convenient to you
    a) the suggest is:
    Set the focus to name label after creation
    And give the option: highlight the name or not

b) Make options in preference to default name
    For exp: I give names to objects in that way: o_Wall, o_Tree
    and it will be great if i can make base name like "o_". And when i create an object i can simply write the name without repeating perfix

At the moment, all gms2 users have to make extra click after creating new asset (if they use hotkeys) to give it name

-------
    Dear gms2 Users!, how do you think, Will be this function convenient to you?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Erm, create a new asset in the Resource Tree and start typing - the name is already highlighted and editable straight after creation.

What version are you using?

fireday2 likes this.
  3. fireday2

fireday2 Member

Win 10, steam version, IDE v2.2.5.481
    oh well. i forgot to say - my suggestion is actual when using hotkeys to create an object

rIKmAN likes this.
  4. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Ah I see, that makes more sense.
    If it helps in the meantime you can press F2 to edit the name of anything that opens in a code tab (script, shader etc) which means you don't have to search the Resource Tree, and things such as objects etc have specific input boxes to rename.

However I think this is a good suggestion that you should put into YYG using Help > Report a Bug in the IDE and choosing Feature Request.
    It should be a toggleable option as the Resource Tree auto scrolling would no doubt annoy some people - me included.

fireday2 likes this.
  5. fireday2

fireday2 Member

Thanks for explanations!
    F2 my favorite key ;)

And thx for advice, I will duplicate my suggestion

6. gnysek

gnysek Member

There are changes in 2.3 according to resource tree (more flexible, changed design), so I would wait with proposals to beta release, maybe it already works like it. Should be within month (I hope).

fireday2 likes this.
  7. fireday2

fireday2 Member

Thx for information! I go to wait :)