• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Gms2 image editor

Toque

Im trying to use the sprite editor more as it is handy.

My biggest annoyance is I can’t figure out the pencil tool right button to delete a pixel.

There must be a way to set right button delete??

Yes I read the docs. Watched YouTube tutorials.

Thanks

Toque

I think you just have to use the eraser tool, which is beside the pencil tool in the tool panel.
Ok. Disappointing. I thought I watched a tutorial on the editor a while ago and it was possible. I watched some tutorials again but I couldn't find it.

Other editors you can use the right mouse button for a shortcut for erase instead of changing tools constantly...... Its one of the reasons I can't use it much. Its great for small adjustments.

Thanks for replying.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Ok. Disappointing. I thought I watched a tutorial on the editor a while ago and it was possible. I watched some tutorials again but I couldn't find it.

Other editors you can use the right mouse button for a shortcut for erase instead of changing tools constantly...... Its one of the reasons I can't use it much. Its great for small adjustments.

Thanks for replying.
As an alternative, you can quickly change to the Eraser Tool by pressing E, then back to the Pencil Tool by pressing D.

All the shortcut keys for the Image Editor (and everything else) can be found in ther Shortcuts section of the manual.

Toque

As an alternative, you can quickly change to the Eraser Tool by pressing E, then back to the Pencil Tool by pressing D.

All the shortcut keys for the Image Editor (and everything else) can be found in ther Shortcuts section of the manual.
Thanks for that.

I know its seems trivial. But I place and erase then erase then place then erase then place........ hundreds of times. Its annoying when Im used to left click right click........
I can just use pyxel edit for bulk work.

I don't mind the GMS2 editor overall. The text tool is great! Its useful for lots of things!!

back to the jam.....
Thanks again.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
To erase a pixel using the pencil tool, just select the transparent "color" (upper left of the palette), then draw on the pixel(s) to be erased.

No reason the change tools to the eraser and then back again.

EDIT: not as simple as the right click, perhaps. But it may be easier than changing tools.
EDIT2: on second thought, it's no better than selecting eraser. Oh well...
EDIT3: actually, selecting the transparent color IS the eraser. Note to self: Don't comment on stuff I don't understand.

Last edited:

Toque

To erase a pixel using the pencil tool, just select the transparent "color" (upper left of the palette), then draw on the pixel(s) to be erased.

EDIT: not as simple as the right click, perhaps. But it may be easier than changing tools.
EDIT3: actually, selecting the transparent color IS the eraser. Note to self: Don't comment on stuff I don't understand.

AHHHHHHHH I see it. Yes thats perfect. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I watched a you tube tutorial and they assigned eraser to right mouse button but I'm old and could not find it.

Thank you for making the editor a little more useable. .......

Toque

Pfap

This is actually useful, it causes the pencil tool to become the eraser in a way.

rIKmAN

This is actually useful, it causes the pencil tool to become the eraser in a way.
I guess it depends on personal preference, but I personally prefer using the E/D hotkeys to switch as it's much quicker than having to move the mouse to the transparent colour, selecting it, moving the mouse back to the image, erasing, moving back to the palette to rechoose a colour and then finally back to the image.

It's always good to have options though so people can choose their preferred method.

Pfap

I guess it depends on personal preference, but I personally prefer using the E/D hotkeys to switch as it's much quicker than having to move the mouse to the transparent colour, selecting it, moving the mouse back to the image, erasing, moving back to the palette to rechoose a colour and then finally back to the image.

It's always good to have options though so people can choose their preferred method.
I would agree with you on shortcuts being better, but I don't use the image editor enough to know them without looking them up.

rIKmAN

I would agree with you on shortcuts being better, but I don't use the image editor enough to know them without looking them up.
That's the only 2 I know myself to be honest as I only use the Sprite Editor for small touch ups or basic placeholders / tiles for collision etc.

Although if you hover your mouse over the buttons in the editor the tooltip pops up telling you the hotkey so you don't really need to learn them.