• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GMS2 IDE and fan noise

Hi there, I just purchased GMS2 and I'd like to experiment a bit, but I got a weird problem.
When I run the IDE my laptop fan starts going up, because the editor uses the Nvidia GPU, rather than the embedded Intel card. The noise is annoying but there's also too much heat for my tastes!
I already configured the Nvidia driver in the control panel for the IDE, but it keeps ignoring it.
How does the GMS executable bypass the driver settings? Is there an option I can disable in Gamemaker?
Thanks in advance!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Check the "power saving" options in the General Preferences. Try lowering the AC power framerate and see if that makes a difference. You could also contact YYG through the helpdesk to ask about the issue if it doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I tried it, lowering the framerate to 35 (same as the on battery setting), but no success. Just opening GMS makes the fan spin louder... and using the editor just increases the noise and heat.
I will probably go through the hepdesk then.
Thanks!