• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution GMS2 Creator license question

L

LaughingCow

Can you publish a game to a 3rd party like itch.io with the $39 Creator license?

L

LaughingCow

In the description of the creator license it explains only that you can publish to the windows desktop. I wasn't sure if there was some kind of formatting issue that would keep the game from being submitted to a 3rd party for publishing. The other "developer" desktop license description explains that you can specifically publish in Steam or Itch.io.

JackTurbo

You should be able to yes. The creators edition is only a desktop export, so will export to some form of executable.

I'd imagined be that to distribute through itch or steam you would upload said executable to their respective systems.

The creators edition does require the made with game maker splash screen though fyi.

Personally I'd suggest getting the creators edition and starting development. If after a year you're enjoying GMS as a product, you can then upgrade to the full edition with a 30% discount.