Windows GMS2 creating Z drive?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Carnivius, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Carnivius

Carnivius Member

Why does GMS2 create this virtual drive Z: and shows what I assume are temp folders of various projects I've been working on or abandoned? Sometimes it vanishes while GMS2 is still open, sometimes it's still there long after I've closed it. I didn't really notice it until I was using the media player on my PS4 to watch some vids I downloaded and saw the list of drives from the PC as C, E and Z...

[​IMG]

2. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

It's a drive mapped to the temp directory, most likely to workaround issues with Windows only allowing paths to be up to 256 characters (128 in multi-byte mode?) on most occasions

Carnivius likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike nobody important GMC Elder

Yup.... This was mainly added for the insanely long Android paths - they're absolutely nuts, but are now used as a general build system to help the build and paths.

Carnivius likes this.
  4. rwkay

rwkay YoYo Games Staff YYG Staff

We had build problems over multiple targets so we generalised the system that was used to get round the same issue (Windows has a maximum of 255 characters in a file path).

Until MS release a version of Windows that does not have this limit (they are apparently working on it) we will have to live with this workaround.

NOTE: Mac version does not have to do this.

Russell

Carnivius likes this.
  5. james_castrello

james_castrello Member

I have a small problem with GMS2, I exported the project it a few times to my NAS so that way i can access it from work and work on the project there. When I was done with the project for the day, I would export it again and then FTP back to the NAS. When I get home I save the project file to my local disk and work on it again from there and so forth.

Problem:
    When I run the program (F5), I get the following:

How can I fix this?

6. Mike

Mike nobody important GMC Elder

does "subst" exist on your home machines?

7. stenol

stenol Member

Good to know that. I was thinking that something go wrong with my GMS2.

8. wipeout2185

wipeout2185 Member

They already have remove the limitation. In windows 10 version 1607 the max_path limit was removed. Not that it changes much until support for older OS's is dropped. The mapped drive solution is fine but from time to time the drives don't get released until the PC is restarted, not really a big issue though.

nb109 likes this.
  9. Krystof

Krystof Member

Hey did you fix it? I have the same exact error

10. Masterking

Masterking Member

I have also had a problem with GMS2

Problem
    When I click (F5)

Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
    elapsed time 00:00:05.5100651s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\thake\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff"  -- Windows Run started at 05/20/2019 20:34:36
    "cmd"  /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0807847s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 05/20/2019 20:34:42
    "cmd"  /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0867675s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 05/20/2019 20:34:42
    "cmd"  /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0907570s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 05/20/2019 20:34:42
    FAILED: Run Program Complete

Does anyone know how I can fix this

11. Masterking

Masterking Member

Actually I found out how to fix it

12. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Great, that will be really useful for anyone reading this in the future.

Mick and Nocturne like this.
  13. RyanC

RyanC Member

I have the exact same error on the same runtime 2.2.2.326
    This happened after Windows updated, Just wondering if anyone has the answer?