• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GMS2 crashes before launch

G

games4jack

I have not opened GMS2 in 3 months. Yesterday I tried to open it and got this windows message immediately.
~
GameMaker Studio 2 has caught a fatal exception
Please report this error via help.yoyogames.com and include your
UI.LOG file.
(C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\ui_crash.log)
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0x00000005)
Offset: 0x9FD206BE
Codebase: 0xCF450000
~
I am not sure what runtime it is. I could not find info on Steam and GMS2 will not launch for me to check there.
I believe i am on the current update. I have also reinstalled the program to try that.
I am not sure what to do or who to ask. I tried summiting a report but have not received any reply.
If someone here could help I would appreciate it. I just want to make games again!

Reactions: Mut
You can find the downloaded runtimes in c:\program data\gamemakerstudio2

You could try downloading the standalone version from the yoyogames website.

Just log in to your account and link your steam account.

G

games4jack

thank you indianaBones
linked steam and downloaded standalone. 2.2.4 same issue.

the first few lines of the ui_crash.log are here
~
**************************** FATAL ERROR ****************************
Exception in: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0306912.inf_amd64_f9424864132ce326\atio6axx.dll
~
atio6axx.dll says it is a file for my AMD opengl driver
we are getting closer! any more advice?

G

games4jack

it appears my graphics driver refuses to update. and has not updated in some time. hopefully this is the issue. I am trying to solve it now but these things take me time. I will update when my graphics card does.

You can force GMS 2 to use a software graphics driver by copying the file "opengl32.dll" from this folder :

C:\Program Files\GameMaker Studio 2\mesa

into this folder :

C:\Program Files\GameMaker Studio 2\

Edit: What are the contents of your ui.log file in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2?

G

games4jack

Forcing GMS2 to use the software graphics driver worked. I can load it up and have all my files working properly. I am very happy. thank you.

So the problem i had with GMS2 must be related to the problems i am having with my AMD card. which still has the update bug. but that is its own thing.
i will update when I have sorted that out.

I can post contents of my ui.log but that is a long file. from what i could tell I had an entree from 8-24-2019 running version 2.2.3 just fine.
after that it states a "fatal error" with a message referencing the AMD atio6axx.dll file again.

Forcing GMS2 to use the software graphics driver worked. I can load it up and have all my files working properly. I am very happy. thank you.

So the problem i had with GMS2 must be related to the problems i am having with my AMD card. which still has the update bug. but that is its own thing.
i will update when I have sorted that out.

I can post contents of my ui.log but that is a long file. from what i could tell I had an entree from 8-24-2019 running version 2.2.3 just fine.
after that it states a "fatal error" with a message referencing the AMD atio6axx.dll file again.
Glad to hear that worked. No need to post ui.log then as you mentioned its referencing the graphics driver as well. I don't know if the graphics problem is strictly driver related or something to do with GMS 2. Probably its driver related, but if you manage to fix the update bug and its still not working, you might like to log a bug with the YoYo Games helpdesk.

G

games4jack

100% AMD driver related. I had to completely wipe anything AMD from my computer and do a fresh install.
Thank you for your time and the temp software graphics solution. I can make games again!