• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GMS2 ".chm"

D

Daniel O'Brien

Hi all,

I was wondering if a '.chm' or 'Compiled HTML Help file' is included as it was with Gamemaker studio 1. I know that one can be accessed through the use of 'F1' in the editor but I personally prefer to open it in the windows inbuilt chm file viewer.
Thanks in advance

P

psyke

I don't think so.
They made that way so it can be more "portable" across platforms (Windows/Mac).

The '.chm' version was much faster in my opinion, but I'm OK with the HTML version as well.

D

Daniel O'Brien

I don't think so.
They made that way so it can be more "portable" across platforms (Windows/Mac).

The '.chm' version was much faster in my opinion, but I'm OK with the HTML version as well.
I came across the zip file with the HTML version in it before I wrote this post. I too preferred the .chm format. It was a lot faster. I even considered trying to compile the html files in the zip archives into a chm myself but decided it wasn't worth the effort... :(

<hint>
I would love it so much if YoYo Games were to publish a hard copy of the GML reference. I'd buy the book as soon as it was released
</hint>

Last edited by a moderator:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
A printed version of the manual would be obsolete by the time it hits the shelves because I report so many typos every week and annoy the living hell out of Nocturne so much stuff gets changed so frequently.

That aside, OS-native help files for the manual have been requested before, but given that the GM:S IDE is cross-platform, it was deemed more important to ensure that the supplied manual is compatible with all target platforms. Including native versions would introduce additional upkeep requirements and thus steal resources from other parts of development, too.

D

Daniel O'Brien

A printed version of the manual would be obsolete by the time it hits the shelves because I report so many typos every week and annoy the living hell out of Nocturne so much stuff gets changed so frequently.

That aside, OS-native help files for the manual have been requested before, but given that the GM:S IDE is cross-platform, it was deemed more important to ensure that the supplied manual is compatible with all target platforms. Including native versions would introduce additional upkeep requirements and thus steal resources from other parts of development, too.
Fair enough, i've whitnessed the errors in the documentation you talk about myself. Some of the tilemap docs are riddled with errors.