• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GMS2 and different languages

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I was wondering if GMS2 has the ability to use different languages, obviously GML but looking at the preferences menu I find it odd that the gml syntax highlighting and all those fun options are under text editors > code editor
and then I started thinking about how theres a plugins tab with only github source control

So I was wondering if GML bears some similarity to C and C++ in terms of its syntax (keywords, grammar and structure)
is there a way to have my setup of the ide use actual C++ rather then gml
the code blocks on the form support other languages not just GML

so TLDR:
Does GMS2 support other languages/ can I make it use a different code language?

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
No. Although other languages may come into play whilst working with extensions, different platforms, etc., there's no way to use a language other than GML as the primary scripting language of GameMaker, and as far as I'm aware, it's not going to change (anytime soon at least).

The other code block options on the forum are Xenforo's defaults.