GMS2 and BOX2D?

S

SobeDiver

Hey everyone

I want to learn more about using physics in GMS2 and had heard BOX2D was the best way to go but it seems all online info and tutorials are for GMS 1.4. Is the native physics engine in GMS2 the standard now?

I'm new and still learning but I want to start off on the right foot here: Specifically, I want to create a game with physics-based propulsion (inertia, lots of easing in/out) and have game objects collide and rebound off each other using accurate physics.

Thanks for any info!

Jezla

The tutorials for GMS 1.4 apply as well for GMS2. The only difference that I'm aware of between the two is that GMS2 added an additional type of joint (a 'wheel' joint IIRC). The fundamentals of setting up a physics world and defining fixtures and their properties, and applying forces and impulses, is the same.

If you want to delve into the physics system, I'd highly recommend the tech blog tutorials to begin.

S

SobeDiver

Thanks so much! I'll do that.

if my goal is to ultimately work with Box2D, it's still best to start with your link below?

The tutorials for GMS 1.4 apply as well for GMS2. The only difference that I'm aware of between the two is that GMS2 added an additional type of joint (a 'wheel' joint IIRC). The fundamentals of setting up a physics world and defining fixtures and their properties, and applying forces and impulses, is the same.

If you want to delve into the physics system, I'd highly recommend the tech blog tutorials to begin.

Jezla

Yes. In my experience they provide a good foundation. That, along with a good study of the manual, should give you most of what you need to use it properly. A basic understanding of real-world physics certainly doesn't hurt, either.

In my experience, the biggest thing that trips people up is when to use it, and when not to use it. Refer to this thread for help with that question.

S

SobeDiver

Thanks very much. The GMS2 manual is really well-made from what I've read so far, but would you recommend reading it start to finish like a text book or use it more as a reference manual?

Jezla

In regards to the physics system, I'd recommend at least the overview section, and the basic fixture, force, and impulse functions.

As a whole, you'll at least want to be familiar with the overview, the gml introduction, and how events work, and what the built-in variables and properties mean.