• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion GMS2 and accessibility?

A bit of an off topic aside in another topic brought up a potential for an interesting discussion: accessibility in GMS2.

• If you have a neurological impairment or are otherwise neurodivergent, how does that affect your experience with GMS2?
  • Is there something that could be done to improve your experience with regards to accessibility?
  • Is there something you really appreciate that GMS2 does with regards to accessibility?

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Because I am a raccoon and not a human can you please define
  • neurodivergent
  • WRT accessibility

Autism/Aspergers here

Even having a mode locking the workspace in place, fitting everything opened to the default area and having a setting to make the events pane open and hook to the side of the object editor by default would help a lot with the sensory overload I get from the scrolling workspaces and pop out chains

Being able to switch the room editor back to the old tabs instead of that weird layers dialog would also be nice but that's a much smaller pet peeve

Because I am a raccoon and not a human can you please define
  • neurodivergent
  • WRT accessibility
Neurodivergent: differing in mental or neurological function from what is considered typical or normal (frequently used with reference to autistic spectrum disorders); not neurotypical.
WRT = with regards to

EDIT:
Even having a mode locking the workspace in place, fitting everything opened to the default area and having a setting to make the events pane open and hook to the side of the object editor by default would help a lot with the sensory overload I get from the scrolling workspaces and pop out chains
Have you tried disabling the IDE animations?
1611880070281.png

Personally, I couldn't stand the workspace before I did that.

Last edited:
Have you tried disabling the IDE animations?

Personally, I couldn't stand the workspace before I did that.
I've only been able to watch footage of it being used to gauge it to see if it's worth spending the money on and for me it's less the animations and more the scrolling and chains in general that bugs me. I don't like oversized workspaces where I have to scroll around inside to reach stuff and the way the object editor works is just weird.

These chains where you have to pop out different options menus are just downright bizarre from a standpoint of making objecting editing as quick and simple as possible. I feel like it was done to make the IDE look cool with little consideration for how practical it is be opening and closing so many different panes while editing the object

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I have atypical Autism (formerly PDD-NOS), Tourettes, ADHD and OCD. Not all of these may be relevant. Since my medical records are rather crowded with lots of different opinions about what I have and don't have (some claim I have ADHD, others claim I don't, some claim I don't have OCD but the symptoms are a part of my Autism, or that I don't have Tourettes... no idea what the latter are thinking, do they think I just enjoy screaming "horny noodle man" all day for the heck of it?!), I won't be trying to pinpoint what's caused by what... because frankly, I don't have the slightest idea what's caused by a disability anymore (and if so, which one) and what's just me being weird (or personal preference)! :)

The one thing that irks me the most is that nothing can overlap anymore. Object windows, event lists, code windows... try to drag any of them on top of the others, or even slightly close to the vicinity of another, and SURPRISE, everything in your workspace shifts up or down. Especially irritating when done accidentally, as there's no undo for this sort of stuff.
I tried to integrate resource windows in workspaces into my workflow (keeping stuff I'm actively working on open on a workspace arranged in a way so I don't have to scroll when working with related stuff) but have since switched over to dragging any code windows into a separate workspace ASAP.

While I could say that I "at least" have columns there, it feels more like I "only" have columns there - and not an infinite amount, either - which, compared to other IDEs where I can slice tabs into as many code window tiles wherever I want, makes GMS' IDE rather limiting.
What bothers me here is not that I want to have 10 different files open on the same monitor as much as it is that I can't if I wanted to. No options for rows actually bothers me, though, as I'm used to having four code windows open at a time.
Sure, I can drag a workspace out from the main IDE and then position the window wherever I want, but that makes the menu bar, icons, workspace bar and tab header steal additional screen space on top of just adding visual clutter because they're all displayed on every window.

Finally, when moving code windows to a workspace, adding an event to the object afterwards doesn't make a tab for that event appear in that workspace. This is something I feel could be improved - if a workspace only contains events from a single object, and a new event is added to that object, open that event's code in a new tab in that workspace. Saves me from having to manually add the event to the right workspace.

PS: Please remember to file tickets for any suggestions mentioned here, as they will not be heard otherwise. ;)

Edit: evan if you no context this I'm going to send the horny noodle man to haunt you tonight

Last edited: