• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion GMS2 Always Online?

I

Input_Sphere

Hey folks,

on this thursday morning I wanted to start GMS2 but u got this error:

"The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable."

Now I understand that it´s beta and I am in no way angry, but why do I need a Server connection to start my project? In the summer I want to code outside, without an internet connection. So if GMS2 requires an internet connection I would really love it to be removed in the release.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Is a pretty good question.

GMS1 reports the connection error but then proceeds as per usual.

GMS2 reports the connection error, says that licence is invalid, fails to log you in, and crashes when clicking "Cancel".

Ideally shouldn't depend on website not being broken during startup.

Jobo

GMC Elder
I think an issue regarding this has been fixed internally. May need to wait until after GDC to get anything more specific.

GameMaker Studio 2 is NOT always-online. It only needs to be online once every two weeks (if I recall correctly) to communicate with the server.

gnysek

I think an issue regarding this has been fixed internally. May need to wait until after GDC to get anything more specific.

GameMaker Studio 2 is NOT always-online. It only needs to be online once every two weeks (if I recall correctly) to communicate with the server.
Russell mentioned it it should have come in latest release, but probably again failed. You guys are really often forget to merge some long-time-ago fixed things before release :) I know there is thousand of bugs you fix, but it's just either a mess in Mantis, or a lack of statuses, or lack of using "milestones/roadmap" feature, which would help to better track missing things.

Aaaand previously you were giving a list of fixed things (GM 8.x, GM:S 1.x), while now we got a short description of some new features, divided into two release note file in fact, and nearly no word on what has been fixed - only people who reported bugs and double checked them after update know a thing or two.

K

Kios

Aaaand previously you were giving a list of fixed things (GM 8.x, GM:S 1.x), while now we got a short description of some new features, divided into two release note file in fact, and nearly no word on what has been fixed - only people who reported bugs and double checked them after update know a thing or two.
+1 for detailed release notes. I'm new here, but I was amazed at how simple the release notes are currently. I personally like reading them, as do many of us.
I think the more info you guys share, the better.

Jobo

GMC Elder
If you want to discuss release notes, make a new topic for it instead of derailing existing ones. Nobody is going to go into a topic called "GMS2 Always Online?" to look for release notes feedback.

I

Input_Sphere

When I detached my LAN cable and had no internet connection it said my license was said to be invalid. But now with the server up, doing the same test again results in a succesful login while offline. So case closed, nice middle ground you found there!

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Well GMS2 definitely does not require you to be online and if there is no internet connection then it will allow you in in an offline mode that does not have marketplace access.

I have seen some anomalous behaviour though when the network is not fully connected (or very very slow) and the requests are not getting through.

The license may have been invalid if it had not downloaded correctly, or it had expired.

Russell