GMS2 2.3 Announcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyomoto

So, normally I don't like to be the kind of person that asks, "Hey, when's that thing coming?" I think I'm a little justified here though, and I'm a little surprised this question hasn't come up more often. On the 13th of November, 2019 in the blog post GameMaker's 20th Anniversary, Ross Manthrop writes:
Friday, November 15th, GameMaker celebrates its 20th Anniversary. In honour of the occasion, we are preparing a number of events for new and existing GameMaker creators, including a GameMaker 20th Birthday Game Jam, a special one day anniversary sale, and the announcement of the impending open beta release of 2.3, GML updates and sequences for GameMaker Studio 2, that will offer game creators even more tools to bring their vision to life.
At first I figured it was going to happen on the 15th, and maybe I missed it? But I didn't see anything on the official blog or as part of the jam. So then I figured, well, maybe it's at the end of the Jam. Then I was like, well maybe it's a November thing. Well, at this point even ignoring the announcement of an announcement, it is the last month of the quarter, and we're headed into the back half of the last month of the quarter . So, that being the case I feel like it is worth asking:

Is there any more information on this? Did I miss an announcement?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Added a question mark to the title so others don't get as disappointed as I did. ;P

There has not been an announcement yet. There has not been an implication of an announcement's publication date yet, either. You would find these in the Announcements forum.

H

Homunculus

I saw the thread before the question mark was added, now I'm sad :( .

I do hope for an announcement before the new year though, after all it should be in a beta phase according to the roadmap.

drandula

Hey, sorry about the lack of updates on this. I can say for now that the closed beta for 2.3 is currently ongoing and we should have something to share about the open beta of 2.3 this week. Thanks.
Can we hear something about closed beta, and when we hear about open 2.3 beta? I have been waiting this update whole autumn, as I need to rewrite some core parts of project, but it also will simplify them. So I am eager to hear some news :)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It should've been released 2 hours ago, assuming it would be released before end of business hours Q4 2019. Haven't looked into whether it actually was, but GMS2 didn't ask me to update when I booted up it right now, so... I guess it got delayed because the closed beta uncovered a lot of serious issues that needed to be fixed?

*looks into Annoucements*

Oh yeah, it's been confirmed.
Lastly, we would like to thank you all for a fantastic 2019. The closed beta of GameMaker Studio 2 version 2.3.0 (containing Sequences and the anticipated GML Updates) is currently underway and while we planned to have this released into open beta by the end of the year it's going to slip into early 2020. Sorry that you have to wait a little longer. It's a huge update and we hope you look forward to it as much as we are. We have also recently released a new 2.2.5 version with important improvements and fixes to see out 2019.
(emphasis mine)

drandula

Indeed, we have to wait more. But with my previous reply I meant, that could we have some news concerning new updates, comments of people trying out in closed beta, how things have worked and some unexpected behaviour etc. Also what we should wait of open beta.

They will announce it when they are ready, delays or not, I just would like to read things about it and how you can make use of them. Get mental map what I want to try out and what ways I can learn to use them.

Previously I have played with Verlet Integration and Neural Networks in GML, which needs currently a bit work-around, but with GML updates I think those could be more straightforward. For example Neural Network I have previously used Arrays, but 2D array has not been enough, so I have used multiple arrays with different variable names. With chained accessories I think this wouldn't pose such a problem. I am not sure, but it could make easier to store multiple 3D points of space in one Array, which I needed to do extra work when I was fooling around with physics simulations based on Verlet Integration. Also updates could make handling 3D vectors easier with methods.
As for current project, it heavily uses scripts, which could be handled more easily with methods and also storing information with Arrays will be changed, chained accessories making it bit easier for my project.

drandula

I suspect that anyone participating in any closed beta program would be under NDA and so can't say anything. ;)
Yes of course, that is one thing to assume from closed beta. I was more of thinking, if Yoyogames could itself interview those participating closed beta, and then give these comments to community. We could see comments of people and it wouldn't pose problem of 'leaking'. Although readers could think there might be selection bias and skewed for more positive appeal, as those comments would be filtered through Yoyogames.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Yes of course, that is one thing to assume from closed beta. I was more of thinking, if Yoyogames could itself interview those participating closed beta, and then give these comments to community. We could see comments of people and it wouldn't pose problem of 'leaking'. Although readers could think there might be selection bias and skewed for more positive appeal, as those comments would be filtered through Yoyogames.
What the hell is so hard to understand about an NDA? If an NDA is involved and YoYo gave the closed beta's participants one to sign, that act in itself should have told you YoYo doesn't want comments from beta participants going to the community, at least not until the open beta. You're asking a vegetarian whether she'd like steak for dinner.

The beta is closed precisely because they know stuff will be unready, significant shifts will be likely, and YoYo devs want applied time to iron it out. Open discussions on difficulties and quirks during this time have a high chance of being taken out of context and becoming misinformation in the future.

If you want to know what people think about the upcoming GML updates, read the AMA from when the updates were announced. There is enough information in there for you to make a reasonable forecast of what the new use cases are, especially if you have OOP experience. If you can't do that as a mental exercise, you can't really call yourself a coder.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Hey, sorry about the lack of updates on this. I can say for now that the closed beta for 2.3 is currently ongoing and we should have something to share about the open beta of 2.3 this week. Thanks.
Im in holiday without my recording equipment.
I hope beta will be available after I get back so I can get this tutorials out on the day.

drandula

What the hell is so hard to understand about an NDA? If an NDA is involved and YoYo gave the closed beta's participants one to sign, that act in itself should have told you YoYo doesn't want comments from beta participants going to the community, at least not until the open beta. You're asking a vegetarian whether she'd like steak for dinner.
If you can't do that as a mental exercise, you can't really call yourself a coder.
Whoops, didn't mean to anger anyone.
Edit. Also I wasn't sure what NDA was short for, sorry about that, I Googled it after your comment.

GMWolf

aka fel666
The beta is closed precisely because they know stuff will be unready, significant shifts will be likely, and YoYo devs want applied time to iron it out.
So you are saying the IS a closed beta?
It's confirmed? (Damn seems like I'm missing out)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
So you are saying the IS a closed beta?
It's confirmed? (Damn seems like I'm missing out)
It's been mentioned for a while. The most recent info about it:
The closed beta of GameMaker Studio 2 version 2.3.0 (containing Sequences and the anticipated GML Updates) is currently underway and while we planned to have this released into open beta by the end of the year it's going to slip into early 2020.
(emphasis mine)

I really hope early 2020 means something like 1st-2nd week rather than something like 2nd month. I've been itching to try out the new GML functionality for quite a while, especially after the recent code-heavy Jam entry of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.