OFFICIAL GMS2 2.3.2 Stable Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Has anyone else's projects or even PC's went black and couldn't close or exist the project or GameMaker Studio 2 if went into fullscreen while the game was running and the only other option was to resart the PC? Ctrl + Alt + Delete doesn't even work.

I had two instances where the player could switch from fullscreen to windowed during gameplay. But after recent updates, it just blacks out my PC and the only other option to fix it is to restart the PC. When this happened, all keyboard keys became useless. I'm reluctant to proceed further testing of it's behavior in case it actually crashes my PC or causes memory loss from all of the hard resets.

Since the screen goes black and I can't access GameMaker Studio 2 application, I can't access the Output log to file a bug report. It usually works the first time fullscreen is switched, but after a second or third (sometimes even on the first time), that's when it goes black. This had worked before no matter how many times I would switch back and forth to fullscreen and windowed.

These are the two places I have the fullscreen switch code at:

o_game (Main persistent Object) Step Event
GML:
if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_escape) {
    if window_get_fullscreen() {
        window_set_fullscreen(false);
    } else if !window_get_fullscreen() {
        window_set_fullscreen(true);
    }
}
In the o_pause_menu_ui Object Step Event using a switch statement.
GML:
case pause_menu_options.fullscreen:

audio_play_sound(Start_SFX, 10, false);

if window_get_fullscreen() {
                window_set_fullscreen(false);
            } else if !window_get_fullscreen() {
                window_set_fullscreen(true);
            }

break;
The same thing is happening to me!!! And I thought it was my computer... This has occurred to me several times and I have already updated the video card driver 2 times (mine: GTX 1050 TI 4GB), I have updated all the drivers of the PC actually, but the problem persists. The computer freezes and the only thing left is to shut the computer down hard with the power button... CTRL + ALT + DELETE don't works (basically the computer loses any keyboard input). I think this is a serious problem.

Already filed a bug on this :) actually 3 days before the last stable.. so it didn't make it on time.
But I think the problem was internally solved and should be corrected in the next beta release!

EDIT: The problem I filed was very similar to this but occurred on both x86 and x64 YYC
I'm glad I'm not the only one to witness this. I already sent them a ticket.

Last edited:

gnysek

Seems that new version is available
Fixes since IDE 556:
  • Note that all of these require the updated runtime also - sticking with runtime 420 will not give you any IDE changes
  • Fixed that if you tried to build iOS using the Windows IDE it could error with "The variable Xcode is not defined" (when the Mac IDE worked fine with that same Xcode install)
  • Fixed an issue stopping ARM builds of Ubuntu YYC
  • Fixed an issue where projects which contain a large number of audio files could fail to build
  • Added a compiler optimisation to speed up texture page generation during builds
  • Added a small optimisation to speed up loading projects
Fixes since runtime 420:
  • Fixed a CPU usage issue with the garbage collector, so now usage values should be much lower again on all platforms and also gives a slight performance boost compared to 2.3.1
  • Fixed an issue where projects which contain a large number of audio files could fail to build
  • Added a compiler optimisation to speed up texture page generation during builds
  • Re-fixed that the Animation End event does not trigger reliably when the sprite frames and game speed result in very small values

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Just seen I have been ninja'd already... ;)

That's the new update Russell mentioned just rolling out now (IDE 558 with runtime 423), so you should start seeing update notifications over the next few hours.

Note that you must update to the matching runtime 423 before you will get any of these changes. IDE 558 with runtime 420 would behave identically to IDE 556.
  • Fixed that if you tried to build iOS using the Windows IDE it could error with "The variable Xcode is not defined" (when the Mac IDE worked fine with that same Xcode install)
  • Fixed a CPU usage issue with the garbage collector, so now usage values should be much lower again on all platforms and also gives a slight performance boost compared to 2.3.1
  • Re-fixed that the Animation End event does not trigger reliably when the sprite frames and game speed result in very small values

YoYo Marketplace seems to be instantly rejecting all asset updates from GMS 2.3.2.556 (Marketplace > Update Asset Package), and getting stuck forever on "processing" when trying to update by an uploaded YYMPS file. I have put in a ticket for this last week, but there has been no response to date. Is the web development team aware of this?
Yeah, they are aware of a couple of users with this intermittent (but strangely repeatable for these users) issue. It's a web-side issue and nothing to do with 2.3.2 itself. Very sorry that you're still being affected by this - I have nudged them again earlier today.

My question for Dan is, did you guys intentionally fix this issue
Russell already beat me to replying. Also, again, blame Apple for the extensions codesigning issues in Catalina and above in your other comment - we just did as they requested, only now they offer the ability to ignore their own requirements, so we have simply now done that also ;)

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Regarding those of you who are suddenly seeing black screen issues since installing the initial 2.3.2 update, that was something we do believe was fixed back in 2.3.1 (my personal machine at home used to get the issue and didn't when we released that fix, plus a few of those people sending us tickets at that time confirmed the fix when we reached out for more info after 2.3.1 went out). I did just check the little sample attached to the ticket mentioned above and also re-checked the project we were using to verify the 2.3.1 change, and both are fine on all our machines just now. The ticket reporter said the issue stopped for them once they installed a pending Nvidia driver update - I happened to be on the previous driver as well, so I too did that update, but no change before/after for me.

If you do have this issue, at this time we can only say it appears hardware-specific and to ensure you're not using a copy of the game built with 2.3.0 or older and also to confirm that you're not in the middle of a driver update / you are on the current GPU driver. If you do need to send us a ticket because a driver update does not fix, please ensure you send us a small sample which causes the issue on your PC, plus attach a DXDiag report at the same time. Thanks.

However, I have confirmed that my personal machine and several others of ours all still get the window_set_size() white fill mentioned above as being documented in https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=31073, so I have moved this to the current bug database to investigate a fix. This is now on the in-game bug-reporting form's known issues table, so no need to actually follow that link.

Edit:
Summary: GMS 2 modified the code when importing into the new version.
To be clear, updating from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2 would/should not have done this. 2.2.5 to 2.3.0 was the last time your own project code would have been analysed and potentially modified for compatibility layer stuff, and GMS2 does not routinely refactor your code every update. If you do have a backup of the project and you can definitively show that simply opening that backup in 2.3.2 makes the change you're suggesting, please send us that backup (in its original form) so we can investigate here.

Instead, going from your code shown and the show_debug_message() results you gave, it does appear Alice was correct when saying that you were simply falling foul of the change to array_length() that everything you pass it now has to be a valid array otherwise it will no longer silently ignore the function call. You appear to be passing in "undefined", as Alice suspected, and so you now correctly get the code error dialog.

However, your second later issue about Windows x64 giving some odd results with working_directory plus another string expecting a number, I will get investigated / see if you have already sent us a ticket about it / see if it's the same root issue as the other person who mentioned sending us a ticket for x64 variable issues.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but I'm experiencing 2 really annoying situation, adding unnecessary steps in my progress;
  1. when I replace a sprite in the sprite editor (import button) , the changes isn't immediately reflected in the room editor. it'd still be showing the old image. When run on the emulator, it shows the correct new image. To fix it, I've to manually delete and replace the effected sprite/object which is showing the old image from the room editor in order to have it show the new updated image, alternatively I've to close the IDE and rerun.
  2. when I replace a sprite which is being use as tileset, the changes is correctly shown in the room editor, but when I run the emulator, those tiles goes missing. To fix, I've to reassign the sprite in the tileset and have to untick and retick the "disable source sprite export" box in the tileset editor in order to make the emulator show the tiles on screen.
Both of these are reported to us and are in our bug database. I will get them added to the IDE's bug-reporting form's known issues table shortly. Thanks.

Last night I updated my graphics card driver and running the code without the Alarms still did a black screen on about the 3rd fullscreen switch. I won't be testing anymore for the time being, since it is time consuming having to try something then wait for my PC to restart to have it go to a black screen when I try to switch to fullscreen.

So far so good with the new GM update, I can now toggle Fullscreen with Alt-Enter like crazy and won't trigger the NVIDIA Black Hole (yeah, I just came up with that).
Projects seem to be building much faster, too, that's really nice!

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I managed to update normally. As soon as I opened GMS 2, the message appeared, I downloaded and installed it. Everything is ok for while.

mbeytekin

Thank you but I already did so but for some reason it just updates the IDE. It loads the latest 420 as a runtime and it still won't install even though I downloaded the 423 manually.

OOps after resetting ethernet it works now :) sorry

Last edited:

kupo15

I just updated with this quick update and I'm experiencing horribly long freezing on game end. It takes like 4 seconds to shut down. Any idea why?

Also, it seems like the IDE is rebuilding my texture pages on each compile. Each of my massive texture pages takes at about 10-15sec to create each. Why don't they just passthrough quickly since they haven't been changed?

Last edited:

CodeManu

I just updated with this quick update and I'm experiencing horribly long freezing on game end. It takes like 4 seconds to shut down. Any idea why?
Don't know why or If It's related, but just updated too and my game just freeze forever and never ends.

mbeytekin

game end freezes mine too..
Also, not much has changed in the use of cpu. in a simple project cpu% 18, gpu% 14 .. There is only one instance in room and only one sprite

I installed this update today and now cannot open my old projects. When I try, GML minimizes to Windows taskbar and cannot be entered again.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the previous version I had been using, but the file still cannot even be opened to transfer code to a new project. My project is completely inaccessible.

ensomari

Updated to 2.3.2.558 / 2.3.2.423 today. Mostly it's fine but my game doesn't exit properly. Both VM and YCC runners on Windows hang forever, but I can still close it by hitting the Stop button (square) in GMS. Anybody else having that issue? It might have something to do with Steam? Here's the end of my Output log.

Code:
Entering main loop.
RequestStats - failed: 2
Audio setting channel count to 256
Game loaded.
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0
Steam_Shutdown1
Steam_Shutdown2
Steam_Shutdown3
Steam_Shutdown4
Steam_Shutdown5
Steam_Shutdown6
Steam_Shutdown7
Steam_Shutdown8
Steam_Shutdown9
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 1471460
SteamInternal_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197979925925 [API loaded no]

D

Deleted member 13992

2.3.2.558 - 2.3.2.423 takes a lot more time closing the runtime down that before. feels a little more sluggish on the run/stop. normal?

Shouldn't be a big deal most times I think. It's only a few seconds more.

On stop:

Code:
Not shutting down steam as it is not initialised
Script_Free called
Unsetting previous scheduler resolution of 1

X://windows/Runner.exe DONE (0)
Igor complete.
elapsed time 00:00:20.3187947s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.3.2.423/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\********\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run started at 04/14/2021 17:51:30
"cmd"  /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0648298s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 04/14/2021 17:51:50
"cmd"  /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0654419s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 04/14/2021 17:51:50
"cmd"  /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0668449s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 04/14/2021 17:51:50
SUCCESS: Run Program Complete

ensomari

2.3.2.558 - 2.3.2.423 takes a lot more time closing the runtime down that before. feels a little more sluggish on the run/stop. normal?

On stop:

Code:
Script_Free called

Igor complete.
elapsed time 00:00:20.3187947s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.3.2.423/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\********\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run started at 04/14/2021 17:51:30

elapsed time 00:00:00.0648298s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 04/14/2021 17:51:50

elapsed time 00:00:00.0654419s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 04/14/2021 17:51:50

elapsed time 00:00:00.0668449s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 04/14/2021 17:51:50
Nah, it really hangs like a frozen program for me. I've let it sit a minute and it just hangs frozen.

ensomari

Nah, it really hangs like a frozen program for me. I've let it sit a minute and it just hangs frozen.
Updated to 2.3.2.558 / 2.3.2.423 today. Mostly it's fine but my game doesn't exit properly. Both VM and YCC runners on Windows hang forever, but I can still close it by hitting the Stop button (square) in GMS. Anybody else having that issue? It might have something to do with Steam? Here's the end of my Output log.

Code:
Entering main loop.
RequestStats - failed: 2
Audio setting channel count to 256
Game loaded.
Steam_Shutdown1
Steam_Shutdown2
Steam_Shutdown3
Steam_Shutdown4
Steam_Shutdown5
Steam_Shutdown6
Steam_Shutdown7
Steam_Shutdown8
Steam_Shutdown9
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 1471460
SteamInternal_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197979925925 [API loaded no]
I has something to do with steam. I restarted my computer and it closed fine. Opened & logged into steam and relaunched my game via GMS and it won't close again.

The new GMS update still didn't fix the black screen. I've updatated my graphics card driver to the latest on Nvidia's website and I updated GMS as instructed and the black screen still shows. I wont be testing out any further on my desktop, since I don't think the constant hard resets are good for it. I'll try out more solutions on my laptop though. It also has a Nvidia graphics card though, which I think is a GTX 1050.

GamerXP

GC started taking some insane amount of time after this update. Blue line in show_debug_overlay is full-screen length and previously instant GC now takes around 2-3 seconds

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
The following bugs are internal. I don't know if this behavior is normal, it seems not to be, but:

1 - A static variable cannot be associated / defined from a local variable inside of a function without giving this error:

Realize that lenght is out of context.
If I put var _maxValue = 5; it also causes the error.

2 - I also noticed that on some other occasions , "toString" appeared...

I don't know how to reproduce this specific error again...

3 - This happens if I declare the _minValue and _maxValue variables without the prefix var.

4 - However, it works if it is static:

5 - And it works too (using var to say that they are local and static):

6 - This does not work, it causes the same error as the first image ("lenght" error):

I'm not using extensions or any other dependencies, it's just GML. Latest version of GMS (v2.3.2.558) and the Runtime (v2.3.2.423). Using Virtual Machine Runner x86. Windows platform.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Using gc_collect() is causing the application to stop responding for a while, and the blue bar runs until the end:

Using gc_collect() every 1 second with Garbage Collector disabled in Create Event.

Last edited:

Roldy

I showed several behaviors, you are referring to the third, right?
A static variable cannot be associated / defined from a local variable inside of a function without giving this error
That would be expected. Even though GML 'static' is a bit weird it is mostly similar to uses of 'static' in other languages; chiefly, that static variables are global variables with global life time, even if they are encapsulated within a namespace (class, object, struct, namespace).

Since local vars, in both functions and instances, and instance variables do not have global life time then you shouldn't be able to initialize static with either of them. Only other statics, constants or possibly other globals.

But it would be nice to have clarification of this and include it in the manual. It would be even nicer if the error message would indicate this instead of the generic message.

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I confirm that I also encountered the "local variable length not set before reading it", with length being completely out of context. It's been a few days ago, though, so I can't pinpoint a specific piece of code that caused it.
Generally, it does signal something is wrong and usually points to the correct line, it's the variable name that's wrong.

As for statics order: yeah, static variables are processed before anything else now, so you can't initialise them a local or temporary variable. Personally I prefer it that way - it allows me to define all the common functions in constructor struct after the initialisation code that might use them - but I can see how others could be thrown for a loop. xDGameStudios made nice tutorials about statics, with the first one here.

But yeah, hopefully it'll get added to the docs.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
There are some strange behaviors in the code editor. Suddenly it's showing errors, but it didn't happen before and the project runs normally actually...

I should use #macro for this, but it was only temporary.
And it is saying that gui_w and gui_h are not being used, but I am basically using this in literally all of my software.
The project is not corrupted.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

chirpy

On stop:

Code:
Script_Free called

Igor complete.

Same thing here. I've never felt the freeze before 2.3.2.558 - 2.3.2.423. Windows VM test run.
I thought it was about Script_Free since I use functions a lot in my project. However the hang is indeed before the following lines:
Code:
Script_Free called
After runtime window disappears, this line shows up:
Code:
Closing empty projects feel fast as usual.
Switching back to runtime 2.3.2.420 removes the issue.

Last edited:

gnysek

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
same here, but with runtime 2.3.2.423
Have you cleaned your project cache since updating the runtime? If it definitely still fails, send us a ticket with your full compiler log in a .txt file and your project as a .yyz download. please.

Domenec

The PC does not respond to me when I exit my project [game_end ()].
This happens to me since the last update. It doesn't give me any kind of error ...
Edit: It only happens to me when I have Steam open.

Solved: I have returned to the previous runtime (.420) and it already works.

Last edited:

gnysek

Does anyone reported this bug with game_end()? I'm not updating IDE and runtime for now cause, so I cannot do this, but I see no answers here which confirms that YYG is aware of this issue and works on solution.

Seems that YYG shouldn't make "hotfixes" without beta channel. I know that this slows down release by 1-2 weeks, but releasing hotfixes directly to stable usually ends with some other critical bugs under hood.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Domenec & @gnysek I was not able to replicate the bug! It works perfectly on Windows on my end!
There are some strange behaviors in the code editor. Suddenly it's showing errors, but it didn't happen before and the project runs normally actually...

I should use #macro for this, but it was only temporary.
And it is saying that gui_w and gui_h are not being used, but I am basically using this in literally all of my software.
The project is not corrupted.

Thanks for listening.
I had a problem similar to this some time ago... but after restarting the IDE it go solved.

Andrey

"Preferences: Fixed our Android NDK check, now that v22 has removed the "platforms" subfolder and moved tools locations around"

Hmm... it doesn't work for YYC?

ndk1.png
ndk2.png
ndk3.png
ndk4.png

I have a message:
ndk.png

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Does anyone reported this bug with game_end()? I'm not updating IDE and runtime for now cause, so I cannot do this, but I see no answers here which confirms that YYG is aware of this issue and works on solution.
Yes, we are aware and are currently verifying a fix. It's in the known issues table on the contact-us page also.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
That's runtime 426 (and the accompanying IDE 560) rolling out now to fix the CPU/garbage collector stalls, so you should start seeing update notifications over the next little while. That's the only change in this new release.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Would be nice if this list could be available without "logging + finding contact us page + selecting 'report a problem' + selecting anything from dropdown", especially that YYG website loves to log out every several hours, so checking this list requires some effort every time.
Yeah, we know. It is on the web team's task list to resolve that.

gnysek

Runtime 426+ fixes garbage collection/CPU stalls seen in runtime 423 with game_end() or gc_collect, or in-game memory usage climbing unexpectedly
Why IDE needs to be updated too? It's only because machine preparing builds makes them both at same time ? :p

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
You don't have to update your IDE also - you can absolutely update just your runtime if you wish. However, the recent notification screen we added for when people are unknowingly using old runtimes would currently show for this newer runtime being used also, so bear that in mind.

This is something we will of course fix properly for the next real release, but didn't want to do right now whilst trying to quickly fix this CPU/GC thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.