• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion GMS1 future support (Close the holes of the boat)

L

Luto

ok GMS2 looks good, but you need close the holes in the first boat (GMS1) before jump out to another boat (GMS2) not you think? what will happen about the GMS1 support and his current bugs?

J

joakimFF

Sink the boat and buy a new one!
just kidding YOYO has said several times that they will keep supporting GM:S1 for the foreseeable future so the bugs will surely be fixed but probably at a slower pace.

ZeDuval

Although I recently(like 60min ago, feels good man) purchased GMS2, I'd like to see the UWP module for GMS1 finished so that it works for mobile. I mean that's what the universal-windows-app is all about. I'd love to have a statement on this one since I didn't get an answer at the reddit AMA.

N

NPT

From Russel
said:
Support for GMS1 will carry on for some time yet and we will be upgrading SDK's and fixing bugs just as the announcement and FAQ said - it will be a significant time as well not just a few months.

Russell

From Mike
So I'll say it here; we fully intend to support 1.x for the foreseeable future. We are well aware that developers are starting games with it, and that there are console games being made.

From the GMS2 FAQ
Are you stopping support for Studio 1.X?

Support for GameMaker: Studio 1.4 will continue for the moment, and it will receive maintenance to ensure you can still make and submit games for the various export platforms. However it will not be receiving new functionality or minor bug fixes and we have stopped taking user feedback suggestions.
The developers and the Studio 2 FAQ have stated numerous times that 1.4 will continue to be supported for some time. Anybody who isn't aware and posting about it, has been negligent in their research.

And your boat analogy is silly and wrong.

Software as complex as Studio will never have all the bugs removed, especially when they address a moving target such as Android, iOS and Browser where updates to those external items creates bugs in Studio. If YYGs waited for all the bugs to be fixed in 1.x before moving to 2.0 we would never move to 2.0.

YYGs have people devoted to 2.0 development and support and they have people devoted to 1.4 support.

They are doing moving along as the industry standard suggests they should.

ZeDuval