• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GMS Update Kills my Frame Rate

G

Greg5000

So I have recently bought a new laptop and transferred all of my programmes and files onto this including a fresh install of Game Maker Studio including the latest updates. This weekend I started up Game Maker Studio and opened my project, eager to see how the extra computing power in my new machine would increase the frame rates only to be horrified that the frame rate (according to the debug overlay bar) now seems to be capped at 60FPS (it rapidly changes between high 50's and 60 but never exceeds 60).

Now before I started using my new computer I was achieving a solid 100-300 FPS on my old machine, this was a laptop with an i5 processor, 8Gb RAM and a GTX940m graphics card. My new computer has an i7 processor, 16Gb RAM and a GTX960m graphics card, so it is better in every way (and both have SSD's).

The only difference I can think of is in the Game Maker Studio software itself.. a while ago I let GMS run a software update which seemed to mysteriously kill my frame rate in the same way this has.. as such I reversed the software update at the time, however with a new computer and a fresh install of the latest version of GMS the problem seemed to have reared its head again.

To test if the problem was with my new computer I created an executable of my game on my old laptop which I then ran on my old laptop.. I got an frame rate between 200-300. I then tested this same executable on my new laptop, and got a frame rate of 400-600, so the issue doesn't seem to be with the laptop.

One thing I have noticed is that the speed of the game when I test it on my new laptop with the latest version of studio doesn't seem to be affected, as I said the frame rate seems to be consistently 60 with some rapid dips to high 50's, so this makes me wonder.. is the latest version of studio simply capping the frame rate at 60 (which is my room speed)?

My laptop has monitor refresh rate of 50hz. When synchronization is enabled, my game's max fps is 50 lol. Even though room speed is 60. I think I chsnged a setting in Windows to fix it but I forget. Or maybe I just disabled synchronization. It's been since August and I mostly use external monitors right now. Hope that helps

G

Greg5000

Thanks for the replies, I rolled back to version 1.4.1757, FPS is back to a nice and healthy level now.. I don't know what's happened with 1.4.1760 and subsequent updates to make it behave this way with my game!

P.S. I was already using a sleep margin of 15ms, I tested 10 but for my game/system 15 yields the best results.