• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code GM's Text/Code Editor is Very Slow

W

Wigfrid

I notice that GM's code editor is very slow when I set my laptop to power saving mode, why is this? Any other code editor out there doesn't have this behavior.

e.g when I type something, it doesn't come out instantly like when you would type on a notepad or notepad++ or really any other code editor, and worse, doesn't always register. Those other code editors that set the 'standard' seems to not have a text processing overhead thus register any presses instantly, regardless of whichever power saving modes I put my laptop in.

This seems like an unacceptable flaw if this is confirmed, too bad the price of all the export modules don't match with the basic functionality of this software. I tried this (https://yellowafterlife.itch.io/gmedit) by YellowAfterLife and it's actually a lot better, every key press registers instantly. Too bad you have to break other workflow system when going after an external editor like that.

On balanced/normal mode (power saving off), everything works perfectly, though not to a level of those other standard code editors, but okay enough to make me not think about it.

Unfortunately for me, I will always need to use the power saving mode as my laptop only lasts less than 2 hours on battery.

I'm running an Intel 4720HQ, GTX 950M, 8GB, and 120GB SSD if that helps.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
I notice that GM's code editor is very slow when I set my laptop to power saving mode, why is this? Any other code editor out there doesn't have this behavior.
You can configure editor framerate multiplier in Preferences.
upload_2019-5-22_16-38-45.png
However, there will always be some amount of latency due to IDE UI being drawn on GPU - a price to pay for ability to zoom in/out and such.

GMEdit generally fares better (although isn't perfect either), not the least thanks to years of work and research by teams behind Chromium and Ace (the high-performance code editor component that tool uses).
Too bad you have to break other workflow system when going after an external editor like that.
A macro to run the game when pressing F5 or "builder" plugin (which allows to not have to switch to GMS2 unless you need to add new sprites/etc.) may come in handy.

W

Wigfrid

You can configure editor framerate multiplier in Preferences.
View attachment 24844
However, there will always be some amount of latency due to IDE UI being drawn on GPU - a price to pay for ability to zoom in/out and such.

GMEdit generally fares better (although isn't perfect either), not the least thanks to years of work and research by teams behind Chromium and Ace (the high-performance code editor component that tool uses).

A macro to run the game when pressing F5 or "builder" plugin (which allows to not have to switch to GMS2 unless you need to add new sprites/etc.) may come in handy.
Wow you actually replied here!:D

I installed the "builder" plugin exactly like the instructions suggest, but the "Run" button doesn't appear on my GMEdit.. It's as if GMEdit doesn't recognize that the plugin has been installed. What am I doing wrong? (I don't know where to ask this)

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Wow you actually replied here!:D

I installed the "builder" plugin exactly like the instructions suggest, but the "Run" button doesn't appear on my GMEdit.. It's as if GMEdit doesn't recognize that the plugin has been installed. What am I doing wrong? (I don't know where to ask this)
Make sure that you extracted it into the plugins folder (path should be like "plugins\builder\main.js", without subfolders) and that you are running the most recent version of GMEdit.

L

Lonewolff

@YellowAfterlife are you saying that we can build from the command line now? Are there any docs regarding this or is this just insider information from your stint with YYG? This is something people have been asking for for half a decade.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
L

Lonewolff

So there's no official word on command line building then?

L

Lonewolff

No worries. I'll take a look. I'm more interested in the cmd line parameters at this stage.

Thanks for that :)

W

Wigfrid

Make sure that you extracted it into the plugins folder (path should be like "plugins\builder\main.js", without subfolders) and that you are running the most recent version of GMEdit.
Gotcha! The instruction only said to put the downloaded files inside the 'plugins' folder, I didn't know I had to create a new folder called 'builder'. Thanks a lot!! Thanks for this awesome code editor, this and the GMLive of yours are stupidly useful. Honestly YYG should be paying you lol!!

My mind is blown, I can't express how good GMEdit is. Being lightweight and blazingly fast is one thing, but added together with features that are genuinely helpful is another thing!!! Runs well on sh*tty netbooks from 2005 I bet.

With this you don't have to spend ridiculous money for a high end ultra-portable. Just rock on a $200 walmart laptop and you'll be good to go. You don't need a fast compile time when working together with GMLive too. GMEdit + GMLive + $200 laptop combo!

Once again, thank you. @YellowAfterlife . You have no idea. People like you are what makes GM great. If not, I'd have already moved to Unity or Godot long time ago since GM without its community just isn't cutting it.