GMS is the same that C?

N

Nico Heuser

Hello world, I want to know if I can learn C with Game Maker, but the language thwy use is Gms.....It is basicly the same?

Cameron

No, it's not basically the same, they are two different languages. That being said, if you master control flow and basic programming logic in one, you will find the transition to be less difficult, but you can say that for any programming language, not just C.

It's not just about mastering the language though, GameMakerStudio is also a game engine and an IDE. So even if you master the language GML you still have other aspects to learn beyond programming.

Edit: In general both are easier to learn than some of the other more complex languages out there. C++, for example, is a behemoth of a language, with a lot to learn, because it's basically all in one.

Last edited:

BB Scary

I think, for learning C, C+, C# etc. is better unity 3D, visual studio, or arduino with use youtube or help in IDE.

A

altarar

Hello world, I want to know if I can learn C with Game Maker, but the language thwy use is Gms.....It is basicly the same?
GML as many other languages is based on the C programming language but there is a huge difference! C uses pointers which GML doesn't allow you to do and it's one of the core principles of the language. Also programming in Game Maker is to some extend object oriented (note that I said Game Maker, not GML) because GML itself isn't object oriented as you would expect if you have worked with languages like Java or C++. And C is a low level language used to create operating systems and things like this. GML is becoming more and more like JavaScript.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I would consider GML to be an API more than a language, similar to SDL, but while not as powerful with the options given, GML covers a wider selection of options. For instance, SDL is more low level, while GML covers things SDL doesn't, such as, (but not limited to), physics and dialogs. SDL is written in C, but GameMaker is written in C++, Java, and Objective C++ depending on the platform. GameMaker's language syntax is very loose compared to C and C++, and should be a more fair comparison to Javascript in that regard.