• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker GMS IDE doing this funky highlight thing (Very Spooky .gifs inside)

RujiK

Sometimes when I highlight a variable, MORE variables with the same name get highlighted! Like this:

Wow! Why? Does this have a purpose? Google can't tell me.

I think this is proof that the FBI is trying to steal my variables but I need a second opinion.

RujiK

That's it? That's kinda lame. I was expecting some kind of hidden functionality like a "Quick-change" shortcut where you could rename all of the variables at once or something.

Oh well, thanks for your help.

Cpaz

That's it? That's kinda lame. I was expecting some kind of hidden functionality like a "Quick-change" shortcut where you could rename all of the variables at once or something.

Oh well, thanks for your help.
That is a thing in other IDEs. But I'm not sure about GMS. I believe the closest we have is the global search/replace tabs. Unless I've completely missed something. But the manual doesn't have anything like that listed in the shortcuts so I'd assume no.

S

Sybok

You can edit multiple lines at once by holding Alt and LMB and selecting down (or up) a column of text, then doing the edit and it will affect all lines.

Wow! Never seen that before!

NightFrost

You can also paint a multiline selection with Alt + LMB, if you happen to need to copy or delete a squarish area (like a number of comments after code, where comments on all lines have been indented to same alignment). And, Tab will move multiple lines when selected like this (painted over or just initial position as on the gif above).