• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM GMS EA Version 1.99.493

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
http://store.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio-ea/GMStudio-Installer-1.99.493.exe

Release notes

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update 1.99.493 of GameMaker: Studio. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using http://www.yoyogames.com/support/bug if you do not have direct Mantis access.

You should post here if:
  • You think you have found a bug and have exhausted all other possibilities (ie: code error, incorrect setup, etc...)
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "traceIDE.log" file found in the roaming appdata folder for GMS
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a GMZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If the issue is with the installer or updater, please ensure you attach your %localappdata%\[Studio or Studio Early Access]\trace.log along with any trace .zip files in that folder.
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them.
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Note that each new version released the old topic will be locked and a new topic will be made, so that all issues reported can be tracked correctly on a per-version basis. If you think your issue has not been fixed in the subsequent update, then please add a comment in the thread and ensure you file a bug report. (Please don’t continue doing this for every future release until your bug is fixed - just file the report and then you can leave off mentioning it in the thread).

Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

R

Roger Robertson

What version of the Google Mobile Ads SDK does EA use? Also has anyone successfully implemented it in EA?
Thanks for any enlightenment you can give.
-RR

C

Christian

Hello, I would like to share with you guys that when exporting to Android via the Android/Fire module, I'm getting a compile error.about
'subst' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

This only appeared after updating and I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this.

Attachments

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
subst is a standard Windows cmd command are you using some sort of custom shell at all?

Russell

Fern

An issue I've yet to see touched on is that the executable often doesn't show on the taskbar aside from when testing within the GMS IDE. This has been a problem I've seen from Windows 7, 8, and 10 (my own experience). Any ETA on the fix? I would report it as a bug but I've seen a few other people mention it before.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Seabass - is there a bug filed against this? as this is not something that I can see running here (there was a bug filed previously about this but we have not seen it replicated).

Are you using any sort of Windows Blinds or other styling software? or is it just plain vanilla Windows? Are you using YYC or non-YYC? Are you starting in full screen and coming back out of full screen?

Russell

I am experiencing a complete failure of the UWP module in the early access version, i have tried to follow the currently existing tutorials to the letter and cannot get even a room with only one object to be able to open and play (it crashes on startup)

both the yyc and non yyc are effected by this problem, the interesting thing is that i have the stable version (1.4) on the machine as well and when trying to load it i dont encounter this problem (although the yyc version is not functional)

that said the yyc module in early access seems to not be having a linking error like previously, but still i cant be able to do anything on uwp at the moment and i really want to comple a working yyc uwp game and put it in the windows store.

if someone could help me understand whats going on or point me towards a possible fix please let me know, same let me know if you have any questions for me.

thank you very much for your time.

Fern

@Seabass - is there a bug filed against this? as this is not something that I can see running here (there was a bug filed previously about this but we have not seen it replicated).

Are you using any sort of Windows Blinds or other styling software? or is it just plain vanilla Windows? Are you using YYC or non-YYC? Are you starting in full screen and coming back out of full screen?

Russell
Vanilla windows 10. Non-YYC. Starting in windowed mode.

You'll notice it comes up afterwards but occasionally it doesn't show up at all.

C

Christian

subst is a standard Windows cmd command are you using some sort of custom shell at all?

Russell
Sorry, I forgot that was a Windows command. I fixed my path variable and it worked fine. It's just strange that it happened around the same time as the release. So the release seems to be fine on my end. Thanks

U

user240485

Is it me or did they remove the shortcut keys to compile and debug compile. It used to be f5 and f6 correct? Its been a few weeks since i opened up GM, did the update take it out for some reason. I quickly went through the release notes and couldn't find mention of the shortcut keys being removed. Using the mouse and navigating the menus and under RUN the drop down are present but its messing the shortcut keys. Im using the early access version

Edit: Yup checked my steam version (stable release) and sure enough f5 works like its supposed to, It even appears in the dropdown menu of the RUN menu item. Its not the big of a change I just wished they didn't take it out. I'm the type that checks every change in code that I make and its a small thing but would rather not have to mouse click it.

Edit: Well I'm not entirely sure what happened but its back. I don't know it was something that needed to be installed behind the scenes and needed to completely close GM for it to take effect. I had just opened it up and let it do its update download and everything, then went straight into the program. So im assuming it didn't completely shut itself down and restart like it wanted to. Everything seemed to work fine and compiled and ran like it was supposed to. Not really sure why i got this error. Either way its fine now. A small bug maybe? Still posting what happened maybe it might help someone, somehow.

K

kurtwaldo

It seems that we still can not make Facebook graph requests without crashing the game on iOS; when can we expect a fix for this?! I have a client on hold for a long time now due to this issue. Quite frustrating!!!
http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=20458

Would love to hear an update on this so I can at least not leave my client hanging as it has been 5 Months now since this bug was submitted!

I think its time to get someone on the Facebook extension! I mean, it's in GM documentation and is currently broken. The above fix is needed ASAP at a minimum, but here are a few other suggestions.

1. Update the API: http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=22060 and http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=20811
    • The API being used is about to be deprecated, and is super ancient! Can we get the extension upgraded to the latest Facebook API?
    • At the very lease, can we have instructions on how to do this?
  2. Use Social Async Event: http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=13078
    • Rework the Facebook extension to use the Social Async event instead of needing to poll for data to see if the results are returned!
Thanks, looking forward to hearing back.
-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
H

henry

Hey,

Android platform.
Stable 1.4.1749 builds executable apk ok.
I tried to build apk of the same project with this EA version and it it cant - "build failed"

fixed by myself
The issue was:

issue id="MissingPermission" severity="Error" message="Missing permissions required by BluetoothDevice.getName: android.permission.BLUETOOTH"category="Correctness" priority="9" summary="Missing Permissions" explanation="This check scans through your code and libraries and looks at the APIs being used, and checks this against the set of permissions required to access those APIs.

-- seems like this EA version needs the bluetooth permission checkbox is on, although i dont use bluetooth in the project.

HAEGOE

ok..This is exactly why I didn't like the new version. and ea didn't help much.
Could you tell me how to fix this?

:com.Haegoe.FireworkScience:transformClassesWithJarMergingForRelease FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':com.Haegoe.FireworkScience:transformClassesWithJarMergingForRelease'.
> com.android.build.api.transform.TransformException: java.util.zip.ZipException: duplicate entry: com/google/android/gms/dynamic/LifecycleDelegate.class

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 1 mins 59.9 secs
cmd /c "subst /d Z:"

jazzzar

that's for me trying to compile for android
FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':library:compileReleaseJavaWithJavac'.
> Compilation failed; see the compiler error output for details.

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

EDIT : so i see it's something gradle related so i tried to copy the content of the Android folder inside the stable game maker into the early access one, and it compiled and worked, but the game crashes after splash screen, so i reverted back the changes and i'll be waiting for help :)

Last edited:
W

Wraithious

Execution failed for task ':library:compileReleaseJavaWithJavac'.
hmm the only thing I can think of is make sure in your global game preferences> android/fire> general tab> that target sdk is set to 23, min sdk set to 13, and compile sdk set to 23

jazzzar

hmm the only thing I can think of is make sure in your global game preferences> android/fire> general tab> that target sdk is set to 23, min sdk set to 13, and compile sdk set to 23
Min 13? Why not 9?
EDIT: btw it's something gradle related

W

Wraithious

Min 13? Why not 9?
EDIT: btw it's something gradle related
Altho Using 9 can add more devices to the visibility and downloadability on google play, but if you use extensions at all some of the features may not work for the user and you can even get compile errors because of it, i was reading that on another help forum and they mentioned that and that you have to have bluetooth enabled also, they were rigt abou bluetooth, im not sure that changing the min sdk to 9 actually helped but I've made it a habit to set it to 13, it dosent make too much of a difference in the % of devices that are disincluded from seeing and downloading your app, 13 goes way back to galaxy III phones.

W

Wraithious

Im wondering, has anyone here tried making a native android extension on early access? I have been trying for aar least a week, and can't get even a simple one to work, just curious before i file a bug report, if anyone HAS done it please tell me and I won't file it, theres still a very slim chance that im doing something wrong

SOLVED this is NOT a bug, I overlooked a very simple return statement in my java file that was missing

R

renex

The bluetooth bug has been fixed internally. Will be on a future update.

As for the sdk versioning, I really have no clue what fixed things for me. It was a day long session of trial and error.

J

JDBar

network_send_udp() has a memory leak in the stable version, as well as the EA version. (I have filed a bug regarding the stable version.)

Link to GMZ file.

obj_test Create Event
Code:
/// Create Server and Write to Buffer
server = network_create_server(network_socket_udp, 58008, 32);
buffer = buffer_create(1, buffer_fixed, 1);
buffer_seek(buffer, buffer_seek_start, 0);
buffer_write(buffer, buffer_bool, true);
obj_test Step Event
Code:
/// Send buffer every step.
// Repeat makes memory leak show on graph faster at room speed of 200.
repeat(10)
network_send_udp(server, "127.0.0.1", 58008, buffer, 1);

J

jackhigh24

Im wondering, has anyone here tried making a native android extension on early access? I have been trying for aar least a week, and can't get even a simple one to work, just curious before i file a bug report, if anyone HAS done it please tell me and I won't file it, theres still a very slim chance that im doing something wrong
yes iv made a few, so you have something wrong, you should make a new thread of your own and pop all your details on including your operating system, someone should be able to help, dont forget any lint reports to if you are getting them and a good chuck of your compile log.

W

Wraithious

yes iv made a few, so you have something wrong, you should make a new thread of your own and pop all your details on including your operating system, someone should be able to help, dont forget any lint reports to if you are getting them and a good chuck of your compile log.
Thanks I was just about to update my post, it is NOT a bug, I had simply not put a return statement in my java file, it was a dumb mistake that I overlooked for like 60 hours of trying other things hahaha thanks for the info

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Given how many extension-related complaints I've seen all over the board, I'd like to know what's being done about it. What use is the libpng fix if advertisement, analytics and IAP extensions fail to compile due to bad injections or lint issues?

Also, has anyone looked into the "libpng warning: iCCP: Not recognizing known sRGB profile that has been edited" message? It has been showing up on every build I've seen with graphics so far.

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
network_send_udp() has a memory leak in the stable version, as well as the EA version. (I have filed a bug regarding the stable version.)

Link to GMZ file.

obj_test Create Event
Code:
/// Create Server and Write to Buffer
server = network_create_server(network_socket_udp, 58008, 32);
buffer = buffer_create(1, buffer_fixed, 1);
buffer_seek(buffer, buffer_seek_start, 0);
buffer_write(buffer, buffer_bool, true);
obj_test Step Event
Code:
/// Send buffer every step.
// Repeat makes memory leak show on graph faster at room speed of 200.
repeat(10)
network_send_udp(server, "127.0.0.1", 58008, buffer, 1);
In the meantime you can use its *_raw equivalent because that one works as intended (Provided you alter the rest of your code as well).

W

Wraithious

Also, has anyone looked into the "libpng warning: iCCP: Not recognizing known sRGB profile that has been edited" message? It has been showing up on every build I've seen with graphics so far.
I too have noticed this, it in my case allways references an icon.png file, which in android native is usually the default icon set for android phones that picture the little green robot, gamemaker has their own default icons which are different so i wonder if it's looking for those?

J

jackhigh24

its just a problem with how there defined from what i know, such as there shape, silhouette, dpi and such, its fixed internally so will be out when there ready in an update near you :)

J

JDBar

In the meantime you can use its *_raw equivalent because that one works as intended (Provided you alter the rest of your code as well).
I just checked, and I still seem to see the same memory increase with the network_send_udp_raw commands as well.

T

T-bond

Finally. From 2015 Nov. 15 we couldn't update the game on GP, because we couldn't compile it. It had a lot of GMS bugs, or the legacy extensions were broken like Facebook, Google Play Services. The GPS is still outdated, but I make a new version for myself, so now everything is working fine.
We could patch know, but the surfaces seem to be broken. And yes. We have the libong warning. So on Sept 17 the app will be removed from the store if we don't update it.
But we can't again because the half of the surfaces go black. Managed a fix until Yoyogames fix it, (workaround with os pause) but this doesn't work with the status bar. And sometimes the game is black for secs because of this bug.
It has been reported in 2014. We are writing 2016 today, I think.
http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=15485
I have reported a lot of bugs, with the most precise description I could give, and this whole tester-developer thing worked somehow, if not with the most perfect way with Yoyogames back in time. BUT. There is 3 channel for GMS. Stable, Beta, EA. You would think, the EA get a fix at least once a month. There is a lots of bug, everything get outdated, because everything gets updated. And Yoyogames is far behind everything.
We didn't get any updates for 3 months. And I'm not talking about the Stable chanel. I talking about the EA. We got one a half month ago. Hurray. And that's it. And check the bug tracker they have. How many things get solved in a month. I would say 10 at most. I know how hard to develop a software. I developed a lot of project on the Web, native on Android, iOS, cross platform with c++, and some of were a team project. So I know how things work. But this is not the way.
The normal way, if a company needs testers, they hire them. Okay, we had to pay, because we can publish our software and get money from it. Also we report bugs and they can improve it to get more costumer. But this is not the case. The only part which is missing the improvement of GMS. I know I didn't pay for a service, but I had purchased a very OVERPRICED software. (It just get this tag, from me because of the updating conditions) and yes, it is not an affordable price for a Hungarian student, but anyway, who cares.
And if you report a bug, what happens? You have to wait around a month to get an answer. In the most cases there is no solution. They ask something, give you an irrelevant solution, which doesn't work. Or in very rear cases you get an issue submitted to the issue tracker. Sometimes you can't follow because it is private.
You don't get any update. About your bug status, or the software, or the legacy extensions. (They were separated from the IDE, which is a good solution the be easily updateble but they don'the update it. (The GPS extension used a 7.x version of the Admob, I updated it to 9.4))

I have told the same thing them in the support e-mail. The answer I got which bug hasn't been updated for a month?
From the whole e-mail they could only get this part.

So I don'the understand what is the purpose of submitting bugs? Losing our time?

I would like to know, when we get a new update? In 3 month again?
So I don'the have to check the bug tracker, and the release notes page day-by-day. (I also asked for an rss feed to the release notes pages, they sent it to some Web developer, and that's all. Again, any info about it for months. Nor issue.)
They didn't try to solve this situation in any way.

If I had a chance NOW to decide to buy this software, I wouldn't. And I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I did a while ago.

So that is my point. I'm interested in the others, what they think. Maybe now I get a REAL answer from the staff to.

Sorry for my English, as I mentioned, I'm hungarian. :)

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
I just checked, and I still seem to see the same memory increase with the network_send_udp_raw commands as well.
Maybe there's something wrong with your setup. I've just tested a small program with my own UDP networking code and the memory used only goes up about 3KB once the initial UDP packet is sent, but doesn't rise further even after thousands of UDP packets successfully sent (and received on the other side). Check to see if you're not creating new objects or data structures somewhere else...

J

jackhigh24

@T-bond i think the way your english is then that might be why any tickets or even mantis stuff maybe not get a fix so fast, it really does depend on what it is and how you format it for them, there is a guide on how to format tickets and mantis, i would have a read of it and try and stick to just the details, also i know you don't see updates like all the time for EA as you mentioned, but if you look at the release numbers you would see that there have been lots of updates very often, but they stayed internal due to other bugs getting spotted before they released said version, so sometimes i can seem there not doing much but they are, i popped a mantis on yesterday and as it was very well formatted and gave the solution, it was answered in one day and market as solved and will come in the beta or stable, iv also put two others on that are very hard to describe and i have no solution for them they are still waiting for someone to try and figure out what i talking about, but there very unusual bugs so im not surprised its not got a fix yet and could even be due to my setup, so all in all there doing good in my opinion.

W

Wraithious

does anyone else havea problem with the manual not opening? it's a 50/50 chance for me that the manual will open or not when you press the ? button in the file bar, and once it doesn't show up the only way to get it to show is to restart my computer
Oh, and clicking Help>open manual doesnt make any difference either.

J

jackhigh24

@Wraithious yes it's a bug, what yo should do from now on is when you first start game maker open the manual before running or doing anything else, its been resolved in a mantis report, so should be in what ever version is next to come out.

J

jackhigh24

lol no worries, if you have ccleaner on your computer you can use that to clear you internet caches namely firefox cache, ccleaner will crash, then you open and clean again and this time it will clean without crashing, then so long as you go and open the manual before doing anything else again it should be fine again, if not close game maker and repeat the ccleaner then open game maker and then manual and all will be fine, lucky its fixed now, so should be out for us all soon.

S

ScemEnzo

Ok, just posting problems I'm having with the transition. I'm trying to fix this, I'll update about the situation.

The Game:
  • does not uses any dll, extension or API from other external services.
  • It's all coded inside the GML scope and does not even uses shaders.
  • Was perfectly and smoothly running before the update, since I've optimized the code lots of time to make it super stable and efficient
The problems:
  • Audio is completely off. Neither .ogg or .wav file are being streamed.
  • Full screen makes the video output completely black, while turning it off shows the game perfectly. I'm working in a pixel perfect video rendering, without interpolation, shaders and Anti-Aliasing. The application surface is active.
I've turned off the EA participation, but now I'm having the exact same problem with 1.4 reverted.