• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMS Coding

I

IceExplosive

Hello,
I wanted to ask about your experience/practices about coding in GM:S IDE.
First of all correct me, if I've missed it, but GM:S doesn't have any feature to for example find all places, where certain script is used, right?

I'm creating pretty complex project and run into a problem, that (especially since I have long gaps between development) from time to time I want to create an abstraction for some code I didn't plan, change some constancies or need to change object hierarchy/handlers etc... and not remembering where I used it I simple have to run and test the game plenty of times looking for crashes of calling non-existent/outdated script, creating wrong/old objects and so on.

Does GM:S offer some kind of check I've missed? I've tried to for example keep a list of objects that calls it in a comment at the beginning of each script but it's a bother and still sometimes forgetting to update it.
How do you deal with such problems... or do you care about such thinks at all?
Isn't there any kind of a global search tool?
Any tips for managing code?
Hope you know what I mean as I don't want create a too long post for explanation. :)

I know it's not a brick wall, but still it would greatly ease development and looking for any tips and discussion.