• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows GMS 2: to upgrade or not to upgrade

G

Greg5000

Okay so I'm currently working on a project I have developing for over a year with GMS Professional and have recently invested in a new laptop - so I'm wondering if it's worth investing in the new software to go with it..

I've been scouring the internet for reviews of Studio 2 but don't seem to have found anything yet so am just wondering if anyone out there has any views they could share on the new software?

Is the interface vastly changed?

I use GML code and virtually no drag and drop actions, is the coding interface much different?

Have any changes been made in Studio 2 which have improved optimisation? I've recently installed the latest software update for Studio Professional and have actually noticed some unexplained drops in my frame rate (another topic I've written about in a different forum on here) and am worried this could be an issue if I upgrade to GMS2?

If I upgrade to GMS2 can I easily return to GMS Professional? Upgrading my license to GMS2 won't remove my license for GMS Professional will it?

I'd really like to give it a go but want to make sure it will be worth my time (and money).. my project is coming on well and I don't want to take any risks with it but am wondering whether GMS2 might be the way to go from here?

P

psyke

Is the interface vastly changed?
It's completely different.

I use GML code and virtually no drag and drop actions, is the coding interface much different?
You can choose between a GML or D&D project. A GML project will hide all the D&D functionality, which is very good for programmers.

Have any changes been made in Studio 2 which have improved optimisation?
Yes. Tiles had some significant changes, also the layering system seems to have a positive impact on the performance as well.

If I upgrade to GMS2 can I easily return to GMS Professional?
You will NOT lose your GMS 1 license, and you can use both of them at the same time if you want.
If you port your project to GMS 2 and want to go back to GMS 1, you will not be able to use that same project since the files are different, so always make a backup.

but am wondering whether GMS2 might be the way to go from here?
That depends, what is the progress of your project?
I ported my project from GMS 1.4 to GMS 2 without any problems (just had to rewrite some stuff), but the process was very easy.

I must say that I'm really liking GMS 2, the workflow is just too good, the only problem right now is the IDE performance when using it for hours, but it's OK since it's in Beta stage.

Useful links:
http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231539867-GameMaker-Studio-2-New-Functions-List
http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719468-Porting-A-GMS-1-4-Game-To-GameMaker-Studio-2
http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/categories/204246668-GameMaker-Studio-2

G

Greg5000

Useful advice, thank you. I've checked out some of the links.. The only thing which puts me off upgrading is that my current project has a large map with LOADS of tiles so I think I'd have to re-create large parts of it rather than just import, especially if I want to benefit from the tile optimisation in Studio 2.