• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker GMS 2 to GM : S V. 1.4

M

Mombos

i saw a Tutorial that allows me to make a dialogue system .

Unfortunately the tutorial is for GMS 2 but i don't plan to use it any sooner .

can anyone tell me the different in code in this tutorial so i can use it for gm : s 14

the tutorial's link :

Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hl5Gtt5Mj9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't written any dialogue system at all, so I can't recommend any specific tutorials for 1.4. That said, I have seen tons of them, I'd recommend tracking one down for 1.4 - no one will want to go through that entire video and convert it for you.

Perhaps the better question you should ask is "Can anyone recommend a good dialogue system tutorial for 1.4?"

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I didn't watch the entire video. But the differences aren't that great. And a few times, the author specifically mentions when they occur. For example, using instance_create_depth() instead of setting the depth variable separately. And using the new camera functions to control the view.

If you are reasonably familiar with Studio 1.4, you should be able to make the necessary changes. And if you get stuck, you can always come back here for help with specific code issues.

A

anomalous

GMS2 for something like dialogue I doubt is very different than 1.4. If you find it difficult, I think you should start with something a lot more simple and learn GML, then re-visit it, because it's very low on the complexity scale (the differences...an actual dialogue system is moderately complex).