• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows GMS 2 taking 60+seconds to start

G

gadgetkk

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone else had an issue where GM takes 60+ seconds to start up? When I launch it i get a white screen for a long time and then finally get the home page. Sometimes when I then click on the Open icon on the home page it will lock up.

I have had it freeze and crash on me quite a bit as well. So i uninstalled it and reinstalled it and there is no change. To give you and idea of how long it takes, i can load up world of warcraft from clicking the icon to playing a character faster.

Any help that can be lent is appreciated.

slojanko

Happened all day today. Unplugging the internet then starting GMS2 fixes it for that launch. Something on YYG's side probably.

G

gadgetkk

Ok good, glad it's not just me.

So it is some sort of verification lag?

R

rnisson

Same here, glad to see it's not just me. It started yesterday

Wooooooow.

This started happening after my game crashed my pc and I couldn't even open task manager so I had to restart it. I could've sworn it started because of that. What amazing timing. Glad it's not my pc though!

Sorry guys, I broke everyone's IDE.

Same here, started yesterday. Only the title bar shows up and it looks like it's completely locked up. But if it's happening to you just wait it out for a few minutes and it should eventually get going as normal, takes a good couple minutes for me but the actual program doesn't run any slower or anything and I haven't had it crash on me (though I always load my projects through the recently opened sidebar rather than the Open icon)

G

gadgetkk

Ok this is getting a bit excessive. It's crashing every few minutes.

Anyone know what is going on?

L

Lonewolff

I had this just now too. Had to 'end task' GMS. It finally launched a couple of attempts later.

MudbuG

The IDE does not crash for me, but does takes a very long time to start up, while just showing a blank white window. Once it starts up I can use it.

samspade

Also happening for me starting today. Generally it does start up. And it hasn't crashed once a project is loaded, but any number of things can cause it to freeze and crash seemingly at random from the launch page. Loading a project. Importing. Marketplace. Etc. all done it.

G

greenystone

I suppose problem is the network. When starting Gamemaker I see blank window too - for about 1.5 minutes. UILOG shows that Gamemaker is waiting for something too long:

[09:36:05:906(b066)] Checking network....
[09:
37:32:316(b066)] Checking network....Done

I have run tracert in Windows 7 command line (firewall and antivirus off):

tracert gms.yoyogames.com

and there are at least 2 trace route points/servers, where connection got 3 timeouts and finally arrive to yoyogames, just after about 1.5 minute. I have checked this 4 times, everytime with the same result. Can somebody try and check tracert too?

[edit: typo]

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gadgetkk

So has anyone heard from yoyo on this issue? It continues to annoy. There are other weird things that started happening when this started (like not always being able to switch projects without restarting GM).

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We are at a bit of a loss as to what is happening here... as we have not changed anything at our end, we have been investigating though... we suspect that something has changed on the interwebs to slow down.

We have changed the code for the next release though so we are hoping this will improve the situation.

Russell

Mool

Same here. (1min white screen)

For me it happends since im interrupted GMS2 during loading.

H

HW.

Sometimes GMS 2 has 100% CPU running by not doing something heavy, not compiling or building, randomly like that. Sometimes freezing when i want to import sprites, the windows dialog window (browse explorer doesn't appear), and should be ctrl alt del and end task on task manager. Restart again IDE until it can. It doesn't give smooth experience on my end for latest versions. Loading also can be longer, and i already try to compare if it is about offline or online, but both case is the same. Random freezing or longer time to load.

L

Lonewolff

@rwkay - yeah, it's an odd one. Since I mentioned this was happening to me also, I haven't experienced any issues since.

MudbuG

marketplace.yoyogames.com also takes quite a while to load completely for me. Could this be related?

G

greenystone

I got first crash during start yesterday, till then it was delays only... my temp. solution is to turn off network when GMS2 is starting = it starts without issues.

F

FormalCloud

This hangup is causing full crashes now and I can't access GMS2 anymore, I really hope this update is coming soon. Like.. tomorrow soon. If not I hope you can get a hotfix out for it as a super fast priority rather than wait until the main update.

S

Skaz

Same thing here, for the last week or so, long, looooong statup time for GMS2.

Jobo

GMC Elder
Hi guys. I don't have news about any update containing the fix just now but I do have a workaround for you.

The issue occurs when GMS2 checks your internet connection, so you can set up a Windows Firewall rule to block GMS2.
This will eliminate the white screen stall but you will be forcing GMS2 into offline mode.

See this guide for setting up firewall rules: https://www.howtogeek.com/227093/ho...accessing-the-internet-with-windows-firewall/
TLDR; open windows firewall advanced settings and create an outgoing rule on %ProgramFiles%\GameMaker Studio 2\GameMakerStudio.exe and set it to block all access.
This ALSO means you will NOT be notified of any updates automatically while this rule is active!!

Hope that helps...

F

FormalCloud

Hi guys. I don't have news about any update containing the fix just now but I do have a workaround for you.

The issue occurs when GMS2 checks your internet connection, so you can set up a Windows Firewall rule to block GMS2.
This will eliminate the white screen stall but you will be forcing GMS2 into offline mode.

See this guide for setting up firewall rules: https://www.howtogeek.com/227093/ho...accessing-the-internet-with-windows-firewall/
TLDR; open windows firewall advanced settings and create an outgoing rule on %ProgramFiles%\GameMaker Studio 2\GameMakerStudio.exe and set it to block all access.
This ALSO means you will NOT be notified of any updates automatically while this rule is active!!

Hope that helps...
Thanks @Jobo - quick question: Will blocking GMS2 via Windows Firewall do any of the following:

1) Inhibit pushing iOS builds across networks to macOS?

F

FormalCloud

That work-around works great, thank you!

F

FormalCloud

I have been disabling my WiFi connection before I start the program. You can enable it after GM starts.
This definitely the best solution (until fixed) for those who can unplug their internet without running into a myriad of issues from other 'always on' services they may be using.

The firewall method Jobo suggested is also ideal for those who need to keep other things running but just need GMS2 to kind of ignore their internet for a bit. ;)

rIKmAN

This definitely the best solution (until fixed) for those who can unplug their internet without running into a myriad of issues from other 'always on' services they may be using.

The firewall method Jobo suggested is also ideal for those who need to keep other things running but just need GMS2 to kind of ignore their internet for a bit. ;)
Though not ideal - in the meantime this Firewall Context Menu tweak may help people.
You can just right click an exe and choose to Allow/Block and it's done - no need to be rooting through the firewall rules.

Bentley

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone else had an issue where GM takes 60+ seconds to start up? When I launch it i get a white screen for a long time and then finally get the home page. Sometimes when I then click on the Open icon on the home page it will lock up.

I have had it freeze and crash on me quite a bit as well. So i uninstalled it and reinstalled it and there is no change. To give you and idea of how long it takes, i can load up world of warcraft from clicking the icon to playing a character faster.

same

M

Mystery_Wolf

Hi Everyone,

Same here.
Blocking it via firewall seems to do the trick to make it launch properly, so it's most definitely something on their servers.
I get they want an "Always online" thing to prevent piracy (most likely), but if their servers are having this many problems, they need another solution.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
It has been fixed internally and we have an update coming in the very near future that should fix it for everyone.

It has nothing to do with being Always online and everything to do with checking online connectivity as part of working correctly offline (unfortunately the check was incorrect and caused more problems than it solved).

Russell

M

MonkeyMaw

Thanks for the info Russel, same problem has been driving me nuts for a while now! I just thought it was my internet, which isn't that good to be all honest :p