Opinion GMS 2 seems more complicated than GMS 1...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by K12gamer, Dec 27, 2017.

1. K12gamer

K12gamer Member

I have GM 8, GMS 1 and GMS 2...
    I'm not very skilled at programming (I mainly use DnD)...but I have managed to make
    over 10 games over the past 5+ years.

I enjoy using GM 8 and GMS 1...but GMS 2 seems beyond my current abilities.
    The best I can do right now is open my GMS 1 games with GMS 2...and hope everything runs...
    because trying to alter them in GMS 2 seems complicated to me.

Is GMS 1 easier for beginning Game Makers to use than GMS 2 ?

2. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

No, I wouldn't say so. What I would say though is that you should start by doing the different GMS2 tutorials and then create a NEW project in GMS2. Trying to edit an imported 1.4 project without having actually used 2 is going to be a bit tough due to the way compatibility is handled.

chance and Guest User like this.
  3. K12gamer

K12gamer Member

Thanks...That sounds like a good idea.

I'll try out the tutorials and try to make a basic game from scratch...
    Example: Pong, Breakout or Pacman

chance likes this.
  4. Gamebot

Gamebot Member

Any new IDE will be some what of a challenge. Simply because your not used to it. When I went from 8.0 to Studio 1, immediate reaction was, What is this??? Even though much of Studio 1 was that 8.0 familiar layout, looking through the manual and resources piece by piece to see what was inside it seemed much more complicated. Now looking at Studio 2, Studio 1 is a piece of cake. I my self am still trying to get a grasp on all of Studio 2. What I found useful is watch a tutorial ALL the way through first. Taking notes sometimes helps as well. Then go back watch it again and do it. Please don't be one of those people that do it while watching and leave comments such as:

"Slow down. I'm trying to type as you speak."

I would be surprised if you actually learn anything from this. Except to copy and paste then wonder why your project isn't working.

Jabbers, chance and Nocturne like this.
  5. chance

chance predictably random Forum Staff Moderator

That's often true. But the Studio 2 importing feature is still useful when upgrading from v1.4. Once you import your old projects, their resources can be easily added to new Studio 2 projects. This makes it easy to re-use existing graphics, sounds, scripts, etc.

Of course you still have to modify some GML code to make it compatible with Studio 2. But that's fairly easy on a case-by-case basis, rather than fixing an entire game at once.

I imported my Studio 1.4 projects and re-named them like "name_archive". Now I can re-write / edit old code snippets as needed, or re-use other resources. Often, the required changes are small.

6. Dave M

Dave M Member

Ive stayed away from GMS2, I just got use to GMS1. GMS2 looks too complicated, for me anyway.

7. Misu

Misu The forum's immigrant

Not quite true since from my experience, Im still trying to get used to GMS2 in compare to how long it took me to get used to the IDE in GMS1.

However, like ALL programs, we all start out slow and unfamiliar with the interface, features, and workflow until we finally get a grip of it. You simply just have to practice with the program and get used to it from every experience you gain. It is always best to follow tutorials and play around with the features you find in the program to understand better how they are use until you finally be able to make things quick and easy. You wont do anything good if you only spent 2 hours with the program or a single day. You'll need more time to cherish it so dedicate every single day. Believe me, in the end, it will (probably) be worth it.

chance likes this.
  8. Carnivius

Carnivius Member

I got overwhelmed when I tried to learn it by starting a new project but found it much easier to import an already existing 1.4 project cos I felt more comfortable and familiar with things then and the compatibility scripts GMS2 makes automatically were super helpful in getting the game up and running under the new system and I could happily just continue with things while often looking at the compatibility scripts and learning what they're doing and how to use the replacement methods those things that it was looking after for me.

Though I still haven't gotten around to figuring out the camera system and been just using the compatibility script version of views for now. I'll get to it. I'm just having more fun getting on with the game itself for now. :p

And yeah I don't think I could go back to 1.4 now. Apart from the obvious room editor limitations of pre-GMS2 versions I'm just more comfy in the GMS2 IDE.

chance likes this.
  9. ChaoticSigh

ChaoticSigh Member

I've necroing this but I've found that there are certain things you could do in GMS1 that you can no longer do in GMS2 that make things more difficult as a result. For instance. Being able to plot your sprite origin with the cursor. Or am I just stupid.