• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GMS 2 ressource "id"

L

Lahssoo

Hey,
I'm working on a tool to generate tileset (because it's too long to create autotiles and animation manually for a big tileset). Everything works fine except... I can't generate ID :
I first thought it was a simple hexadecimal UID with the form xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx buuuuut it's not.

It might include some kind of checksum or something, and I couldn't find anything in the documentation. Does anyone have the solution?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
It is just a plain-old UUID, fill it out with random hexadecimal digits and you have it.

Whatever you developed the tool in, just make sure the random number generator isn't using a fixed seed and you'll probably be fine.

sylvain_l

it's UUID v4, so perhaps should respect the 13rd hex being always a 4
I never tried if GMS2 complain or not if it's not. (I don't think it check that)

L

Lahssoo

I kid you not, I was generating heptadecimal UUID >_<;

I honestly checked everything but this, thinking it was impossible to fail a UUID generator. That's a new low. Thank you o/

GMWolf

aka fel666
Oh that's good to know!
Though, havjn g tried to create resources myself, GM still complained with the UUId. Perhaps I messed it up somehow