• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMS 2 LIMITATIONS?

flyinian

I am currently planning on creating a game that is platform based with tower defense and idle game mechanics. I haven't found any forums or such that clearly lists the limitations with GMS2.

What I know so far:
1. GMS 2 has a hard time/cannot handle numbers higher than 2 billion.
2. GMS 2 also wasn't designed for 3D games and are hard to create with GMS2.
3. When it doesn't come to the above then it's limited to the developer.

This is all I know.

Thanks.

H

Homunculus

1. No idea what you are talking about. If it’s a question about gm being able to store values greater than 32 bits, it can. Does it really matter?

2. True, gm shines when dealing with 2d graphics

3. I’d say true in general. Generic question, generic answer.

I wouldn’t worry too much about “limits”, and more about actually planning and developing a good and fun game instead. That’s really the hard part, not the tool itself

With your limitation 1, there are ways of programming around that. I'm pretty sure GMS uses floating point numbers for all real numbers in the background, but even in C++, the max size of a signed long int is $7fffffff or ‭2147483647‬. For maths beyond that size, you just need to handle all the programming for arithmetic functions yourself. There are also plenty of cheat-y ways of displaying numbers of greater-than-32-bit values. I've seen plenty of cookie clicker clones in Game Maker, and those deal with ridiculous numbers far beyond 2.14e9.

L

Lonewolff

1. GMS 2 has a hard time/cannot handle numbers higher than 2 billion.
Really? Works fine for me.

Code:
var test = 1000000000000;
draw_text(20,20, string(test));
Maybe you are confusing limits with 'precision'. Which affects all CPU's and languages.

2. GMS 2 also wasn't designed for 3D games and are hard to create with GMS2.
True. But doesn't stop us.

Fixed it for you :)

flyinian

I guess I'll just make the game and see how it comes out and fix problems when they arise. :)

Thanks all.

1. No idea what you are talking about. If it’s a question about gm being able to store values greater than 32 bits, it can. Does it really matter?

2. True, gm shines when dealing with 2d graphics

3. I’d say true in general. Generic question, generic answer.

I wouldn’t worry too much about “limits”, and more about actually planning and developing a good and fun game instead. That’s really the hard part, not the tool itself
With your limitation 1, there are ways of programming around that. I'm pretty sure GMS uses floating point numbers for all real numbers in the background, but even in C++, the max size of a signed long int is $7fffffff or ‭2147483647‬. For maths beyond that size, you just need to handle all the programming for arithmetic functions yourself. There are also plenty of cheat-y ways of displaying numbers of greater-than-32-bit values. I've seen plenty of cookie clicker clones in Game Maker, and those deal with ridiculous numbers far beyond 2.14e9.
Really? Works fine for me.

Code:
var test = 1000000000000;
draw_text(20,20, string(test));
Maybe you are confusing limits with 'precision'. Which affects all CPU's and languages.

True. But doesn't stop us.

Fixed it for you :)