• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMS:2 Cheaper on steam.

W

warbo

Any reason the steam offer for GMS2 is cheaper than the "upgrade" price offered to current owners of professional and above?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
GMS on Steam is subject to regional pricing, like most other things on the platform. You can view the entire comparison table on SteamDB, but generally it is auto-adjusted by Steam to reflect average "buying power" in the region (e.g. average wages in Russia are times lower than those in Europe).

W

warbo

GMS on Steam is subject to regional pricing, like most other things on the platform. You can view the entire comparison table on SteamDB, but generally it is auto-adjusted by Steam to reflect average "buying power" in the region (e.g. average wages in Russia are times lower than those in Europe).
I guess it would make sense for me to buy it there than to use the promotion on offer from the site.

D

DigitalProphet

What i'm wondering is if I purchase or Upgrade GMS2 now on Steam, or here, do I get access to the MAC version when it launches?

D

DigitalProphet

Thansk for the feedback.
So basically what you are saying is I can buy now to take advantage of the discount (since I own 1.4 ) and then i will get the MAc version as well when it comes out.
Will really speed up my workflow if I can have a MacOS editor.

I applied for the Beta.

zbox

GMC Elder
It's cheaper on steam because you should not buy it on steam.

You are essentially screwing yourself by buying it on steam.

Did I say don't buy it on steam

hippyman

Don't mind Zbox. Sometimes he says weird things. ;)

There's nothing wrong with purchasing through Steam.

Thansk for the feedback.
So basically what you are saying is I can buy now to take advantage of the discount (since I own 1.4 ) and then i will get the MAc version as well when it comes out.
Will really speed up my workflow if I can have a MacOS editor.

I applied for the Beta.
Yep pretty much. I bought it the moment they released it just because I happened to have enough at the time.

rIKmAN

It's cheaper on steam because you should not buy it on steam.

You are essentially screwing yourself by buying it on steam.

Did I say don't buy it on steam
Why shouldn't you buy it on Steam?
If you purchase on Steam you get access to standalone, and if you purchase standalone you get access to the Steam version so I don't see any reason not to purchase through Steam?

zbox

GMC Elder
Why shouldn't you buy it on Steam?
If you purchase on Steam you get access to standalone, and if you purchase standalone you get access to the Steam version so I don't see any reason not to purchase through Steam?
There's nothing wrong with purchasing through Steam.

Welp that wasn't the case rIKmAN when I bought a steam module and couldn't get it added to the standalone (because using the steam version also just sucked in terms of procedure those days too - there was always something wrong with it) and had to end up just buying it again, the only way to do it in the early days was buy Standalone and THEN you'd get access to steam. Not bidirectional.

I guess if that's not the case any more then I'm just left with the bad taste. :p

rIKmAN

Welp that wasn't the case rIKmAN when I bought a steam module and couldn't get it added to the standalone (because using the steam version also just sucked in terms of procedure those days too - there was always something wrong with it) and had to end up just buying it again, the only way to do it in the early days was buy Standalone and THEN you'd get access to steam. Not bidirectional.

I guess if that's not the case any more then I'm just left with the bad taste. :p
This is GMS1 yeah?

Russell confirmed it's bi-directional for GMS2, as I also hate Steam and would prefer standalone if that wasn't the case, despite it costing more.

I *think* it may work for GMS1 now as well (don't quote me on this!) as when I linked my Steam account to my YYG account all the GMS1 stuff appeared from Steam as well.

zbox

GMC Elder
Yeah it was for GMS:1 and I do remember them saying something about fixing up bidirectionality of the GM1 license. Was too late for me then though!

Cpaz

This is GMS1 yeah?

Russell confirmed it's bi-directional for GMS2, as I also hate Steam and would prefer standalone if that wasn't the case, despite it costing more.

I *think* it may work for GMS1 now as well (don't quote me on this!) as when I linked my Steam account to my YYG account all the GMS1 stuff appeared from Steam as well.
Oh. By bi-direcitonal, I assume you mean you can transfer from steam, to standalone and vice versa?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
And since there's no smileys in Russell's post, this means it has to be true information, right? :p

Also, Steam can offer bundle prices based on software you already own, so it's possible the lower Steam price takes into account that you already have GMS1 registered. I don't think that's the case if you didn't actually get a Steam code for your GMS1, though.