OFFICIAL GMS 2.3.0 BETA ANNOUNCEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
001_2.3_blog.png

YoYo Games are very happy to announce that GameMaker Studio 2.3.0 is now in the Beta stage. At the moment this is a limited sign-up rollout, so get on it quick!!! Full details about sigining up are in the blog post below, as well as links to blogs with detailed information on the new features, and a video series on using the anticipated Sequences feature.

:)

NOTE! Closed Beta members do NOT need to re-apply! Also note that if you are already on the beta and have a question or think you have found a bug, please post on the official helpdesk forum found here: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/360000260018-GameMaker-Studio-Beta Do NOT post in this topic as there will be no official replies from YYG staff, and no bugs will be fixed unless they go through the proper channels.

EDIT: For those of you wanting a sneak peak of the changes and features, here's a link to download the Beta manual:

Keep in mind, this is NOT THE FINAL DOCUMENTATION and features may still change or be added or removed. ;)

Just download the ZIP, unzip it somewhere, then run the "index.html" file. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Cpaz

Hallelujah!

Ooh! Videos showcasing new features! Need to give them a look later.

Awesome to see this finally start to roll out. Fingers crossed this beta flies on by!

D

Deleted member 45063

Was on a video call with my grandma - literally put her on hold to apply 😅 she just thought the internet was failing again 😂

drandula

It's nice to have videos and information to be read and watched while waiting for application to be accepted

D

Deleted member 45063

I could not have checked the forums at a better time. Just signed up!
I understand the feeling xD I literally decided to split my cellphone screen to check up on the forum the minute Nocturne posted this thread, as soon as I read that you needed to register I just jumped on my laptop

GMWolf

aka fel666
Aaaaah! Does this mean I need to go back to YouTube? Seems like a lot of work...

Great news though! A really great step for GM, wether I end up using it or not.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
That new resource tree is going to be a godsend for asset creators too. No more having my crap in 5 different places, so you can delete the example/documentation stuff you no longer need from a single folder instead of all over the place. I may actually hold of on releasing Firehammer Max Ease until this update is done just not have to worry....but I may go ahead and release anyway in case the beta period takes longer than expected.

gnysek

It's nice to have videos and information to be read and watched while waiting for application to be accepted

----

Can't wait to try it, as I was already bombed enough with info about changes by my squirrel squad :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :p

Last edited:

Amon

if there is room for me then please add me to the beta.

[edit] Application done. Pick me Pick me Pick me Pick Me

drandula

I have so used to Sprites, Objects etc. folders and that these are always separated, that hadn't thought changing it. Now that new resource tree just clicked in my mind, I have been wanting one without knowing it :D

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I have so used to Sprites, Objects etc. folders and that these are always separated, that hadn't thought changing it. Now that new resource tree just clicked in my mind, I have been wanting one without knowing it :D
I used Unity for a while so this won't be difficult for me to get used to. Its a good thing overall!

I feel like asset creators and tutorial people are going to have some work cut out to update their content. We can organize our resources in the new resource tree. We can use the new functions to better organize our code(both global and in object). We get structs so we can quit doing hacky workarounds for data types like Vectors. We can redo our code to use the chained accessors....and the list goes on!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Good to see all of you so excited! Tbh, I am too! I really want to see what people do with sequences, as I have a feeling it's going to be one of those systems where the obvious things (like creating UI) lead to a lot of emergent uses that YYG never even thought of. :)

drandula

It may take some experiment and time to fully understand what new updates can do. But, ooooh yyeeees :D
How long queue there is for beta applicants, I am eagerly waiting 😅

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Good to see all of you so excited! Tbh, I am too! I really want to see what people do with sequences, as I have a feeling it's going to be one of those systems where the obvious things (like creating UI) lead to a lot of emergent uses that YYG never even thought of. :)
I see the same thing happening with the animation curves(even without sequences). You can apply them to lerping equations(and I'll add it to my Ease extension too). You could make a particle system that can use curves instead of simple values too, like to control color gradients and smooth acceleration on speed, etc... There is so much crap gonna be done by these creative GMC people!!!

Z

zendraw

when this update comes out ill definetly make a game with it.

the struct thing excites me, like i dont have to deal with objects no more.

H

Homunculus

I'm just happy this is happening before the end of the quarantine, more time to dig into the juicy new features!
Is there a url for the updated docs that I missed in the announcement post?

Bart

WiseBart
This update looks truly amazing, even more features seem to be in it than were previously announced.
It'll definitely take time to get used to all this!

Looks like the sequences have a huge potential with the only limitation being one's creativity.

I just signed up for the beta testing and hope to contribute my humble part to it :)

Aviox

Just watched the sequences tutorial series. Looks pretty cool!
One question -- will there be any ability to add curves between keyframes instead of linear changes? Couldn't see any evidence of that from the video.

Hyomoto

I was kind of ignoring 2.3 because it gets here when it gets here, but there goes that feeling of contentment and acceptance. I'm worried it will be like 2 was to 1 where it's impossible to go back. I still have work to do in 2.2!

That said, the blog keeps telling us to read the manual... Can we read the manual? I wouldn't mind reading it before I have access.

L

Luke Hollenback

Very excited for this! Saw that this update was on deck when I came back to GameMaker a few months ago – been looking forward to it since then.

Cpaz

So technically, functions will have the same scope as scripts?
We'll be able to use instance variables without issue?

drandula

Question about sequences, how changing sprite of moving character is handled?
I assume both characters both sprites needs to be in own asset, and other is hidden. Can other sprite be bound to other one? Or manually place where other one and change visiblity of both and move the other sprite asset?

M

Metroid3D

Applied, oh man am I excited for this! Everything in this just seems like a huge step up & the surprise "extra" features like the resource tree getting restructured is the icing on top.

Aviox

Yes! You can use animation curves and also create unique curves for specific tracks. :)
In the example on the blog, even animation curves look to only change linearly as well (at least in the gif included).
To make sure I understand... can you optionally make the line between points a "smooth curve" (or bezier curve) like in the path editor? e.g:

smoothcurve.jpg

If so, can the smooth curve itself be adjusted? or is just an on/off option like the path editor?
Is it editable per point/keyframe? Or does it apply to the whole animation curve / sequence track?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Question about sequences, how changing sprite of moving character is handled?
I assume both characters both sprites needs to be in own asset, and other is hidden. Can other sprite be bound to other one? Or manually place where other one and change visiblity of both and move the other sprite asset?
Yo can add as many examples of a sprite as you require and they will each be given a unique track which can be used to change their look and movement, etc... You can also parent tracks, so that one track will mimic and inherit the parent one, and you can change visibility of tracks by simply shortening or modifying it's track key. It's difficlt to explain with just words, but if I understand what you're saying correctly, it should do what you're asking about. :)

Is it editable per point/keyframe? Or does it apply to the whole animation curve / sequence track?
Okay, animation curves can be linear or use catmull-rom interpolation between points.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm already finding bugs 8+ hours per day (and still mostly use 1.4), so I think I'll sit the beta out and wait for stable 2.3 (I wouldn't really contribute much to the test results). But it's not been this exciting to stand by the sidelines and watch the magic happen in a long time!

drandula

It's difficlt to explain with just words, but if I understand what you're saying correctly, it should do what you're asking about. :)
Sounds about right, which is good. I was worried you need have two different assets and match their positions (and in this case if you decide change other ones position, other wouldn't update, as it would have been manually positioned to match other one.)

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I for one intend to transfer my projects to the new version just to see if they work and what changes. I will also try to do some actually testing of the new features as if they were in production(which is kinda the whole point of a beta from the Yoyo's point of view).

@rmanthorp @Nocturne: Hell yeah! Just watched the tutorial videos on sequences, and I'm super excited. Few questions, though: will we be able to move *objects* around with sequences or change variable values or anything like that? I'm thinking of those classic SNES style boss fights with a bunch of moving parts, so I'm wondering how I'd move hitboxes around/trigger different attack states and stuff based on sequences. Is that kind of stuff possible, or in the pipeline?

Really excited for this stuff! Checking out the GML/IDE upgrades now! Thanks YYG staff! GameMaker gets better with every update! =D

Edit: Holy 💩💩💩💩 tags are gonna make my project so much easier to handle. I can finally fix my janky collision system! :'D
You guys are awesome!

Edit edit: Animation curves, too?! IOJSIOFJSDf
ALL THREE OF THESE THINGS ARE THINGS I NEEDED AND WAS PLANNING ON PROGRAMMING MYSELF SOON. YOU GUYS ARE THE BESTTT.
Just saved me weeks or months of work, seriously. This update is the best.

Edit x3: The sequences explanation answered my questions. My week has been made, seriously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.