• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GMS 2.2 does everything I need it to. Should I still upgrade to 2.3?

basementApe

On the one hand, I'm quite happy with the version I have right now and want to avoid any disruptions to my workflow. I also remember that 2.3 had some teething issues last I checked. That stuff is probably ironed out by now tho.

On the other hand, if I am gonna switch it's probably better to do it now before my current project grows too big.

Any thoughts? How did your transition to 2.3 go? I know that scripts work differently now but that's fine. I always thought of scripts like regular functions anyway. Any other stuff that might cause headaches going from 2.2? Can I still go about things more or less the same way as before?

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
As you said " if I am gonna switch it's probably better to do it now before my current project grows too big." it all depends on how big is your projects right now!!

• Is it reaching the end of development phase?
  • is it in alpha/beta testing?
If so stick with GMS2.2

On the other hand:
  • if you have a demo environment
  • still a lot of placeholder art (boxes and circles)
  • just a debug room
  • still dueling with mechanics
IT should be okay to switch to GMS2.3... I would say that it is pretty stable right now as it is... and the next beta should arrive very soon with even more bug fixes and more stability.

You can actually try it out. You just backup the project and try GMS2.3.. in the worst case scenario would be..you decine you want to go back to GMS2.2.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The majority of the reported issues I saw people having were not with converted projects, rather with trying to follow tutorial code, or add to converted projects doing something the old(primarily the new function syntax). The converter actually handles all the functions(in scripts) you currently have and changes the syntax for you.

For me personally, everything I have ran perfectly without any changes as the converter did it all just fine. I did spend some time changing things to take advantage of the new GML features. I switched things to structs for example. And where it made sense I put like functions into the same script resource(you can do that now). And of course I reorganized the whole asset tree thing to put things in what I think is a better organization. Instead of having all scripts together, I make a folder for each thing(with subfolders, like enemies/enemy1) and then put scripts, objects, sounds, etc... all together for that one enemy.

As suggested above though, you can always backup, upgrade, and try it out. This is more and more a good idea the closer you are to the start of the project compared to how close you are to finishing it. There are plenty of features that can make the development process so much easier, that for me it is 100% worth it.

basementApe

Upgrade immediately.
Lol thanks, I think I probably will.

On the other hand:
  • if you have a demo environment
  • still dueling with mechanics
Yep, definitely more in the demo environment category still. I'd say the main gameplay loop is about 90% complete with inventory management, a savegame system, menus, and various scripted events yet to be implemented. So in other words, there's still a fair chunk of programming to be done.

The majority of the reported issues I saw people having were not with converted projects, rather with trying to follow tutorial code, or add to converted projects doing something the old(primarily the new function syntax). The converter actually handles all the functions(in scripts) you currently have and changes the syntax for you.

For me personally, everything I have ran perfectly without any changes as the converter did it all just fine.
That's good to know. I was concerned that the converter might mangle my code somehow i.e. turn it into a functional but convoluted mess.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll give it a spin :D

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Just make sure you take a look at the new way of defining functions. The other release notes also matter, but that one is the one that seems to get most of the people who made the topics complaining about it. The converter handles what is in your project already, but it won't do anything for the new stuff you write.