GMS 1 expiration date?

T

TheGameMakerGuide

Hello everyone!

I've been working on this project for a few years, it will be finished sometime in 2019 (hopefully), and the question is: will GMS1 be still functional ?

I would prefer not to migrate this project to GMS2.

Thanks.

Z

zendraw

why wuldnt it be functional? im sure you can find winamp 4.0 to be still functional.

rIKmAN

why wuldnt it be functional? im sure you can find winamp 4.0 to be still functional.
Because in 2019 any game made with it might not be able to be published to Steam, App Store, Google Play etc due to SDK and platform updates.
YYG have said they will be supporting GMS1 "for a long while yet", but 2019 might be pushing it a little, who knows.

If you don't mind me asking what project will you have been working on for 4-5yrs?

chamaeleon

Winamp probably does not require the ability to contact license server in case of reinstall or whatever triggers a license check. One overarching requirement to use GM:S is the continued operation of Yoyogames (in one form or another) so those servers do not go away. I don't feel too strongly about it, but whenever I think about buying programs in general, this particular issue is always nagging me in my head. Also not saying YYG is doing anything that is out of the ordinary for professional software.

Z

zendraw

you mean i cant use my license without connecting to the internet? what if im working on a offline pc? also if im not mistaken i dont have issues when working offline.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I don't know if I would trust it for that far out. The software itself would likely keep working for the most part, but there is a certain point that I don't expect Yoyo to do updates as far as those SDKs, etc... If the project is truly worth it and you really think you are going to take that long to complete it, I'd recommend you bite the bullet and upgrade it to GMS2. I expect GMS1 to get updates to sometime in 2018, although that is still a ways out there. I'm not Yoyo though, so any statement I make on that is pure speculation.

Roderick

you mean i cant use my license without connecting to the internet? what if im working on a offline pc? also if im not mistaken i dont have issues when working offline.
You need a periodic connection:
This is just like Studio 1.x, it requires a connection around once a month to validate licenses etc. So at least once a month you will need to re-authenticate. This is normally automatic, but if the license expires you may have to re-login.

T

TheGameMakerGuide

If you don't mind me asking what project will you have been working on for 4-5yrs?
I've been working on this project in my spare time for a couple of years, it became big and impressive but I would not enjoy porting this project to anywhere else.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
"Regarding the future support & sale of GMS1.x"

The News said:
We are currently working on a new release for 1.x with a focus on additional Spine support. While 1.x will continue to receive support and patches to ensure that all platforms can be reached, and while any major bugs will still be fixed, this is planned to be the last release for 1.x that includes new or additional features in order to start devoting our energy towards GameMaker Studio 2.

As we have said before, we will be continuing to support 1.x for the foreseeable future. Substantial advance notice will be given of any future plans to discontinue this support should that be considered at a much later date.
The program will still receive essential maintenance and updates to core elements, although only critical bugs will be fixed and no new features will be added. So that should be the last of our worries.

Also, YoYo have clearly said that it won't be possible for them to predict a date when they would cease maintenance of GMS 1.x at this moment. So if you fear it might happen any time soon, I'd suggest porting the game to GMS2 ASAP. But it's very unlikely that it would happen so soon.

zbox

GMC Elder
Guys, GM 8.1 is still functional... I think GMS1 will be fine.
Unfortunately this just isn't true... 8.1 only exports for windows which does not have changing platform requirements and a duct-tape mash of SDK's like studio has.

Hell GMS broke many times for many weeks/months even with different exports in its own product cycle lifetime. Once it is not officially supported it will become redundant pretty fast.

Coded Games

Also, I've had very few problems importing all of my games into GMS2. The compatibility scripts it creates all seem to work pretty well. I would at least try importing your game into GMS2 just to see if it works before betting on GMS2 getting support for the next 2 years.

F

Freedom2Fight

Whoa. I just got GM:S seven months ago and started on my project at the same time. I'm still learning and I've still got a lot to learn. I hope to finish before 2019 but this is really worrisome.

T

TheGameMakerGuide

http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235626968
While GameMaker: Studio 1.x will continue to be fully supported, when GameMaker Studio 2 leaves Beta and officially launches - sometime in the first quarter of 2017 - the 1.x product line will be removed from sale. If you already own GameMaker: Studio 1.X when this happens, then you can still download it from the Licences page of your YoYo Account, or if you are a new GameMaker Studio 2 user, then you will get 1.X bundled as part of your purchase (the bundled 1.X has Windows, Ubuntu (Linux) and Mac export options only), but you will no longer be able to buy it, upgrade it nor create a new license for the Free version.
https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/401
Therefore, when we launch GameMaker Studio 2 (Q1, 2017), we will be taking GameMaker: Studio 1.x off sale from that point, and will instead bundle GameMaker: Studio 1.x Professional with purchases of GMS2 products.

Only 1.x Studio Professional will be bundled, there will be no further way to purchase export modules for Studio 1.x after that point and we will no longer be distributing new free licenses for GameMaker: Studio Standard.
It seems they'll drop export modules support very soon, I'm developing for Android so I'm stuck :(

Can I expect this same marketing strategy repeating again in 5 years or so with GMS3? :eek:

Coded Games

They aren't dropping support for them, they are no longer going to be sold so if you don't have them already I guess you should buy them. But really, you've been working on a game that you plan to port to Andriod, for years, and haven't bought the module yet? You should be testing your game all the time on the devices to plan to export to. If you don't there might be some strange bug that only effects one OS that has just been growing and growing over the years. When you finally find out about it, it may be ridiculously hard to fix.

Z

zendraw

what about people who alredy have a standart license? will the license be valid once they stop selling gms1?

T

TheGameMakerGuide

They aren't dropping support for them, they are no longer going to be sold so if you don't have them already I guess you should buy them. But really, you've been working on a game that you plan to port to Andriod, for years, and haven't bought the module yet? You should be testing your game all the time on the devices to plan to export to. If you don't there might be some strange bug that only effects one OS that has just been growing and growing over the years. When you finally find out about it, it may be ridiculously hard to fix.
I have already bought all the export modules. I've been testing my game on different Android devices all this time since I'm very concerned about performance.

Just feeling a little bit scared of losing all the work of all these years all of sudden, if they decide to drop Android export capabilities for GMS1 in the near future.

Z

zendraw

shuldnt newer versions of android run older versions of apps? when i run games for older versions then mine they run just fine.