• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM GMS 1.4999 playing wrong sounds

bsabiston

I am working on getting a stable version of my game in GMS2, but I need to issue an emergency update and so I want to use the old GMS1 version. Today I compiled and ran my old previously-working game project for the first time in a long time with GMS1, and it is playing the wrong sounds. Anyone recognize this issue? For example I tell it to play the sound for a sword hit and it plays the sound for a health potion. I tried cleaning the project, it did not help.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks!

bsabiston

The compile log does say it is missing some files - but I don't use those. Does the most recent version of GMS 1 cause an error if it can't find missing audio files, even if they are unused?

The Early Access version I have (1.99.551) does not produce this problem.

EDIT: Well, I went through and assigned small default sounds to the ones that were producing compile errors, and it works now. The compile said it was using the default sound 'ding' but instead it was causing this error...

Last edited:
L

LawH

I can confirm, that if you don't assign any audio to any file (I kept one empty for testing and other purposes), you will get errors.

Record a short piece of empty audio for a blank sound, and everything should work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for bump, but this is the top result for this in google for me.

Had this issue as well, and yes some sounds were incorrectly being replaced as "windows ding" even when they were supposed to have sounds. But even fixing that (reimporting the missing sounds) didn't solve the problem. If you press the play button on the sound panel in the IDE, it plays the correct sound, but ingame it plays a different one.

The solution for me was to ensure that the sound files were in the same folder location as the project file before importing them, as if they're on a different hard drive / virtual disk (e.g. compatibility between VMs) it can cause this. Although this error only seems to start to occur a lot when you have 10 or more sounds from various locations across disks. It doesn't seem to happen at first with 1 sound.

AnthonyRose

I can say I've had this issue myself too, I found 3 fixes for this.

-The first: Make sure that your sounds have atleast one use, don't add more sound resources to the resource tree if you don't need them yet.
-Second: If/when you're making resource tree sub-groups make sure to do that early, I had around 15 sounds one time with no sub-groups, at the time of doing sub-groups and ordering and putting everything "where it should be" it started creating that exact audio issue; also always make sure to check your project's source directory whenever you do a big change to your resource tree like that of the sub-groups or deleting resources that you no longer use, if something is out of place then that could be the source of your current audio issue.
-Third: Save your project with "Save as" and choose a slightly different name, that new project will have everything on the source directory correctly and shouldn't give much issue.

P.S.: Remember to use backups