• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMS 1.49 tutorials

doomtucan

yes i am wondering if there is any good tutorials for making an action role playing game with multiplayer support? Please link written text tutorials only please for they are easier to follow!

Psycho_666

RPGs are pretty much the most difficult genre of games to make alongside strategy games.
The internet is full of tutorials for the different elements of the game - inventory, movement, skill systems, etc etc. Multiplayer only makes things more difficult.
If you need tutorials, my guess is you are not the most experienced developer. I would strongly recommend that you take your time and make a few smaller games before you go into something as large and complex as multiplayer action RPG...

curato

Yes, getting the moving and swinging a sword around it easy enough, but story tracking, inventory systems, persistent items like treasure chest already looted... the real issue is keeping track of all that data. If you know how to make basic games already look data structures like ds_map ds_list arrays etc. Understand how to use each of them and what the best use for each are.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
While the above comments are true, there is also nothing stopping you jumping in at the deep end and trying to make something like this! I mean, it's a great way to learn all about the different systems that are required by just about any game, so as long as you are aware that the task is going to be a long and challenging one, then go for it (but also be prepared to put it on hold and make smaller games to get familiar with GMS and programming in general!). Just take it a step at the time and break down what you want to do into bite-size tasks, like "movement", "attacking", "enemies", etc...

That said, written tutorials for this kind of thing are VERY hard to find, as written content takes a lot of time and effort to produce, host and make available, while video content is much faster to produce and host, so you're probably stuck with checking videos on YouTube. I know a few developers have done RPG tutorial series on their, just do a wee search for GameMaker RPG and you'll find them. And even though some of them are for GMS2 most of the code will be pretty much the same...