• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMOC: Tool for creating objects

Phil Strahl

I was up with always having to manually create and wire up my objects with scripts in Game Maker so I coded this little tool that did it for me, incl. template code snippets etc. I have been using it for the past two years, I thought it was time to share it with the world, well, or other Game Maker developers.

Here's a video demonstration of what it does:

And here's the link to itch.io where you can download it for free, but a little donation is highly appreciated ;)
ā–ŗ https://pixelprophecy.itch.io/gmoc

KurtBlissZ

I actually been looking into xml to make something like this.

Only complaint is you can't easily switch between different templates but as a work around I just made shortcuts to GMOC exe and have the program run in it's own directory, so each shortcut can work as its own template.

I hope to see more improvements to this, not sure if the benefit is going to be enough at the moment for me to worry about setting everything up.

Phil Strahl

Thanks for giving it a try. Sounds like perhaps a command-line version of GMOC would be useful to you where you can pass individual templates as arguments or something...

KurtBlissZ

Thanks for giving it a try. Sounds like perhaps a command-line version of GMOC would be useful to you where you can pass individual templates as arguments or something...
Nah, the work around I mention would probably be easier. I was thinking of just adding a drop down menu where you could pick what template that you wanted to use.

All my other ideas are probably going beyond the original purpose of this program. But it would also be nice if you could just import groups of assets into your project while keeping them in all in their groups. So if I had a group of scripts dedicated to drawing or AI, I wouldn't have to port them all to game maker, then click and drag each script into each group that I want it in...

It would be just nicer if YoYoGames had some kind of an update where assets could be ported in by directories or groups. That would also get rid of the need for this program too. Your marketplace's library basically does this; though it sucks you can't add your own things to it and take things out of it.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Seems pretty cool! I'm not that interested in trying new extensions to GM since I'm kinda used to the old workflow after the last decade being spent in it... but it's always interesting to see what people create. (I guess I'm sort of like those "XOMG TECHNOLOGY IS EVILLLLLLLL" grandparents in a way :p)

Phil Strahl

[ā€¦](I guess I'm sort of like those "XOMG TECHNOLOGY IS EVILLLLLLLL" grandparents in a way :p)
I can relate. I recently tried out Parakeet 2 but after a sobering afternoon, I returned to te good old GM:S IDE. It might be clunky, but I know what I can expect ;)

S

Salvakiya

this is really neat actually. I have never been a fan of storing code in scripts but I have always favoured the way parakeet handles code vs game maker. unfortunately parakeet costs money and IMO its not ready for that. its just so incomplete. I hope this helps get rid of my itch!

Phil Strahl

this is really neat actually. I have never been a fan of storing code in scripts but I have always favoured the way parakeet handles code vs game maker. unfortunately parakeet costs money and IMO its not ready for that. its just so incomplete. I hope this helps get rid of my itch!
I've spent way too much money on Parakeet after I toyed around with it an afternoon. I realized later that for anything a little bigger it's still too buggy and clunky to be useful to me, so I might look at it again in a year or two. But having all the code at your fingertips really is nice, though. I hope GMOC is useful to you as well :)

S

Salvakiya

could you implement more events? Also your templates make me curious. I would love to see how you utilise this in a project. maybe you should make a video about it =)

Phil Strahl

Those are the only events GMOC supports and they are pretty hard-coded. It should be possible, however, to add some more in the long run. I'd just need some undisturbed time to tinker with the UI and the code again.

And thanks for your interest in my template code! Making a little video on how I like to setup my projects in GM could happen down the line. All I need is a little spare time for that as well ;)

S

Salvakiya

I know its a little off topic but do_init is actually something I could see myself using quite alot. there are many cases where I need things initialised outside the create event. I always used alarm[0] but that is sloppy.