GMC Elder
Marketplace: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/4808/gmlvideo
Category:
Extensions
Price: $39.99 $19.99
Modules: All (except HTML5)

Description:
Now supports GMS:2!

A full GML-only video player implementation! Can play multiple videos at once with great performance (Average 2000 fps on mid range computer, 720p video).
Smooth performance on low end & older mobile devices as well, video shows Galaxy Note 4 running at a constant 60 FPS (Capped).

This asset is recommended for shorter, lower range HD resolution videos (as aforementioned, 720p videos run fine). For long, high resolution playback exclusive to desktops there are other assets on the marketplace that cater to those needs.

Features
  • Truly cross platform playback. One line of code and one video file fits them all.
  • Pause, fast forward video.
  • Advanced timing mechanism: Audio and video always sync up to the target frame rate, despite what the game is running at.
  • Use the video output as a texture. Run it through a shader, use it as a 3d model's texture, draw it to a surface, many more applications!
  • Extremely light on memory, smart caching to keep the video ready to play
  • Supports all major formats through converter

If you want more of an insight, feel free to Download the converter and read the manual.

On a final note, there are other assets on the marketplace that provide multi platform video support, the distinction here being that their method is loading images as quickly as possible from the hard drive, making it virtually unusable on mobile devices and a big battery drainer. GMLVideo uses actual hard drive streaming, caching and on the fly compression to deliver a fast and smooth video output.

Last edited:

zbox

GMC Elder
Just playing with the converter. Seems it has crashed (unless it is thinking about something behind the scenes). I'll leave it running and see if it recovers.
Ah no :( do let us know how it goes and I'll upload a bugfix if there is a problem. I've had to do some interesting things to worm my way out of the gamemaker sandbox so maybe that is the cause. I do know it freezes up between frames (3 seconds ish) and while it is compiling (dependent on video length).

zbox

GMC Elder
Ooh, that might be it. I just grabbed the first video file I could find. It is 1920 x 1080 at 60 FPS and about 2 minutes long.

I might have hit it too hard - LOL
by the sounds of it haha; the most I've been willing to put through it so far is 720p just due to the practical file size limitations for my projects.

Last edited:

zbox

GMC Elder
Ah you're too kind :') I do see space for both really though, they are really still in different niches. This will never be able to play a 10min long HD video without a lot more work and is only more for smaller clips. Thanks for the support :)

zbox

GMC Elder
New update:
Fixed a bug with the converter - users with spaces in their names will now be able to convert files.
Small performance upgrades for the player.

Last edited:
M

mudora55

Hi zbox:

I bought SafeSave and GMLVdieo recently. Love both. However, can you make GMLVideo compatible in game maker studio 2.0? The audio works but not the graphical side.

Thanks!

zbox

GMC Elder
Hi zbox:

I bought SafeSave and GMLVdieo recently. Love both. However, can you make GMLVideo compatible in game maker studio 2.0? The audio works but not the graphical side.

Thanks!
Hi there!

Unfortunately there is a bug with GameMaker Studio 2 (much to my disappointment) that causes the problem with GMLVideo. I have a private bug report with YYG, that's as far as I can take it at the moment. In the meantime I am working on an alternative solution and I will update this thread with more info.

Thanks for your patronage!

Last edited:
M

mudora55

Hi there!

Unfortunately there is a bug with GameMaker Studio 2 (much to my disappointment) that causes the problem with GMLVideo. I have a private bug report with YYG, that's as far as I can take it at the moment. In the meantime I am working on an alternative solution and I will update this thread with more info.

Thanks for your patronage!
Thanks so much for the reply. I'll be waiting.

zbox

GMC Elder
Updated: Gamemaker Studio 2 support added!

Just in time for the release of mobile platforms and UWP :)

M

mudora55

Updated: Gamemaker Studio 2 support added!

Just in time for the release of mobile platforms and UWP :)
Thanks for the quick update. It works!!

However, I don't know if they are bugs in the marketplace... but...

1. I cannot add extension via "add existing", the yymp file doesn't show up. Therefore, I can only "add existing from library".

2. I can see the files in the data files, but nothing happens when I try to add/import them. I end up using the old converter and the old vid I created before. (I suspect you should rename the folder "Included Files" instead of "datafiles")

Last edited by a moderator:

zbox

GMC Elder
Interesting I will have a look into those two problems although I suspect they are more on YYG's end. I don't get to change the file structure of packages either but datafiles is what "Included Files" was called in GMS1, still getting to grips with 2 though :p

Also that's worrying if you couldn't find the new converter, the changes I made to get it to be compatible with GMS2 should be breaking (there is also a mechanism in the file format to stop old versions from playing and display a warning - did you see that?). I'm also even more surprised you say the old format still works!! If it does then I will switch it back to the old format as the new one produces a little larger file sizes.

M

mudora55

Interesting I will have a look into those two problems although I suspect they are more on YYG's end. I don't get to change the file structure of packages either but datafiles is what "Included Files" was called in GMS1, still getting to grips with 2 though :p

Also that's worrying if you couldn't find the new converter, the changes I made to get it to be compatible with GMS2 should be breaking (there is also a mechanism in the file format to stop old versions from playing and display a warning - did you see that?). I'm also even more surprised you say the old format still works!! If it does then I will switch it back to the old format as the new one produces a little larger file sizes.
No, I didn't receive any error message. However, I have a question. It actually happens in the old version as well. Whenever I move the game window (or minimize it) while playing the video, the screen doesn't clean up property. Some pixels on the screen become dark, it will then slowly diminish as the video continues.

zbox

GMC Elder
This is because GM annoyingly cleans the surfaces a lot more often that would be optimal - I do have a fix in the works which allows you to add keyframes which will stop this effect that will be out soon :)

zbox

GMC Elder
Bugfixes for lost video and problems with autoplay and looping added.

Demo also updated :)

zbox

GMC Elder
Update 13/03/2017:

Converter backend has now been rewritten in C++, for about a 40% speed improvement!