OFFICIAL GML Updates in 2019 (Follow up AMA)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by rmanthorp, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Pfap

Pfap Member

Yea, minimum viable product is a fine line to tread. If that is what they are doing and by your examples it would appear to be so... the virtual keyboard seems to be another candidate.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_product

Anyways, I think GameMaker is a good tool really quite impressive with all it has going on and with the ease a lot of features can be implemented. But, I anticipate these new features to have their issues too.

2. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Member

SYNTAX QUESTION:
    Will
    Code:
    array[0, 0, 0, 0, 0] = value;
    be equivalent to
    Code:
    array[0][0][0][0][0] = value;
    ?
    For clarity, multi-dimensional arrays are not a thing? All arrays are nested arrays, regardless of the syntax used to create them? Is that correct?
    And the [0] to the right is the one inside the [0] to the left?

TERMINOLOGY QUESTION:
    I'm kind of straddling the two camps, "excited for new features" and "feeling alienated". And as someone who can see both sides, I agree it is not that the new features are too advanced. It's that to describe them, SCARY NEW TERMINOLOGY WE'VE NEVER HEARD BEFORE is being bandied about like we're already supposed to know what words like "method", "class", "bound", and "constructor" mean in context, with no explanation what so ever. Personally, the part of the announcement about "binding selfs" still reads like word salad to me; I have no idea what it means.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  3. Lukan

Lukan Gay Wizard Freak

So, I think this was answered in the help desk topic, but I'm not positive...
    GML QUESTION:
    I have a several years old project that makes heavy use of Scripts, these will still work as expected with no changes?
    Also, if these old scripts work as expected, will I still be able to update and make new scripts that use these new features?

4. Posh Indie

Posh Indie Member

For the first time in a long time I will say, "Well done!". This is the right direction to be moving in.

5. FlameRooster

FlameRooster Member

The only thing left this year I am curious about is Sequences and what we will be able to achieve with them. Would be nice if we could use Sequences to do story cutscenes easier.

Taddio likes this.
  6. NeutronCat

NeutronCat Member

Good things!

7. RanDumSocks

RanDumSocks Member

Wow, been waiting for a few years for these features! This is the start of GML becoming a fully functional object-orientated language! Now I almost want to pause development and wait for these features because using the shortcuts I have been doing to get around them will just cause more refactoring when they do come out.

8. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Yes

Yes

:)

Lukan likes this.
  9. Coercive

Coercive Member

Any updates on any of the topics brought up here? Any decisions on calling the current objects "actors" or any of the sorts?

I totally can't wait for it to drop so we can fix this redundant change that was made with real(). Wrap it in a try..catch instead of using a JSON object.

10. gnysek

gnysek Member

I think that if they made up any decisions, we won't know until beta of GML changes, which may be sometime between end of summer and November ? I hope that there will be beta... this is too big change to just release it in Q4.