GMC Forums GML to BBCode vizualizer

C

CedSharp

I've created an application very similar to YellowAfterLife's GameMaker Visualizer.
I didn't find the DND icons on this forum, so I used those of the yoyogames doc.

- Note:
If someone could point me out where I can find better icons for gamemaker studio, I would ever be grateful.

Here is what it looks like ( I tried to keep the same color-ambiance as the forums )

Here is an example of copy-pasting the bbcode directly here in a poste:
Create Event
Execute Code
if( this_works == true ) {
me.emotion = "happy";
}
How to use:
1. Start typing in the Forum's Rich text editor like you would normally do.

2. When you're ready to either hightlight some gml or to add the GM:S icons, copy and past your text into the top textbox of GMLtoBB.

3. Use the '[gml]' and '[/gml]' tags around the code you want hightlighted, for example:
Code:
[gml]if( itWorks == true ) {
  self.emotion = "happy";
}[/gml]
Note, make sure you don't actually use the [ code ] tags! Otherwise it won't work.

4. to add an icon, just place the caret at the position where you want the icon, then click on the icon in the right panel.

5. When you're happy with the preview you have in the bottom left, simply copy the generated bbcode in the bottom right textbox to the rich-text editor, hit preview to make sure everything is alright, then post!

The top textbox contains the code. ( simi-bbcode for now )
When you click on an icon on the right, it adds an img tag at the caret's position.
I added a special [ gml ] tag which instead of creating a code block, will render the text using [ indent ] tags and [ color ] tags so to add syntax highlighting. ( simple regex over basic gml stuff )

I used the files generated from the resources > show all built-in variables,functions,constants,
and added keywords myself ( if, else, while, for, null, noone, undefined, etc )

The panel in the bottom-left corner is a preview that updates live as you type in the top textbox.
The textbox in the bottom-right corner is the bbcode to copy-paste on the forums to get the expected result.

If this gets used and popular, I will update it to support as much features as YellowAfterLife's app did.

I would like to know in which forum area I should do so, and how should I do it?

** EDIT **
GMLtoBB is now available at this address: http://gmltobb.cedrik.xyz/

Regards,
CedSharp

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
Thats really cool! keep up the great work!
unfortunately, i dont use DnD much, so i dont think ill make much use of it, but i can see it become quite popular!
again, nice work!

C

CedSharp

Thats really cool! keep up the great work!
unfortunately, i dont use DnD much, so i dont think ill make much use of it, but i can see it become quite popular!
again, nice work!
I mainly created it to be able to answer in the "Programming" section of this forum.
My main concern was adding syntax highlight, using the [gml] tag :)

Thanks for showing interest in this app :D

C

CedSharp

Propagation finally completed, the application GMLtoBB is available at the following url: http://gmltobb.cedrik.xyz/

Viva simple Drag'n'Drop explanation and examples:

StepEvent
Execute script 'scr_update_game_init()'
If 'game_started' is equal to 'true'

Play sound 'snd_conf_completed'
Room Goto Next
Execute script 'scr_end_game_init()'​

Last edited:

KurtBlissZ

This is an awesome tool. This should be pinned in the programing forums.

Hoping it never goes down in the future which I imagine wouldn't be anytime soon :p

Also is it a good idea or a reasonable idea to include what tab each drag and drop icon is in? Also would is possible to automatically add hyperlinks to the Drag and Drop icons to the docs.yoyogames.com? I think this is a cool of enough tool as it is but if you're interested in adding more features.

C

CedSharp

This is an awesome tool. This should be pinned in the programing forums.

Hoping it never goes down in the future which I imagine wouldn't be anytime soon :p

Also is it a good idea or a reasonable idea to include what tab each drag and drop icon is in? Also would is possible to automatically add hyperlinks to the Drag and Drop icons to the docs.yoyogames.com? I think this is a cool of enough tool as it is but if you're interested in adding more features.
Hey thanks for demonstrating an interest in my work.

1. The icons are in the exact same tabs and in the exact same order as they are in GameMaker, so one should feel at home when using my tool.
2. Maybe what I can do is that if you drag n drop the icon, it adds the bbcode for the image, and if you just click on the icon, it actually creates an
url linking to the docs.yoyogames.com page related to it.

That actually gave me an idea. I'll have to see how complex the documentation urls are, but if not too hard, I will try to make it so that
GameMaker functions, variables and constants are clickable in the code, they would link to the yoyogame documentation.

so it could look like this ( try clicking on the variables and the function ) :

{
}

I also want to implement the same Editor than the one you use to write on the forums.
So when you drag n drop an icon, instead of showing the bull💩💩💩💩 it would actually
show the image as you type. What is currently online is a quick prototype I made
just to see if people are interested, and sadly I think it lacks the interest I was seeking in
order to actually really work on this project :/

Last edited: