GMC Forums GML Merit Badges

HayManMarc

Does the GMC forums need a Drag and Drop section separate from a GML section? Also, I noticed there is a Post Title prefix for Drag and Drop, but not one for GML. Should there be a prefix for GML?

I don't have an answer for either of these, just posing the question for comment and discussion. It seems that using Drag and Drop and using GML are two very different beasts. It also seems that those that use one, don't (or won't) use the other. Often, this will either prevent someone who is answering a question the ability to help with an issue, or promote them to suggest their own preferred usage (DnD or GML) over the questioner's.

When it happens that the person answering a question about DnD answers with, "I don't know but I'd write some code like such and such and so and so," that doesn't always help the fresh, green newbie who's trying to get their first grips on programming in general. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes it just goes over the poor newbie's head.

I think it might be possible that a few of the GML users around here may be in danger of wearing their GML merit badges a bit too proudly and elitely, while becoming blind to the plight of the true and excited beginner.

Peace

Llama_Code

I don't think D&D needs a separate section per se, I think that would just further divide the community and end up with a lot of people not getting answers because most probably wouldn't go in there.

While a D&D question can't always be answered in D&D any help can be useful, if the person really wants to its not to hard to reverse the GML with one of the many D&D to GML guides out there, not ideal but better than nothing.

While I agree some people can be elitist about their GML skills, and some look down on D&D users, not all people than answer in code are that way.

I for one can't use D&D, my brain is just not wired that way it's not that I don't use it, I just litteraly can't. For me it's more difficult to organize and keep track of and using it makes the project harder for me, so it's hard for me to answer with it. I don't knock people that use it, and I don't think I'm better than them, in fact I give props to anyone that can code a whole game with it, because I couldn't.

I don't think I have ever been in a community that doesent have a few elitists kicking around, but I think the ones that are not that way outnumber them by far, and the are a lot of people that just genuinely want to help, they just may not be capable of helping in the D&D department. And a couple well known users come off as brash but really aren't when the user actually tries to help themselves. I usually just avoid those threads unless they are not getting any help at all, then I'll try and muddle my way though it.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
D&D literally has nothing to offer that code hasn't (other than icons that accompanies each function, which doesn't impact performance in any way), and it's a lot harder to share it on the forums as well compared to just copypasting your code as plaintext. It's also taking up way more screenspace than code, making it hard to overlook, and the over-splitting-up-stuff-ness makes it hard to manage and edit large chunks of DnD.

I can see DnD making sense as a beginner's tool, but it's basically just a Dumbo-style magic feather at this point since there's more or less an 1:1 correspondence between a DnD action and a line of code.