1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GM:S 1.4 [GML] How to make my character flash different colors

Discussion in 'Programming' started by evolsuperx, Jun 26, 2016.

1. evolsuperx

evolsuperx Guest

I am making a crossover game and I am wondering how can I make my character flash similar to how zero flashes through different color while he is charging his beam up. http://puu.sh/pG4a1/69585ce492.gif < you may can't see it good because of the gif frame rate.

2. bojack29

bojack29 Member

Definitely a shader would work wonders here.

Basically you grey scale the areas of a sprite that are to be treated with color. Then you include a uniform into the shader that will look for all pixels within the sprite that are r == b == g. (All the reds, blues and greens match in value - meaning it is white, gray or black).

Then you treat those colors with whatever color it was that you used in the uniform.

Edit: Or what atx said about making the images yourself ^^^^. That would work too.

Rivo likes this.
  3. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Pixelated_Pope made a palette-swap shader back on the old forums that is pretty good, check that out. It should be in the Shaders sub-directory, pretty high up in the list since a lot of people commented on it all the time.

...or never mind, I'll go get it for you: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=587773

4. Snail Man

Snail Man Member

Seems like for this simple of a thing, just making an alternate sprite to flicker back and forth is the best approach. Unless you need to do it along large parts of the screen, a shader seems like overkill

5. Roa

Roa Member

If you want him to flash during any animation, you would have to make separate sprite sheets of every color of flash and have those ready on texture pages. Also have to go through the manual labor of recoloring all those animations.

OR

Could just call a shader before draw :p
    Its not overkill.

6. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Shaders aren't that hard to use once you get into it, really. I've started using shaders for enemy hurtflashes lately, and it's just two more lines of code compared to my previous approach. I find it a lot harder to MAKE shaders than using them x3
    ...and even so, you don't really need to make shaders either since there's so many free ones available on the Marketplace.

(And that's probably because GM doesn't have help for them, and the official documentation is a lot more spread out and hard to read)

7. evolsuperx

evolsuperx Guest

Well, I am going to use image_blend. Thanks for the suggestion, ladies and gentle. I gotta look into shaders one day, aswell.