GMC Jam GMCity Carnage

S

Snail Man

GMCity Carnage
Featuring online highscores!

screen_17.png

After bots overran Gamemaker City, President Playtech placed it under quarantine

They had to remove the bot threat once and for all.

One platoon of bots survived, and began advancing on the new GMUtopia.

The deceased moderating team from the old GMCity, awakened by moderatorial duty, are the only people (corpses) who can stop the bots from destroying the new GMUtopia!

Game made for the 1st GMC Jam on the new GMC forums in 72 hours.
Theme: EVERYONE IS DEAD
Everything in this game is by Snail_Man

Last edited by a moderator:
F

faissaloo

After the cutscene (which was awesome btw) I got this:
of Async Event: HTTP
for object obj_highscore_draw:

real argument incorrect type
at gml_Object_obj_highscore_draw_Other_62
############################################################################################

S

Snail Man

Argh! I ran into that error one time, but couldn't replicate it! Just try restarting the game and hitting space to skip the cutscene

S

Snail Man

Hmm... Do you have a consistent internet connection? (Working on a fix)

EDIT: The issue was that I was trying to use real() on a string with commas. It should be fixed if you redownload the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

faissaloo

Just played it, and I have to say:
AWESOME
Dan's head in INSANE, Nal is by far my favourite character, especially after you upgrade him to have TONS of bullet streams, I love it!

S

Snail Man

Thank you! I always had trouble with the Dan character, which is why I gave him the score buff. Glad to hear someone likes him!

A

Aura

(Review time! No idea why but I was trying to review this game for a decent amount of time. Just couldn't put together things.)

Okay... the game is about the GMC moderating staff and spambots. You stole my heart right there. ^^'

To begin with, the game is well-presented and a decent effort has been put into it. The only thing that bugged me when I started playing the game is that it had no title/menu music despite having such a beautiful introduction and no SFX either, so you might want to work on that.

Another thing that I noticed about music is that if you exit the gameplay, return to the menu and restart the game, the music would start over-lapping which gets quite annoying and I had to quit to make it stop. Music is great and suits the theme anyway.

Graphics are simple and sweet. Not sure if I'm a huge fan of the colour choice though. Bottom was way too dark and I couldn't locate bots very well. You'd perhaps want to tweak the colours a bit, so the obstacles and enemies stand out. Good job with the characters though; very well drawn and implemented into the gameplay.

The gameplay was fun. And I had hours of the same. I loved each character except perhaps Dan. The idea of a melee combat in a scrolling shooter was unique but it didn't fit in well enough. I could barely last ten seconds with it. Nocturne, NAL and Dadio were great though. After a bit of upgrading, they were disastrous. (I loved how @Nocturne could put everything on fire, but you missed the-*cough* toe hair chance.)

Apart from that, I had issues with the upgrading system. It appears all of a sudden and I ended up upgrading the wrong attribute thrice. Also, I couldn't figure out what each option stood for when I played it for the first time, so descriptions couldn't have hurt.

Some enemies were very difficult, particularly the rapid bullet shooter. If you come across it, it is a game over. Unless you kill it, of course. You could try giving the player some invincibility. Or have a checkpoint system since it's nearly impossible to finish the game in one run. (And I wanted to know what Nocturne could do after getting all of his attributes upgraded, too! >.<)

Overall the game was fun and after a bit of tweaking, it could be ported to other platforms. It would do well I'm sure. Good job Snail. Good job. ^^'

S

Snail Man

Thank you for the review! I know that sound effects would have been nice, but by the time I'd done everything else, it was after five AM and I was basically falling asleep. I probably couldn't have stayed awake long enough to implement. I always knew the color scheme might be an issue, but it seemed *okay* and I always had more important things to fix, so rather than do a recolor, I let it be. That might have been a mistake considering that smooth and non-frustrating gameplay is basically the most important factor of all, but what's done is done. The Dan character is undoubtedly the most difficult, which is why I gave him such a significant score boost: on the offchance that someone could master him. The upgrades system could have used some descriptions indeed, and even though I try to have as little text as possible in my games, I could have at least stick it in the readme. For the record, here's a description of all the upgrades:

The 'explosion' increases damage by 20% per level, maximum 200% of default
The bullets increase the number of bullets and bullet spread for Nal & Nocturne, number of heads for Dan, and duration that the laser sticks around for Dadio
The speed upgrade is self explanatory
The + upgrade increases health recover rate, cutting the time it takes to start healing after damage and hastening health recharge
The shield increases max health by 8 hp per level (Default hp is 30, so max hp is 70)
The combo upgrades decreases the rate at which the combo bar drains, making it much easier to get combos which not only give you a 2000 point bonus, but also an additional upgrade point for next round

The one place where we really differ is the menu screen. Since there are no options or additional game modes, I personally believe that a traditional menu screen would have felt clunky and unneeded, as it would only have a play and quit button anyway. All your other points are valid, but I stand by the minimalist menu.
Anyway, thanks for playing and enjoying the game, and thanks for the awesome review!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Just played this... While I'll be posting a short review in the GMC Jam voting topic, I did feel I should post here and congratulate you on a really great and fun game! This is NOT because I am in it (although that was great too... :p ) but because you've created a genuinely fun game! Seriously, I really enjoyed playing this and really liked the different attack types and the way they were essentially "difficulty" levels for playing. This gives it loads of replayability, especially with the different upgrade options. So, a VERY solid game, especially given the 72 hour deadline and the amount of content and features that you've packed in. Well done!