GMC Secret Santa 2016 - Deadline Dec 20th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HayManMarc

Hello, fellow GMCers! It's that time of year again!

What time, you ask?

~ The "GMC Secret Santa 2016" time! ~

:banana::bunny::banana: GIFT TRACKER PAGE :banana::bunny::banana:
(See if your gift is ready and download from here on Gift Day.)

>>>> Sign-ups are now closed. <<<<
~ ~ ~
Time to make da gifts!

(The following is copypasta from last year, mostly.)
Uh, Wut?

"GMC Secret Santa" is an event carried out each year where each participant makes some kind of a gift for a "Secret Pal". Then, by December 23rd all gifts are published for all participants to unwrap! Note, however, that the identity of your Santa will remain hidden - it's 'SECRET' Santa, after all.
(Feel free to check the last discussion topic as a reference for how things were done last year.)

Dude, it's only November 18th...

Yeah, I know, but why not? Let's get an early start! This way there's more time for GMC'ers to see this topic and you will have more time to put together a cool gift when the gifting starts. Or.... more time to procrastinate until the last minute! You decide!

How do I sign up?

Well, to sign up, you need to make a post in this topic before the 3rd of December, 0:00 GMT saying you want to participate. You may also state your gift preferences in that post, but be careful about being too specific - you wouldn't want to give your secret Santa a headache, now would you?
On December 3rd, I will make an announcement in this thread that the sign-up period is closed and I'll randomly assign "Secret Pal's" to "Secret Santa's" using the Alicination Method. Soon afterwards, you should get a message in your GMC inbox with the name of your "Secret Pal" and you can start making their gift.

Making the gift

After your "Secret Pal" is assigned, your Secret Santa present must be made and messaged to my GMC inbox before the 20th of December, 23:59 GMT.
Don't publish it here or PM it to your secret pal; it's supposed to be SECRET.
Do take into account your pal's preferences, but try to be discreet. Use whatever means you can devise to maintain your anonymity and keep your identity a secret from your "Secret Pal" as you research his or her preferences. However, sometimes it may be fun to leave little hints to your identity within your gift. Also, and this should go without saying, the gift you give must not be mean spirited, offensive or even break the GMC rules. Additionally, the gift must not be financial (Steam keys, program licences, cash bribes, etc.).

Examples/ideas of what you could make:
  • a new avatar
  • banners or promo images for their games
  • music or sound effects for their WIP
  • "Let's Play" videos of their games
  • a simple game (made with GameMaker, naturally)
  • a holiday video message
  • desktop wallpapers
  • your own idea here
Of course, if you have your own idea for a gift, feel free to make it -- these are just examples!

If at some point you find that you can't make the gift after all (due to lack of time or random circumstances such as runaway trains or time travel misfortunes), please message me about it as soon as possible, and at least 5 days before the December 20th deadline! That way I'll have time to assign your secret pal to someone else.
Please be sure that you will be able to follow through with your obligation to create a gift. Reassigning Secret Santa's to Secret Pal's at the last minute doesn't always work out so well, as you might imagine.

The unwrapping!

By December 23rd, I'll gather all the gifts and publish them for your viewing pleasure (except for those that can't be published, for one reason or another). You're free to share your joy in this topic, comment on whichever gifts others posted here, or even try to guess your Santa. Keep in mind, however, that your Santa's identity may never be revealed.

In a nutshell...
  • to sign up, write a post here before the 3rd of December, 23:59 GMT
  • you can state your preferences in the sign-up post, but please, don't be too specific!
  • after sign-up is closed, your "Secret Pal" name will be messaged to your GMC inbox; you will then have over two weeks to make the gift! (until the 20th of December, 23:59 GMT)
  • once you make the gift, message it to my GMC inbox; don't send it to your secret pal or post it here, it's supposed to be secret!
  • all gifts should be virtual, unless you want the expense of air-mailing a teddy bear to your secret pal
  • when making the gift, try to think what your pal would want; also, the gift should not be rude, offensive, inappropriate, etc.
  • finally, no financial gifts (Steam keys, program licenses etc.)!
  • if you can't make your gift, please PM me as soon as possible and at least 5 days before the December 20th deadline, so that I can assign your secret pal to someone else.
  • by the 23rd of December all gifts will be published here to unwrap (except for those that can't be shown here); then you may try to guess your Santa if you want

Participants so far
(sign-up post link; gift preference)

Standby Santa's
Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays to you all!

"Island of Misfit Fonts" font can be found here

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I would like to participate as well.

No avatars or wallpapers, please. ^^'

(thanks for setting this up, by the way ;) )

A

Aura

I should be able to participate as well. Gift preference: Perhaps something that is not an avatar, a wallpaper or poetry. Quite redundant after all these years, uh? ^^'

Also, I see that you have the resources to maintain a website for this. You would keep one for distributing the gifts as well I think. What I'd find interesting is hosting information about participants on a dedicated webpage. We have had several random incidents where a santa won't know what their pal is like, their interests, dislikes, etc. It could be a better alternative to the built-in GMC "about me" data, as we won't want certain things there. You could contact the participants via PMs. If you the time to do this, a more successful event is ensured.

Jobo

GMC Elder
Merry Christmas

I'll partake. I would, in contrast to everyone else, be quite happy to receive a nice-looking colorful original avatar - but no guarantee that I'll use it if I don't like it!

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
Looks like a great idea, I'll first look at the type of gifts people would want before I'm gonna join or anything.. Just seeing if people are asking for things that I can actually do. Seeing a lot of people are fond of new drawn artwork, this might not be quite for me. I can do some programming or a piano improv for someone though :).
Alternatively, I could be an "extra", if there are any people calling off in December and you have problems reassigning.

HayManMarc

Looks like a great idea, I'll first look at the type of gifts people would want before I'm gonna join or anything.. Just seeing if people are asking for things that I can actually do. Seeing a lot of people are fond of new drawn artwork, this might not be quite for me. I can do some programming or a piano improv for someone though :).
Alternatively, I could be an "extra", if there are any people calling off in December and you have problems reassigning.
You don't necessarily have to make the exact thing your Secret Pal wants, though that's probably preferable. Any little gifty thing should be fine. This is supposed to be for fun, not for stress. :p

Also, I was thinking about making a list of "reservists" who could stand in if someone drops out, so that would be great. would you like to be our first "Standby Santa", @Tthecreator? And should I add you to the list of participants?

RujiK

Me want to play this game. I can only make art junk though.

I want something that is mean spirited, offensive, and even breaks the GMC rules.
Anything weird, funny, confusing, cute, upbeat, or brain-teaser is cool. I also like art. Especially waifu's, animals, or scenery. ANYTHING is good though. Seriously. Whatever you're good at.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
You don't necessarily have to make the exact thing your Secret Pal wants, though that's probably preferable. Any little gifty thing should be fine. This is supposed to be for fun, not for stress. :p

Also, I was thinking about making a list of "reservists" who could stand in if someone drops out, so that would be great. would you like to be our first "Standby Santa", @Tthecreator? And should I add you to the list of participants?
Just add me to the list of Standby Santa. But that will mean that I can make something, but not get something? Or will I get something what that person would actually be receiving? Anyways if I had to make a wishlist it would look like:
An avatar (my current pic is just a T from google images). Anything else is also fine with me. My next project will be something in the theme of factories (if feed the beast and your generic addictive play everyday for a bit game had a baby). So that information could be used.

M

Misu

Ho ho ho. I wont give you coal...

I will give tons of overly sized clown images and an invite to my magical, whimsical world of MisuLand on discord

Just kidding! I will participate, and my gift will be 1 Life-Changing Surprise.

Something that is NOT an avatar of course... it will be something that will change your life forever...

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I always enjoy inflicting something on making something for my giftee. So I'm in -- as always.

No particular preferences for type of gift. But I'd prefer something with low CO2 emissions. Because you know... climate change. And we all have to do our part.

D

Deleted member 467

I always enjoy inflicting something on making something for my giftee. So I'm in -- as always.

No particular preferences for type of gift. But I'd prefer something with low CO2 emissions. Because you know... climate change. And we all have to do our part.
B-but, America's new Fuhrer doesn't believe in climate change! So it's obviously fake /s

S

SyntheticStorm9

I would like to enter

(Preferances include, No avatars please I already have one, I like GOOD pictures, and music that is not CRAPPY that's about it.)
may or may not edit later so you may want to chaeck again later.
P.S. it will change your life more than @Misu's will

Cat

How did I not see this until now? I'm in, after missing the past 2 years! :)

Let's Plays are kind of pointless, because you can complete every game I've ever made in <10 minutes, but aside from that, I don't really have a preference!

Cats
Magic
Nature
Puzzles
Animals
Cooking
Stonework
Source code
Cold weapons*

*Nothing graphic, please

trg601

I would totally do this again if you are still accepting secret Santas! (I know sign-ups were until December third, so that's cool if you aren't still accepting)

I don't really have a preference, but if you wanted to make me a game, I would love that :D!

Last edited:

HayManMarc

Ok....

The SIGN-UP PERIOD is now CLOSED.

Here is the list of "Secret Pals" for all the Secret Santas. They're listed in alphabetical order so you can find yours easier.
Derp! Just kidding! lol

I will now get to work on assigning "Secret Pals" to "Secret Santas". You will receive your Secret Pal via GMC Inbox private message in the next few hours.

Have fun - and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

HayManMarc

Ok....

The SIGN-UP PERIOD is now CLOSED.

Here is the list of "Secret Pals" for all the Secret Santas. They're listed in alphabetical order so you can find yours easier.
Derp! Just kidding! lol

I will now get to work on assigning "Secret Pals" to "Secret Santas". You will receive your Secret Pal via GMC Inbox private message in the next few hours.

Have fun - and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Crickets. *sigh*

Anywayyy...
all of the secret pal names have been PM'ed to their Secret Santas. I left my name out of the "Pal" list since I didn't think it would be fair to the anonymity of whoever would be my Secret Santa. I put @Tthecreator in my place for receiving the gift. Since Tthecreator isn't making a gift (unless in an emergency), I was able to remain in the "Santa" list. So I'll still be able to make a gift for some poor sap a very lucky & fortunate participant.

Boo hoo. Boo hoo hoo. :( I won't be receiving any Secret Santa gift this year unless someone decides to take some extra time to surprise me with something anyway. I guess I'll just run away to the Island of Misfit Toys. (j/k - not really sad about it. lol)

Merry Christmas, GMC!!! Have fun making those gifts! Deadline is December 20th! (See the OP for more details.)

HayManMarc

Hello, Secret Santas!!

Just checking in, since it's been so quiet in here. How's everyone doing with making their gifts? Mine is turning out rather well, I must say, but it has a little ways to go yet.

UPDATE:
I've received one (1) gift for submission from a Secret Santa so far. 12 days left to get your gifts finished and sent in! I guess you could say these are the 12 days of GMC Secret Santa Christmas. :)

"On the first day of GMC Secret Santa Christmas my GMC Secret Santa host gave to me,
a picture of little pear tree."

Last edited:

HayManMarc

Update:

I created a Gift Page where you can track the progress of your gift. This is also where you will be able to download your gift on the 23rd.

So far, I've received 4, almost 5, gifts! Keep 'em coming!!

EDIT: I placed a link to the Gift Page in the OP for easy reference, if needed.

Last edited:
M

MEITdev

Love the idea. Sign me up! (do i get PM about who my secret pal is? :p )

Gift preference: Nothing NSFW :D :D ... will be happy to get anything really ^_^

HayManMarc

Love the idea. Sign me up! (do i get PM about who my secret pal is? :p )

Gift preference: Nothing NSFW :D :D ... will be happy to get anything really ^_^
I'm sorry, MEITdev, but sign-ups were over on the 3rd. Everyone's been assigned. Maybe next year. :( Sorry.

Last edited:

HayManMarc

Thanks, trg601.

So, as you all can see on the Gift Tracker Page, I haven't received any more gifts for giving. Still only 5 have been submitted. Honestly, I'm a bit concerned, so I hope everyone is busy making something and just hasn't mentioned anything about it. We wouldn't want our Secret Pals to have a blue, blue-blue-blue, Christmas, would we? :eek:

Just a reminder, when you finish making your gift, please send it to me via PM/Conversation so as to maintain your anonymity to your Secret Pal.

Also, without further ado...

"On the eighth day of GMC Secret Santa Christmas my GMC Secret Santa host gave to me,
eight mods a-modding."

No disrespect to dadio or Weird Dragon, who are also moderators. :cool: I could have waited until "10", but "mods-a-modding" was closer to "maids-a-milking" and I just couldn't have it any other way. *shrug*​

Status
Not open for further replies.